469 replies to this topic

#41 Stuffdees

Stuffdees

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Poker and Poker

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:52 AM

Gl DN, Hoosier and anyone else who is playing that is associated with this site.

#42 LittleMattsDad

LittleMattsDad

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

View PostPresto14, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 2:47 PM, said:

Um, why? Do you get a prize for ending day 1 with over 100k?
Lol.... well NO. But it seems that pros like to set goals...i know DN always has a goalIf he wanted to start day 2 with 100K is this the same as reaching his goal?I am a casual player, just wondering about tourney play.

#43 GrandRapidsRon

GrandRapidsRon

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Omaha 8

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Pretty much the same thing... except now he has MOMENTUM!

#44 donk4life

donk4life

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

"Phil Gordon EliminatedPhil Gordon is all in preflop from a blind position for 12,000 with {6-Hearts}{5-Diamonds} against his opponent's {K-Diamonds}{J-Diamonds}. The board comes {K-Hearts}{7-Clubs}{7-Diamonds}{10-Hearts}{J-Clubs}, and his opponent wins the pot with two pair, kings and jacks.Phil Gordon is eliminated from the Main Event."I'm rock hard right now

View Postakashenk, on 02 August 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I don't mind folding out hands we beat.

#45 ObeyTheDog

ObeyTheDog

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

View PostLittleMattsDad, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM, said:

Lol.... well NO. But it seems that pros like to set goals...i know DN always has a goalIf he wanted to start day 2 with 100K is this the same as reaching his goal?I am a casual player, just wondering about tourney play.
Setting "goals" that will change your play to reach those goals is a BAD idea. You shouldn't set goals like "I need to make it to 100k today" and then towards the end of the day, start changing your game to make it to 100k and making bad/different decisions to reach an arbitrary and quite frankly, somewhat pointless goal of making "x" amount of chips.But it's perfectly fine as long you're "pro" enough (thanks joethepro) like DN to "set" a goal without adjusting your game in unnecessary ways to reach said goal. It's more of a "wishlist", in that he knows what he has his eyes set on and would like to reach that mark because he feels that is more than enough to play his style of poker the next day and so on and so forth.That help?

It's hard to choose from just one. ~Walt Disney

#46 ObeyTheDog

ObeyTheDog

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

View Postdonk4life, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM, said:

"Phil Gordon EliminatedPhil Gordon is all in preflop from a blind position for 12,000 with {6-Hearts}{5-Diamonds} against his opponent's {K-Diamonds}{J-Diamonds}. The board comes {K-Hearts}{7-Clubs}{7-Diamonds}{10-Hearts}{J-Clubs}, and his opponent wins the pot with two pair, kings and jacks.Phil Gordon is eliminated from the Main Event."I'm rock hard right now
Aw, I really wanted revenge for the 1-outer he pulled on me. Guess I'll have to wait until next month's Giant Head, Chin Dimple and Face Chewing Smile convention.Posted Image

#47 LittleMattsDad

LittleMattsDad

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

I think I understand what you are saying. I am taking the word GOAL to literal. It is what he believes he needs to be at because of blind structure etc...Thanks Dog

#48 Naismith

Naismith

Perry Friedman: I was planning on reloaded through Naismith

• Members
  • 4,556 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Crazy Pineapple

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

View PostObeyTheDog, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM, said:

Aw, I really wanted revenge for the 1-outer he pulled on me.
I'm sure it's posted elsewhere, but could you recap the above hand?
Peace,
Jay

#49 gkunit20

gkunit20

Professor Backwards

• Members
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Anyone know DirtyDutch's real name? He was still in after day one with 38k and played on Sunday, so he should be playing today.

#50 GrandRapidsRon

GrandRapidsRon

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Omaha 8

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

I'm a bit concerned... poker news seems to be updating chip counts every few minutes (been checking the last 15 minutes or so and everytime I check at least a few players have been updated since I last checked just a few minutes ago) and they have Negraneau at 60K... Hope he hasn't lost a chunk and that pokernews just hasn't been paying attention to the TV table./\

#51 Governator

Governator

FCP Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 5,577 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

View PostGrandRapidsRon, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 4:07 PM, said:

I'm a bit concerned... poker news seems to be updating chip counts every few minutes (been checking the last 15 minutes or so and everytime I check at least a few players have been updated since I last checked just a few minutes ago) and they have Negraneau at 60K... Hope he hasn't lost a chunk and that pokernews just hasn't been paying attention to the TV table./\
Don't go by chip counts posted on poker news, I'd wait until Daniel updates us with his real amount. They had him at 60k when he went from 43 to 57k (Prior to his double up).

#52 NoSup4U

NoSup4U

Making Poppinfresh look like a nit

• Members
  • 10,674 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Shorthanded NLHE

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

View PostStuffdees, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM, said:

Gl DN, Hoosier and anyone else who is playing that is associated with this site.
Jeet plays today as well. (Poppinfresh)Mark

#53 JnkPoker

JnkPoker

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Poker.
  • Favorite Poker Game:PKR.com

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

Jason Alexander Doubles Up With Set Over SetA player in middle position raises to 3,000, another player calls, and Jason Alexander calls from the button. The flop comes {Ks}{Jd}{8d}, it's checked to Alexander who bets 15,000, the original raiser moves all in, the third player folds, and Alexander calls all in for 39,100. His opponent shows {Jc}{Js} for a set of jacks, but Alexander shows {Kc}{Kd} for a higher set of kings. His opponent has just one out, but misses as the last two cards come {3h}{9c}. Jason Alexander wins the pot, doubling up to 99,400 in chips. This hand was brought to you free from bad Seinfeld-related jokes; consider it Alexander's free pass this early in the day. Stay tuned for George Costanza references throughout the rest of our coverage. :club:

#54 ObeyTheDog

ObeyTheDog

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

View PostNaismith, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 1:03 PM, said:

I'm sure it's posted elsewhere, but could you recap the above hand?
Only since you asked, as I don't want to beat a dead horse, and it's just a bad beat story.I had 15k in the 3k NLHE WSOP event this year. I had a tough table with Noah Boeken, Dustin Dirksen, Jamie Gold, and Phil Gordon, listed in order of skill. Posted ImageAnyway, Phil plays mostly a preflop game. He seems to base his strategy on his "ability" to pick up blinds rather than playing pots with people like most "pros". For example, his raises, instead of small ball 2.5x-3x, were upwards of 5x from any position. Well with blinds at 150-300 (25), he raised to 1400 twice and first got reraised by me with AK and he folded. Then he got reraised by Noah Boeken and folded angrily visibly showing his preflop frustration that people aren't "respecting" his raises and he hasn't won a pot in awhile. Dustin Dirksen also raised, called a reraise, then when Phil let out for a big continuation bet, Dustin shoved on him with 7 high with a gutshot (weeeee) and Phil angrily folded again. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and was showing his frustration. Maybe it was gameplan, but I doubt it.Anyway, so now after he is whittled back down to 5,500 and the blinds at a mere 150-300 (25 ante), in MP mind you, he open-shoves all of his chips sloppily into the pot. I mean, no matter what hand you have, this is a poor play. If you have AA, its very poor. If you have virtually any hand now, you are risking 5,500 to pick up 650. All because he just wanted to win one pot.Well I woke up with Ah-Ac on the button and obv called. He turns up 4h-4c. Dustin Dirksen said he folded a 4s. And what's the door card? 4d obv. Posted ImageI lost a 1/3 of my stack there, but never really recovered, despite managing to hang on for 5 more hours.I took like a man, I don't think I even said anything about the outcome at the table. I take my beats well now (wasn't always the case). Of course, Phil was very humble in his victory, picking up the 4d from the flop, raising it in the air, and kissing it for the cameras. Classy.I don't want to sound like a Phil basher, because I do suspect a nice guy underneath there somewhere, I have faith in all people and that when adrenaline gets going, even the best of us do stupid things in life and in poker. So it's all good, if I go on to win the Main Event, I don't want all this phil bashing to come back to haunt me and start a raymer/negreanu-esq feud. He actually later apologized for the beat and at his own poor play, so you gotta at least respect that.

#55 rogerwilco

rogerwilco

poker sucks

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

View PostFCP Info2, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 6:56 PM, said:

Daniel:12:01 PM - "TV table today. Updates on break"
Is DN ever not at the TV-table? :club:

#56 Naismith

Naismith

Perry Friedman: I was planning on reloaded through Naismith

• Members
  • 4,556 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Crazy Pineapple

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

View PostObeyTheDog, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 1:25 PM, said:

Only since you asked, as I don't want to beat a dead horse, and it's just a bad beat story.
Ah, yeah, I remember reading that hand. How was Jamie Gold's play?When I got knocked out of the 2000 event, Hellmuth was complaining about a bad beat where he bet out with 55 on a K9x flop. He was raised and called the guy down. His opponent was bluffing but caught a 7 on the river to best his 55. Hellmuth was talking about how he couldn't enjoy winning his 11th bracelet because of this horrendous beat and kept ranting about it while I lost an all in preflop AA vs QQ for, probably, the tournament chip lead. While walking away from the table, someone cut off Hellmuth's whining to say, "Phil, can't you learn something from that guy?", referring to me getting up, shaking the guy's hand and wishing everyone luck.Sadly, this is my best story from the 2007 WSOP. By the way, nothing makes you want to punch someone more than them bitching about losing with 55 on a K9x board during the hand you get knocked out on.
Peace,
Jay

#57 nicki_mo

nicki_mo

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

View PostGovernator, on Wednesday, July 11th, 2007, 3:09 PM, said:

Don't go by chip counts posted on poker news, I'd wait until Daniel updates us with his real amount. They had him at 60k when he went from 43 to 57k (Prior to his double up).
Actually... if you look at the couple of posts from DN, you will see he went WAY down after a good hand THEN doubled up - at least that is how I was reading it - so I doubt he is anywhere near 100k yet... I'd bet he is still close to the 60k posted last.I also don't get the way they update the chip counts. Mostly, throughout all the events, it seems they focus on the top 10 or so and keep them fairly accurate, then the rest just get updated haphazardly... odd, don't you think? I realize that we are talking 600+ players, but still. Surely they could hit each table every 10 mins or so. :::shrug:::

#58 NoSup4U

NoSup4U

Making Poppinfresh look like a nit

• Members
  • 10,674 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Shorthanded NLHE

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

Jeet out :(gg man!Mark

#59 nicki_mo

nicki_mo

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

1 minute ago | Posted by MeanGene Daniel Negreanu Eliminates Susie Isaacs and Wins a Huge PotA player in middle position raised to 3,100 and Susie Isaacs and Daniel Negreanu both called. The flop came and the original raiser bet 7,000. Isaacs moved in for 19,700 and Negreanu called. The raiser then moved all-in and had Negreanu covered. "I think I've got you guys crushed...but I'm not sure," Negreanu said before making the call. He turned over pocket Deuces for bottom set while Isaacs held and the other player . The on the turn meant that the other players were drawing dead, and Negreanu now has 145,000.

#60 Kid DynOmite

Kid DynOmite

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 664 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Mr. Negreanu's poker blog

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

# Wed Jul 11 2007 20:48 GMTDaniel Negreanu Eliminates Susie Isaacs and Wins a Huge PotA player in middle position raised to 3,100 and Susie Isaacs and Daniel Negreanu both called. The flop came {2-Spades}{5-Hearts}{A-Diamonds} and the original raiser bet 7,000. Isaacs moved in for 19,700 and Negreanu called. The raiser then moved all-in and had Negreanu covered."I think I've got you guys crushed...but I'm not sure," Negreanu said before making the call. He turned over pocket Deuces for bottom set while Isaacs held {A-Clubs}{J-Spades} and the other player {A-Hearts}{K-Hearts}. The {6-Spades} on the turn meant that the other players were drawing dead, and Negreanu now has 145,000.
Robbob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users