Reckless Driving Help

I got pulled over yesterday for going what the cop wrote down as 90-100 mph last night at about 10:30. In Connecticut the law is anything over 85 mph is considered to be reckless driving. He told me that he was following me for a mile. When he talked to me he was a real jerk. I was saying "yup" and "nope" instead of "yes sir" and "no sir," but he threatened to bring me down to the station for not taking it seriously. He then told me not to talk like that and drove off before me.Interesting facts about the case:-I had 2 friends in the car.-When he wrote down my car color he wrote down tan when it's like a dark grey.-He was not wearing glasses. He was older so he might need them.My current plan: Act as a lawyer, plead innocent, and say he was not prepared to say how fast I was going. I'm also debating on saying how unreasonably nasty he was to me.Any advice? I don't want to get a lawyer.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got pulled over yesterday for going what the cop wrote down as 90-100 mph last night at about 10:30. [...]Any advice? I don't want to get a lawyer.
Stop driving so fast.
My current plan: Act as a lawyer, plead innocent, and say he was not prepared to say how fast I was going. I'm also debating on saying how unreasonably nasty he was to me.
Cops are allowed to be nasty to you; in fact, they are expected to be in many jurisdictions. His word is considered gold in the courtroom; yours is automatically suspect since you are the ticketee. You might as well plea not guilty (don't claim anything). In some jurisdictions the arresting officer is required to show up at the trial, which is typically scheduled at a later date. Many officers cannot be bothered to show up for traffic court and you could walk with no fine. But in other jurisdictions, ticketing is the main income for the police force and they are required to show up. But since you were speeding, the color of the car and the arresting officers attitude have absolutely nothing to do with your guilt. And thats how the court will see it.

What does having 2 friends in the car have to do with anything?You were showing off, acting like a jackass, and got caught. To compound the problem, you copped an attitude on the guy that pulled you over, so he cut you no breaks at all, which if you'd just have kept your mouth shut, he probably would have.Now you're gonna go to court and say that he "may need glasses because he is old"?????Who are you going to say this to? A judge, who's probably OLDER than the officer, who likely also needs glasses....Judging from the way you've posted this, you're NOT going to do yourself any favours by taking this to court, so you have two choices here:1) Hire a lawyer so that they will be able to represent you to the court as a person with some decorum, instead of the arrogant jerk that you will look like if you get up there and belittle the officer.or 2) Be a man, admit that you fucked up, pay the fine, and learn from your mistake.You KNOW you were speeding, you KNOW that you were ignorant to the officer, and now you KNOW what the consequences to those actions are. Suck it up princess.

I got pulled over yesterday for going what the cop wrote down as 90-100 mph last night at about 10:30. In Connecticut the law is anything over 85 mph is considered to be reckless driving. He told me that he was following me for a mile. When he talked to me he was a real jerk. I was saying "yup" and "nope" instead of "yes sir" and "no sir," but he threatened to bring me down to the station for not taking it seriously. He then told me not to talk like that and drove off before me.Interesting facts about the case:-I had 2 friends in the car.-When he wrote down my car color he wrote down tan when it's like a dark grey.-He was not wearing glasses. He was older so he might need them.My current plan: Act as a lawyer, plead innocent, and say he was not prepared to say how fast I was going. I'm also debating on saying how unreasonably nasty he was to me.Any advice? I don't want to get a lawyer.
Please be sure to let us know how horribly this goes for you. I, for one, can't wait.

Well...the fees from a lawyer will cost more then paying this fine. I wonder what my insurance will do though. I really don't think I was being a **** to the officer. I was just giving really quick answers. I'm not used to being pulled over so I might of been a little frustrated. No way was I getting any breaks either. I got to drive home. I almost had to go to the station. I think that, that was the only break that I could of gotten. We all know that the system is corrupt. I can pay off a lawyer to get me off or I can basically take what the judge gives me.

Please be sure to let us know how horribly this goes for you. I, for one, can't wait.
It definately could go ugly. I don't know the law and I don't know the procedures that he was supposed to take. However, the fact that he was so off on the color of my car might help me. He also said between 90-100. I don't know if they always do that or he couldn't get the actual speed.
I was just giving really quick answers. I'm not used to being pulled over so I might of been a little frustrated. No way was I getting any breaks either.
I've not seen you deny that you were driving in excess of 90mph as yet. What is the speed limit? As for being frustrated or nervous, do you not think that 95% of the people that officer stops in a day are the exact same way? It's a stressful situation. A traffic stop is ALSO the most dangerous thing that officer does each and every day, so it's stressful for him as well. If you'd have just shown him the respect that is appropriate in the situation, you very well may have caught a break.Most of the time, the guys will either give you a warning, or at the VERY least drop the speed down to the next lowest level that doesn't involve court or loss of demerit points (if applicable).Face it, you caused your own problems, twice...First by speeding then with your attitude.

Hire a lawyer. Dress nicely for the court date. The lawyer will get it dropped to 84 and you can avoid the reckless driving part.

Well...the fees from a lawyer will cost more then paying this fine. I wonder what my insurance will do though. I really don't think I was being a **** to the officer. I was just giving really quick answers. I'm not used to being pulled over so I might of been a little frustrated. No way was I getting any breaks either. I got to drive home. I almost had to go to the station. I think that, that was the only break that I could of gotten. We all know that the system is corrupt. I can pay off a lawyer to get me off or I can basically take what the judge gives me.
Are you really this dense? Yes, by not showing respect to the officer, you were being a dick. One word answers, not using sir or ma'am, and being frustrated are not going to end well for you. As far as the system being corrupt, you should think about why you got pulled over. Going 90mph is illegal for a reason.Good luck in court without a lawyer. You've not shown a single ounce of remorse, just contempt. That's going to be evident to the court.You should read the responses that people post when you choose to make threads. Someone already told you that the color of your car has nothing to do with the fact that you were speeding. It's a moot point. You'd have more success arguing that you were speeding because you are on your period.
-He was not wearing glasses. He was older so he might need them.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAWelcome to the 80s, there's things called contacts.Welcome to the 90s, there's something called LASIK.He got your car color wrong, so you think they're gonna say "Oh, must have been a car with the same plate number, but a different color! Not guilty!"?I thought you were going to end it by saying you thought you got the cop pregnant and ask for XXEddie's advice on the subject.
We all know that the system is corrupt.
It is?
It definately could go ugly. I don't know the law and I don't know the procedures that he was supposed to take. However, the fact that he was so off on the color of my car might help me. He also said between 90-100. I don't know if they always do that or he couldn't get the actual speed.
So, how fast were you going?As far as the bolded part goes, "Excessive speed" is a ticket in PA, when they KNOW you're going over a certain speed. My brother got "Excessive speed, over 80 in a 40" because the cop didn't time/radar him.
Are you really this dense? Yes, by not showing respect to the officer, you were being a dick. One word answers, not using sir or ma'am, and being frustrated are not going to end well for you. As far as the system being corrupt, you should think about why you got pulled over. Going 90mph is illegal for a reason.Good luck in court without a lawyer. You've not shown a single ounce of remorse, just contempt. That's going to be evident to the court.You should read the responses that people post when you choose to make threads. Someone already told you that the color of your car has nothing to do with the fact that you were speeding. It's a moot point. You'd have more success arguing that you were speeding because you are on your period.
Well, what words the cop and I exchanged are over with. I'm basically looking for advice from people who have gone through this before. If they got a lawyer, what did they say to get them off? I might or might not get a lawyer. Since I rely on my dad I'm not in charge of that decision. However, I'd like to save my family the money.
I got pulled over yesterday for going what the cop wrote down as 90-100 mph last night at about 10:30. Police can write tickets for the speed they see on the gun, it doesn't have to be the speed that gets locked into the gun. In Connecticut the law is anything over 85 mph is considered to be reckless driving. He told me that he was following me for a mile. When he talked to me he was a real jerk. probably because you were driving like a real douchebagI was saying "yup" and "nope" instead of "yes sir" and "no sir," but he threatened to bring me down to the station for not taking it seriously. He then told me not to talk like that and drove off before me. On top of driving like a douchebag, you were acting like a douchebag are you really surprised he didn't cut you some slack?Interesting facts about the case:-I had 2 friends in the car. Yeah and the sky was up, what of it?-When he wrote down my car color he wrote down tan when it's like a dark grey.see above-He was not wearing glasses. He was older so he might need them. Yep there's the crux of your defense, it was a blind cop that wrote you a ticket."facts"I do not think this word means what you think it means My current plan: Act as a lawyer, plead innocent, and say he was not prepared to say how fast I was going. see my first response I'm also debating on saying how unreasonably nasty he was to me. Seriously, are you eight or something?Any advice? I don't want to get a lawyer. I'm with Jeep on this one.

Well, I'm not a lawyer...and I'm trying to think of defense. It's quite fun actually. I've come up with some really creative ideas in the past hour.

just pay the fine and get it over with and slow the hell down
The fine is not the problem. I may lose my license and my insurance might double. The fine/community service is the least of my worries. I was not given a fine. That is more than likely a bad thing.
Well, I'm not a lawyer...and I'm trying to think of defense. It's quite fun actually. I've come up with some really creative ideas in the past hour.
"I was a little tipsy and late for my AA meeting and..."
Since I rely on my dad
Ding Ding Ding. Anybody NOT see this one coming? Grow up. Take responsibility for what you did instead of looking for excuses or technicalities.Were you going over 90mph and acting like a jackass? Did you get caught? Now face the consequences. Don't cry to daddy.
"I was a little tipsy and late for my AA meeting and..."
Exactly...can I use that one?
I had people convinced that I wasn't this dumb, but apparently I am
You're screwed.I have many cop friends, and have fixed tickets for friends (shut up sick thread) and the first thing the cop asks me when I ask him to help me out is "Was the person a jerk?" In your case, the answer is yes.Yessir, Nossir. Respect man, its easy and makes things go smooth.Please film it when you play Matlock and come up with some lame excuse or defense.Get an attorney or pay the ticket. Much like a tranny at 3am, you're going down.
Ding Ding Ding. Anybody NOT see this one coming? Grow up. Take responsibility for what you did instead of looking for excuses or technicalities.Were you going over 90mph and acting like a jackass? Did you get caught? Now face the consequences. Don't cry to daddy.
I started this thread for help...not to complain. I wasn't expecting anybody to cry for me, but maybe some advice from people who have gone through it before. I am looking for excuses or anything to get my charges lowered. I think that I am trying to take responsibilty by not making my dad get a lawyer if he doesn't have to. Lawyers just make excuses or pay people off anyways...only their excuses sound better.
I started this thread for help...not to complain. I wasn't expecting anybody to cry for me, but maybe some advice from people who have gone through it before. I am looking for excuses or anything to get my charges lowered. I think that I am trying to take responsibilty by not making my dad get a lawyer if he doesn't have to. Lawyers just make excuses or pay people off anyways...only their excuses sound better.
nope. just get the lawyer