34 replies to this topic

#1 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:46:00Protect Your Hand When Gavin's AroundIn early postion Gavin Smith moved all-in and Jon Friedberg started thinking about calling. Friedberg has been deliberate in his decision-making, and he took his time separating out the amount he'd have left if he just called. It was a measly stack of around 10K, which Friedberg joked were his "bluffing chips." Before he had made any move, Smith reached over for Friedberg's cards to have a look for himself. Some minor commotion was raised, with Smith saying "You should protect your cards if you don't want anyone looking at them." Friedberg eventually mucked....guess I really should have put this post in the Sticky for this event.

#2 HubDub04

HubDub04

Grindin'

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Men, C0ck, Drinking, School, Love to take it up the ... well you get the picture.
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold Em'

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

Well if the action is to Friedberg all in, then its not that bad. Bad etiquette yes, but illegal, i'm not sure.
Hub Dub 04 (Stars)
BeatUontehRiver (FTP)
Hub Dub 04 (Cake)
Luck_Comes (UB)

#3 silkyjonson

silkyjonson

steppin out

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 9:52 AM, said:

Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:46:00Protect Your Hand When Gavin's AroundIn early postion Gavin Smith moved all-in and Jon Friedberg started thinking about calling. Friedberg has been deliberate in his decision-making, and he took his time separating out the amount he'd have left if he just called. It was a measly stack of around 10K, which Friedberg joked were his "bluffing chips." Before he had made any move, Smith reached over for Friedberg's cards to have a look for himself. Some minor commotion was raised, with Smith saying "You should protect your cards if you don't want anyone looking at them." Friedberg eventually mucked....guess I really should have put this post in the Sticky for this event.
ummmm not really a big deal. Gavin is actually giving Friedberg an advantage, he can see Gavin's reaction to his hand.

#4 rog

rog

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

Reached over and looked at his opponent's live hand? You can't tell me that's not illegal. Okay, you can, but I might not believe you. If this hand gets folded, Gavin has no right to know what cards he was playing.
Rog

"I got it, I got it. Last words: I dig music! . . . I'M ON DRUGS!"

#5 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

View Postsilkyjonson, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 9:01 AM, said:

ummmm not really a big deal. Gavin is actually giving Friedberg an advantage, he can see Gavin's reaction to his hand.
It is a big deal. It would NOT be legal in tournament play for Friedberg to show his hand. And Friedberg has the right to muck without showing his hand.

#6 David_Nicoson

David_Nicoson

Official Forum Me

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • Interests:Poker<br />Poker<br />Sex<br />Sleep<br />baseball<br />softball<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Axis and Allies and other lesser board games<br />Chess<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Poker
  • Favorite Poker Game:pot-limit Euchre

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM, said:

Before he had made any move, Smith reached over for Friedberg's cards to have a look for himself. Some minor commotion was raised, with Smith saying "You should protect your cards if you don't want anyone looking at them."
That's crap. He should get a penalty.
QUOTE(bleacherbum3 @ Friday, February 29th, 2008, 3:28 AM) View Post
I'm invincible. Like Super Mario when he gets that star thingy.

#7 milbucksfans

milbucksfans

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

How anyone can trivialize a blatantly illegal move like this is beyond me. When's the last time you let someone handle your cards at the table without asking you?

#8 silkyjonson

silkyjonson

steppin out

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 10:06 AM, said:

It is a big deal. It would NOT be legal in tournament play for Friedberg to show his hand. And Friedberg has the right to muck without showing his hand.
Just saying I don't know if I would go making threads about it. But clearly this is a very important subject for you so by all means lets call up the WSOP and get this dealt with.

#9 ghostlove

ghostlove

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:24 AM

gavin is the man.

#10 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

View Postsilkyjonson, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 9:23 AM, said:

Just saying I don't know if I would go making threads about it. But clearly this is a very important subject for you so by all means lets call up the WSOP and get this dealt with.
I'll try and remember to check with you next time before I start a new thread to ensure it meets your standards.

#11 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 32,348 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

Isn't any player at the table permitted to see mucked cards at the end of a hand if they wish?I thought I heard that somewhere. Maybe it was a dream.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#12 fatman

fatman

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

View Postghostlove, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 1:24 PM, said:

gavin is the man.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

#13 silkyjonson

silkyjonson

steppin out

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM, said:

Isn't any player at the table permitted to see mucked cards at the end of a hand if they wish?I thought I heard that somewhere. Maybe it was a dream.
nah he did'nt call so no one has a right, the OP is right no one should ever touch your cards. that being said GS is probably drunk and messing around.

#14 BeaverStyle

BeaverStyle

Come get some.

• Members
  • 7,023 posts
  • Interests:uh..... poker?
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Texas Hold-em

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

so, wait, opponent was thinking about calling, and gavin smith reached over, and looked at his cards?Explain to me how that's not illegal.
I may not be a meteorologist, but it sure looks like it's rainin' bitches!

#15 TheCinciKid

TheCinciKid

Micro Limit Superstar

• Members
  • 3,452 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Baseball, Poker, The Bengals, Poker, Golf, Poker, Movies, Poker, Fantasy Sports, and a little Politics and Current Events.
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold'em

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:54 AM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 1:45 PM, said:

Yes and no, if you call a bet on the end with the losing hand and muck, it's legal for anyone who wants to to ask to see those cards. It's considered very bad etiquette and very rarely done, but it is legal. I think the situation the OP is referring to is a little different b/c Friedberg could still fold, in which case it would not be legal for anyone to look at his hand unless he shows it.
"If you're too careful, your whole life can become a ****in' grind." - Mike McDermott, Rounders

my (resurrected) poker blog:
http://cincikid.blogspot.com

#16 FoxwoodsPro

FoxwoodsPro

FCPs Black Sheep

• Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:54 AM

View Postghostlove, on Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 9:24 AM, said:

gavin is the man.

*********KING OF GEN POP*********

#17 dbrent2

dbrent2

FORE RIGHT!!!

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:GOLF and CARDS
  • Favorite Poker Game:Whatever game I am playing at the moment

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Gavin was wrong. Doing something like this in a charity tournament is fine with me, but not when there is big money on the line...
“Erick Lindgren and Erik Seidel have very different styles. As you can see Lindgren wears his cap backwards and it’s slightly faded. While Seidel wears a newer cap, facing forward” — Kenna James

#18 Billy

Billy

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Maybe he was just joking around and wasn't actually going to look at them...

#19 Moneyball16

Moneyball16

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Baseball, Movies
  • Favorite Poker Game:2-7TD or Holdem

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

Im sure there was a misunderstanding. Gavin wouldnt seriously do this. He knows it would be wrong.

#20 socalpoker_j

socalpoker_j

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

Where's Phil Gordon at to assess the 30 min. penalty?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users