Just Watched "some Kind Of Monster"

So I should start this off by saying I hate metallica. Not a little, a whole fuking lot. I don't hate them because they sue their fans. I don't hate them because they've "sold out". I'm not one of these guys that loves old metallica with the orignal bassest, but hates the black album onward. I hate their whole body of work, from start to finish. I'm not anti-metal, but I'm not really a big metal fan either. My roomate is a huge metal fan ( and metal snob) and I like some of the stuff he's exposed me to like Testament, Death and King Diamond emmensely. I have soft spots for bands like Preist and Madien, and think some slayer is legitmately legaendary. But metalica has always blown. THere might have been a short time when they really were a "heavy" band, early on, before there was much like it. But it's so mediorce compared with some stuff that went out at the time, and particularly stuff that came after it. I think they are just about the most overrated band of all time ( except maybe for the Eagles and Aerosmyth).That being said, Some kind of Monster is absolutely fancinating. Watching the drama of the band unfold, the possible break up when Hetfield is in rehab, the vulernablity and stupidity of James, the absurdity incarnate that is Lars ( just about every single thing he says in the movie is hilarious in Unintentional comedy sort of way). My favorite parts are when they are meeting with their psycologist/ success coach Dr. Phil ( not the one from TV). This conman/douchebag/psychologist prior to metaliica was brought into like dysfunctional sports teams, meeting with people, getting them to talk out their problems and what not. Watching him weasel his way into metalicca's life, latching onto them and becoming like mental health guru to james is so bizarre. The whole time i was thinking maybe I should get my psyche doctorate so I can con rich morons into hiring me and thinking they need my services. THe movie just has so many pricelss gems in it, and is bizarrely endearing in a certain way, and obnoxious as hell in other ways. And watching the band write retarded songs and lyrics is just too good for word. If you've ever wondered how a bloated, spoiled by their own success, 20 years past relavancy rock band makes a bad album, this film answers that question for you. (Where were these guys when U2 was making "all that I left behind?")And this film pretty much confirms what I've always suspected, that Lars Ulrich is the biggest doucche in the history of popular music.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thread got derailed early by ppl reacting to my Metalica hate, and not focusing on the magic of SKoM. The prospect of deleted scenes makes me giddy.     Agree completely about rhcp and sublime.

Yeah, BigD struggles with the grammar and spellingAnd you're right. BigD is the reason Bush is president. You've drawn a correct conclusion.You are good at ranting though

You are incorrect, as usual.

I like Metallica. It's all subjective. I hate Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I think they are peices of overrated cow dung. Slayer is a great band. Testament too, don't see many people say anything about them. Saw them in concert like...geez...18 year ago or something. That's all I have to say really.Carry on.

I like Metallica. It's all subjective. I hate Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I think they are peices of overrated cow dung. Slayer is a great band. Testament too, don't see many people say anything about them. Saw them in concert like...geez...18 year ago or something. That's all I have to say really.Carry on.
Oh yeah, I mean priest and madien are cow dung, but they are funny cow dung. Metalica isn't funny ( except maybe enter sandman). Mostly they make my *** twitch. I am biter about this movie due to the fact that "frantic" has been in my head for two straight days.
Oh yeah, I mean priest and madien are cow dung, but they are funny cow dung. Metalica isn't funny ( except maybe enter sandman). Mostly they make my *** twitch. I am biter about this movie due to the fact that "frantic" has been in my head for two straight days.
Yeah, I had the same problem too after watching it. I hate their last album. I need a nap.

I was so into Metallica in like 9th grade that it's hard for me to give them any kind of real evaluation. I listen to them maybe twice a year.My musical taste has really changed in the last few weeks, though.And the worst band ever is U2. It's not close.

I agree entirely with everything you wrote about that movie.The entire band, espcially Lars, could not have come of any worse.That being said, I like Metallica.I just have to pretend that that movie and their last CD didn't happen.Also, once I saw a Metallica shirt that also had Spongebob on it.I'm pretending that didn't happen also.

I agree entirely with everything you wrote about that movie.The entire band, espcially Lars, could not have come of any worse.That being said, I like Metallica.I just have to pretend that that movie and their last CD didn't happen.Also, once I saw a Metallica shirt that also had Spongebob on it.I'm pretending that didn't happen also.
So I should start this off by saying I hate metallica. Not a little, a whole fuking lot. I don't hate them because they sue their fans. I don't hate them because they've "sold out". I'm not one of these guys that loves old metallica with the orignal bassest, but hates the black album onward. I hate their whole body of work, from start to finish.
i have no reason to read any further...this is already the single greatest thread ever created
I was so into Metallica in like 9th grade that it's hard for me to give them any kind of real evaluation. I listen to them maybe twice a year.My musical taste has really changed in the last few weeks, though.And the worst band ever is U2. It's not close.
word

I have this movie but have yet to watch it. I'm not a Metallica fan, but I thought it looked fascinating and hoped it would support my opinion that Lars Ullrich is a festering vagina.

As a Metallica fan, I decided to respond to this immediately. Now, in the general sense of the word you, I am all for people who want to hate Metallica. They might not be the greatest metal band of all time. They might even be overrated. They might suck big donkey ****. If that's what you (again, in the general sense of the word) feel, then more power to you. Rock on. To each his own, right? Freedom of speech, all that nonsense. However, if you (the illiterate dipshit who posted this) want to exercise the right to freedom of speech, it's really quite vital to know what the **** you are doing, you pimple on the face of human society. What the **** is wrong with you? Have you ever heard of the shift key? Or maybe even something called a dictionary? Did you even make it PAST grammar school? If you managed to somehow graduate from high school, then I am shocked and appalled at our education system, because this has got to be the worst example of spelling and grammar I have ever read, INCLUDING the homework assignments I've seen eight year olds do. I am surprised you don't move backwards, you are THAT dumb. And because you are THAT dumb, anything you might have said worth reading in this is totally shot to hell and has lost ALL credibility. If you want something you type or say to be considered important or worth reading, then go back to school, pay attention to all of your grammar lessons, and THEN use the internet. God, people like you who actually have the balls to type their thought processes out and post it onto the internet for smart people to read make me want to vomit. It's people like you who are RUINING this country. People like YOU are the reason why George W. is the ****ing President! Do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut, your hands AWAY from your keyboard and do something useful with your time: go shove a screwdriver in your eye and turn it 360 degrees clockwise.

As a Metallica fan, I decided to respond to this immediately. Now, in the general sense of the word you, I am all for people who want to hate Metallica. They might not be the greatest metal band of all time. They might even be overrated. They might suck big donkey ****. If that's what you (again, in the general sense of the word) feel, then more power to you. Rock on. To each his own, right? Freedom of speech, all that nonsense. However, if you (the illiterate dipshit who posted this) want to exercise the right to freedom of speech, it's really quite vital to know what the **** you are doing, you pimple on the face of human society. What the **** is wrong with you? Have you ever heard of the shift key? Or maybe even something called a dictionary? Did you even make it PAST grammar school? If you managed to somehow graduate from high school, then I am shocked and appalled at our education system, because this has got to be the worst example of spelling and grammar I have ever read, INCLUDING the homework assignments I've seen eight year olds do. I am surprised you don't move backwards, you are THAT dumb. And because you are THAT dumb, anything you might have said worth reading in this is totally shot to hell and has lost ALL credibility. If you want something you type or say to be considered important or worth reading, then go back to school, pay attention to all of your grammar lessons, and THEN use the internet. God, people like you who actually have the balls to type their thought processes out and post it onto the internet for smart people to read make me want to vomit. It's people like you who are RUINING this country. People like YOU are the reason why George W. is the ****ing President! Do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut, your hands AWAY from your keyboard and do something useful with your time: go shove a screwdriver in your eye and turn it 360 degrees clockwise.
Yeah, BigD struggles with the grammar and spellingAnd you're right. BigD is the reason Bush is president. You've drawn a correct conclusion.You are good at ranting though
  • Like 1
I can't help but wonder if you mean clockwise from his persective as he turns the screwdriver or clockwise from the perspective of someone watching him turn the screwdriver. [shift]?
I know sarcasm doesn't work over the internet sometimes.When we are being sarcastic we use the acronym 'sw.'Thanks.Bolded part is the funniest.
I will say this, this is the most impassioned plea for grammer and spelling ( the lowest form of of internet slam) I've ever seen. But it's still exactly what it is, a spelling and grammer spam. Sorry that I think your favorite band is complete dogshit.For the record, I was president of my high schools honor society, was a national merit scholar, who's scholarship I used in part to fund my Northwestern University education. What I don't give as **** about is writing out my posts in MSWord, using the spell check, then copying them ontio this form. When FCP gets a spell check button, I will gladly push it. Untill then, fuk straight off, I don't care. I have nothing but contempt for prescrpitive grammer, I really don't care if my words are spelled correctly or not on an online forum. Because, you see, I'm not trying to impress anyone with the ASSS-THET-TICK of my posts, but rather the content of them. Try staying on topic in a thread, IE why metalica sucks or perhaps denfending them. But belittling someone's agruement not on the content of it, but on it's spelling and grammer is the single lamest way to flame anyone ever. Yours was rather specatularly anal and literate, but still fundimentally lame Do you know how pathetic it is to claim the fall of western society rests on not putting my I before my E, and dangling a participle? Do you realize how insanely anal your whole post was? Get a fuking clue.But you nailed it on the head, people like me are the reason that GWB is president. Why, you ask? Because in 2000, during my post graduation exixtential crisis I embracd extreme leftest politics for a brief while (this phase preceded the nihilistic phase, the one I'm still currently in). I was pretty foolish for a while, and I did what all extreme leftest fools did in 2000 ( the ones that voted at least)... I voted for Nader. So I'll give you points for accuracy, but that's about it. Master of puppets is horse crap, btw.

Whether they sold out or not Metallica is a great band, if your not a fan of that type of music its your problem. But to fans of metal and rock Metallica made some legendary music (although I agree that their new album was subpar). Saying all that I agree that Lars is a piece of ****, but lots of great bands have douchebags. One of my favorite bands of all time is Guns and Roses... Axle is the biggest ****** of all time, but he still made some ****ing awesome music with the band.BigD I can't slam you for your argument because they have done questionable things (Lars being a ******, James being crazy, whole Napster ordeal), so they can come off as being douches. But everytime I hear one of their older songs on the radio or when I'm listening to one of their CD's I turn it up full blast and go nuts in my car or house so I will always love them.

Whether they sold out or not Metallica is a great band, if your not a fan of that type of music its your problem. But to fans of metal and rock Metallica made some legendary music (although I agree that their new album was subpar). Saying all that I agree that Lars is a piece of ****, but lots of great bands have douchebags. One of my favorite bands of all time is Guns and Roses... Axle is the biggest ****** of all time, but he still made some ****ing awesome music with the band.BigD I can't slam you for your argument because they have done questionable things (Lars being a ******, James being crazy, whole Napster ordeal), so they can come off as being douches. But everytime I hear one of their older songs on the radio or when I'm listening to one of their CD's I turn it up full blast and go nuts in my car or house so I will always love them.
Did you read my post? I don't dislike metal, I dislike metalica. and believe me, not all fans of metal like them. Lars is a terrible drummer, is double bass is about the wost in recorded history. Their Guitar parts, while rather fast for the time, were basic and boring. Thier first bassist was okay, but jason sucked.
Did you read my post? I don't dislike metal, I dislike metalica. and believe me, not all fans of metal like them. Lars is a terrible drummer, is double bass is about the wost in recorded history. Their Guitar parts, while rather fast for the time, were basic and boring. Thier first bassist was okay, but jason sucked.
Yes I did read your post, I meant that people in general who don't like Metallica tend to talk a lot of crap because of some of the things they have done. I'll make it more clear next time.And I agree that Lars isn't a great drummer, but I think all the bandmates styles' meshed, and they made lots of albums that I highly enjoy. It is an aquired taste and I have no problem with you not liking them. I guess my point is that they have 100's of thousands of fans who have bought their music even though not all metal fans like them, so whether you like them or not they have accomplished a lot and deserve to be recognized as one of the top metal bands of all time.