Paul Shirley Got Axed By Espn For Writing This

I disagree with you guys. I thought the article was very inappropriate. I'm not mad at him for not donating money, but the comments about how the Hatians could have avoided everything and about birth control riled me up. He should go to Haiti right now and tell all the kids who are now orphans that this could have been all avoided if their dead parents built the buildings better and had less sex.

I disagree with you guys. I thought the article was very innappropriate. I'm not mad at him for not donating money, but the comments about how the Hatians could have avoided everything and about birth control riled me up. He should go to Haiti right now and tell all the kids who are now orphans that this could have been all avoided if their dead parents built the buildings better and had less sex.
he definitely weakened his argument with the attempt at the condom humor - but like mother theresa telling all those poor people not to use birth control - there is at least an argument there

I'm not saying that he isn't correct for a lot of his comments. There just needs to be a level of sensitivity shown, especially if you are a member of the media and what you write is going to be read by a lot of people.

This is where I disaagree - call him and ass fine - rag on him - berate him - but really who in Haiti is going to read Paul Shirley and be offendedpeople are entitled to their opinions even if they are assinine - i'm happy people stepped up ad donated and wanted to help but do they really need to be offended and sensitive - they donated 10 bucks they aren't jesus - how sensitive do people really need to bemaybe if he wrote this right after Katrina i'd feel a little different - not sure

His message seems to be the same for Katrina, victims of the tsunami, and Haiti. I don't think anyone in Haiti will read his column, but it is offensive to the people who are donating money and to the people who are over there volunteering. I don't think it makes a difference whether someone donated $10 or 1 mil, it is equally offensive.I just read his response to all the outrage, and he still doesn't get it. I'm glad he got fired.In his first paragraph of his response he says "In writing a column about the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, it was not my intent to suggest that I don't care about the fate of Haiti, or that I am not sympathetic to the people who make up the huge numbers and heartbreaking images we see flashed across our television and computer screens"Yet he stands by all the comments that he made which does not show any sympathy or care. Putting a disclaimer that you have sympathy before making comments that show absolutely no sympathy is a load of crap to me.

The point is, this isn't like giving a bum a dollar when he's begging for one, the metaphor he uses in the piece. This is giving a bum medical care after he gets hit by a car running a red light as the bum crosses the street. for fucks sakes, people are dying.. have some ****ing compassion. This is about providing emergency medical care, to make sure legs aren't amputated with saws from a hardware store. This is about showing humanity in the face of a disaster of epic proportions, and I question if this ******* has any humanity at all to say shit like this. If he can turn on the TV and look at the devastation, if he can read the death counts and the injury counts, and say " ah well, **** 'em", then he's just a monster.

The point is, this isn't like giving a bum a dollar when he's begging for one, the metaphor he uses in the piece. This is giving a bum medical care after he gets hit by a car running a red light as the bum crosses the street. for fucks sakes, people are dying.. have some ****ing compassion. This is about providing emergency medical care, to make sure legs aren't amputated with saws from a hardware store. This is about showing humanity in the face of a disaster of epic proportions, and I question if this ******* has any humanity at all to say shit like this. If he can turn on the TV and look at the devastation, if he can read the death counts and the injury counts, and say " ah well, **** 'em", then he's just a monster.
thank god! When I saw that you had posted I thought you were going to disagree with me. **** that guy!