Making a new thread cause the old title makes finding in a search a bit difficult. Before True Blood's premiere last night HBO had a 20 second teaser of the show.You can see it on HBO's new site for the series: http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thronesThe original pilot has been seen by a few people in the press whoa re giving it glowing reviews, though 2 of the actresses have been recast so the first episode is going to be redone when filming begins again.Looks great.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

The problem with the old thread has to do with people discussing the book series with important plot points and not using spoilers. Didn't it say coming in 2011? This will give me time to read the books even though I swore off reading book series until all the books are available. This series may never be finished.

The problem with the old thread has to do with people discussing the book series with important plot points and not using spoilers. Didn't it say coming in 2011? This will give me time to read the books even though I swore off reading book series until all the books are available. This series may never be finished.
The series will likely never be finished, however, these books are definitely worth a read. They work well, even as stand alone projects. Plus, if you wait, you'll be waiting for many, many years, and you really shouldn't deprive yourself of these books for that long.
  • 4 months later...

Don't know if anyone follows #gameofthrones or not, but http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/ is the website done by the people making the show, with occasional blog updates and stuff that's going on. There isn't too much older stuff on the site, and you can blow through it in a half hour, but there's some good pictures and short interviews with the cast/staff.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wish jadaki still posted here, I have a bone to pick with him about this series of books.
Somebody here -- I want to say one of the actual good poker players who is a Dodgers fan, whatever that guy's name is -- suggested the series in a random thread somewhere a few years back. It took me about three days to read the first 200 pages of Game of Thrones, and on the fourth day I blew through the next 400 pages, bought the second book in the series, and read more than half of it. Within a week, I'd finished all four books in the series. I'm not sure what bone you're picking, but I'd love to take off my Angry Internet Dick skirt and put on my (highly ironic) ass-masking Jadaki-defending pantsuit and engage you. [Caveat: I understand and appreciate great literature, but I read mostly (what I refer to as) TrashFiction. We may be arguing from perspectives so different as to render quickly the entire discussion pointless. Example: if the conversation becomes something like "Hey, it's a really awesome story with great, realistic characters without the lazy, contrived, childish deus-ex-machina that ruins so much fantasy" and then "Well, I want more than just a story from a book, and I think the prose is clumsy," then I'll just say, "Okay. I like the books and think the characters are pretty awesome and surprisingly adult for books with dragons in them, but I respect your analysis. Also you are a homosexual, probably."]My biggest fear is that all that pointing-and-laughing when Robert Jordan died is going to kick my ass, Karmically speaking. God, I laughed so hard. I read the first few books of that Wheel of Time series -- man, I must have slogged through like 4 or 5 of them -- and finally just stopped torturing myself. "HEY I HAVE AN IDEA STOP MAKING ALL OF YOUR CHARACTERS SO FUCKING STUPID SO YOU CAN KEEP PUBLISHING BOOKS GOD DAMMIT ROBERT JORDAN YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE."
I wish jadaki still posted here, I have a bone to pick with him about this series of books.
yeah wtf lol. What is the bone to pick? Did you not like the series? Why not? WHY THE HELL NOT?
PMJackson21I don't know if he was the one who suggested it, but that's who you think might have. I don't even know what Game of Thrones is.
1) Correct2) Amazingly fastAnd "Game of Thrones" is the first book in George RR Martin's fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. HBO is turning it into a TV series; early indicators suggest epic sweetness.
I have started this damn book 5 times and haven't got through the first 3 chapters. I really needed to finish my stupid Dan Brown book and get back to these.
I'm not sure what Dan Brown book you are reading, but here is all you need to know.Robert Langdon somehow gets pulled into some bullshit. He tries to ignore all the weird shit he hears. Halfway through he gets interested and tries to solve all the stuff. Cops/CIA and all those people assume he is the bad guy because he is so smart and knows too much. Weird religious dude wants to kill him. Weird religious dude doesn't kill him. Robert Langdon finds out "the truth" to get cops/CIA off his ass. --The EndTo summarize... throw your Dan Brown book in a fire and read Game of Thrones immediately.

I like Dan Browns books. I bought in the airport last month and got 1/3 of the way through on the flight home. I'm a little over 2/3 through now. The problem is I don't have a lot of free time to read. The free time I do have I am usually in bed with my wife and we will watch on hour of tv, then crash.

Somebody here -- I want to say one of the actual good poker players who is a Dodgers fan, whatever that guy's name is -- suggested the series in a random thread somewhere a few years back. It took me about three days to read the first 200 pages of Game of Thrones, and on the fourth day I blew through the next 400 pages, bought the second book in the series, and read more than half of it. Within a week, I'd finished all four books in the series. I'm not sure what bone you're picking, but I'd love to take off my Angry Internet Dick skirt and put on my (highly ironic) ass-masking Jadaki-defending pantsuit and engage you. [Caveat: I understand and appreciate great literature, but I read mostly (what I refer to as) TrashFiction. We may be arguing from perspectives so different as to render quickly the entire discussion pointless. Example: if the conversation becomes something like "Hey, it's a really awesome story with great, realistic characters without the lazy, contrived, childish deus-ex-machina that ruins so much fantasy" and then "Well, I want more than just a story from a book, and I think the prose is clumsy," then I'll just say, "Okay. I like the books and think the characters are pretty awesome and surprisingly adult for books with dragons in them, but I respect your analysis. Also you are a homosexual, probably."]My biggest fear is that all that pointing-and-laughing when Robert Jordan died is going to kick my ass, Karmically speaking. God, I laughed so hard. I read the first few books of that Wheel of Time series -- man, I must have slogged through like 4 or 5 of them -- and finally just stopped torturing myself. "HEY I HAVE AN IDEA STOP MAKING ALL OF YOUR CHARACTERS SO FUCKING STUPID SO YOU CAN KEEP PUBLISHING BOOKS GOD DAMMIT ROBERT JORDAN YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE."
Alright, so here's the bone...In preparation for this series, which I've been excited about the prospect of a "gritty" fantasy series, I decided to give this series a shot last month. I haven't read a fantasy series in about ten years or so, when ever I gave up on the wheel of time for being the most indulgent go no where piece of crap I've ever read. ANd I have to say, I really enjoyed the series. I mostly read literary fiction, but I occasionally read trash, and I read a lot more " trashy" sci fi-fantasy when I was younger. I've been getting my fix for that sort of thing from comics the past 10 years or so. Anyway, I really enjoyed the first three books.. right up until the ending of book three. I suppose I should slap some spoilers on now..

I didn't like how everything the series just got obliterated. One or two things is fine, but ti kill that many major characters... it just made me extremely fearful that the series was just extendiing itself for the mere sake of extending itself.. my major issue with teh wheel of time.. I felt that series got overly complex, not for any story telling purposes, but just for complexities sake along... the result being the series stopped advancing the story in any meaning ful way, and just got bigger and bigger and bigger with no end in site. My fears on this front were continued in book four, when Martin introduced all these new characters, new subplots and plot lines, and basically all of the characters and plot lines that I'd spent 3 books caring about he put off till the next book.. it's ****ing infuriating, and it makes me think that this series, like the wheel of time, has no end at all planned. I read some stuff from 2000 that the series was originally planned to be 4 books, but now is going to be 7 minium, and I think that's just awful and indulgent. I can see the direction the series is headed toward, that the dragon queen is going to unite the 7 kingdoms and have a dramatic fight against the evil of the north or what ever, but now I just think he's extending the plot.... for reasons I can't fathom. I don't give a shit about the krackens, the dornes, Cersi's political drama, littlefinger, the fat boy's becoming a maester, he dropped like 8 new stories in the middle of the series, and now he's going to have so much more ****ing shit to deal with and tie together before it's all said and done. Thes fantasy writers need editors who will ****ing stand up to them and not just let them masterbate ad infinitum. AT this point, I just don't care any more. I blew through the first 3 books, but now I'm stuck on about page 250 of book for, and I have serious doubt I'm going to finish it. I just don't give a shit about any of these new storylines. All of the story lines I did care about he killed off the characters, or put their stories off till next book ( a book that was supposed to be out like 4 years ago). I just see another wheel of time 2.0 in this series future, and I think I'm going to eject now before I spend any more time and emotionally/intellectual investment. It's a shame too, because I thought the first 3 books were much more well written than anything I've read of Jordans.

meh I hope people don't see BigD's post and decide not to read these books. BigD I'm not saying you are completely wrong, and I agree with your concerns on the 4th book, it does seem like Martin is biting off more than he can chew with the new storylines. I think everything will connect at the end though, or I hope. I also think there is going to be a lot more to the ending than the dragons vs the north. I actually think

The dragons and the North are going to band together at some point, or at least part of the north

The author has capped the number of books on the series, and even though it has taken him a long time to finish the next one it does seem as though he has a plan as to where it will end.I think of the series the same way as I think of The Wire. In The Wire the first four seasons were awesome, the fifth wasn't as good but it was still awesome. For me, in the Song of Ice and Fire the first three books were awesome, the fourth wasn't as good but it was still awesome.

The author has capped the number of books on the series, and even though it has taken him a long time to finish the next one it does seem as though he has a plan as to where it will end.I think of the series the same way as I think of The Wire. In The Wire the first four seasons were awesome, the fifth wasn't as good but it was still awesome. For me, in the Song of Ice and Fire the first three books were awesome, the fourth wasn't as good but it was still awesome.
So what if he's "Capped" it, he already capped it at 4 books, and jordan capped his own series over and over again into the grave. Caps don't mean anything, they can always be lifted by self indulgent authors. Also comparing this book series to the wire makes my ass twitch.
Alright, so here's the bone...In preparation for this series, which I've been excited about the prospect of a "gritty" fantasy series, I decided to give this series a shot last month. I haven't read a fantasy series in about ten years or so, when ever I gave up on the wheel of time for being the most indulgent go no where piece of crap I've ever read. ANd I have to say, I really enjoyed the series. I mostly read literary fiction, but I occasionally read trash, and I read a lot more " trashy" sci fi-fantasy when I was younger. I've been getting my fix for that sort of thing from comics the past 10 years or so. Anyway, I really enjoyed the first three books.. right up until the ending of book three. I suppose I should slap some spoilers on now..

I didn't like how everything the series just got obliterated. One or two things is fine, but ti kill that many major characters... it just made me extremely fearful that the series was just extendiing itself for the mere sake of extending itself.. my major issue with teh wheel of time.. I felt that series got overly complex, not for any story telling purposes, but just for complexities sake along... the result being the series stopped advancing the story in any meaning ful way, and just got bigger and bigger and bigger with no end in site. My fears on this front were continued in book four, when Martin introduced all these new characters, new subplots and plot lines, and basically all of the characters and plot lines that I'd spent 3 books caring about he put off till the next book.. it's ****ing infuriating, and it makes me think that this series, like the wheel of time, has no end at all planned. I read some stuff from 2000 that the series was originally planned to be 4 books, but now is going to be 7 minium, and I think that's just awful and indulgent. I can see the direction the series is headed toward, that the dragon queen is going to unite the 7 kingdoms and have a dramatic fight against the evil of the north or what ever, but now I just think he's extending the plot.... for reasons I can't fathom. I don't give a shit about the krackens, the dornes, Cersi's political drama, littlefinger, the fat boy's becoming a maester, he dropped like 8 new stories in the middle of the series, and now he's going to have so much more ****ing shit to deal with and tie together before it's all said and done. Thes fantasy writers need editors who will ****ing stand up to them and not just let them masterbate ad infinitum. AT this point, I just don't care any more. I blew through the first 3 books, but now I'm stuck on about page 250 of book for, and I have serious doubt I'm going to finish it. I just don't give a shit about any of these new storylines. All of the story lines I did care about he killed off the characters, or put their stories off till next book ( a book that was supposed to be out like 4 years ago). I just see another wheel of time 2.0 in this series future, and I think I'm going to eject now before I spend any more time and emotionally/intellectual investment. It's a shame too, because I thought the first 3 books were much more well written than anything I've read of Jordans.

I haven't read any of the Wheel of Time books, so I can't comment on any similarites between the structuring of the two. I do know that the series was planned for 6 books (not sure about the original 4). When he was writing the 4th book, he had a general outline of where he wanted ot start, and where he wanted to finish, plot wise. It started getting way too long, so he decided to split the 4th book into two different books. Given the structure of the books, the easiest way for him to do this was just to eliminate a few characters' story lines and push them off to the next book. This is going to result in two long books in which there isn't a ton of overall plot development. Personally, I don't really mind, because I enjoy his characters so damn much, and I just really enjoy reading about this world. I did enjoy the fourth book, but I was actually in a similar predicament to you, where I read about 200 pages, and got kind of broed, and actually put the book down for 6 months or so. When I picked it back up, I actually really enjoyed the last 2/3rds of the book, and flew through it in just a few days. I do highly recommend that you finish the 4th book, it is worth it. I do have serious doubts about this series ever being finished, which is a god damn travesty, but that's another story entirely. The only reason this is all in spoilers is because I don't want anybody that hasn't read the books to read this be be deterred from reading these fantastic books.

Well in that case...I can't argue against you or ease your fears in any way. I really loved all four books the first time through, and didn't realize how much was missing from Crows until it ended. I'm rereading the series now, and absolutely love books 2 and 3, but I don't think I will be very enamored with Crows, for most of the reasons you mentioned. I don't think he'll ever finish the series, and the only reason book 5 might come out is so that they can do a 4th season of the TV show. He's said on his blog he's kind of stuck with where Daeny is, and how he's going to get her to where she needs to be in time, and he's only created more problems and unnecessary characters, as you described, so I'm doubtful anything will come out past Dragons. Also, he's a fat miserly fuck that will die of an obesity-related heart problem in <5 years.

Well in that case...I can't argue against you or ease your fears in any way. I really loved all four books the first time through, and didn't realize how much was missing from Crows until it ended. I'm rereading the series now, and absolutely love books 2 and 3, but I don't think I will be very enamored with Crows, for most of the reasons you mentioned. I don't think he'll ever finish the series, and the only reason book 5 might come out is so that they can do a 4th season of the TV show. He's said on his blog he's kind of stuck with where Daeny is, and how he's going to get her to where she needs to be in time, and he's only created more problems and unnecessary characters, as you described, so I'm doubtful anything will come out past Dragons. Also, he's a fat miserly fuck that will die of an obesity-related heart problem in <5 years.
These are exactly my concerns. Everything, including his fat fuckness is pointing to Wheel of Time 2.0, and because the book series will presumably become gigantic with the exposure on HBO, I am sure his estate will hire some hack ghost writer to finish the series.... or write it in perpetuity as I assume WoT is going to be writen, since they have no incentive to ever end it.

I really hate the wheel of time, if you haven't guessed. Dan brown is terrible and it tilts me that the DiVinci code is so popular, The left behind books are laughably poorly written, but neither of those books make me angry. WoT does, because I wasted so much ****ing time on that series, and it just got worse and worse and worse and more unreadable, but I am philosophically (or was a the time, at least) inclined to finish a book or series once I started it, and kept chasing good time after bad hoping the series would improve, or at least end, but it just got more and more needlessly complex and indulgent. I hate that fat fuck for waisting so much of my life, and torturing me with his wooden prose and wretched dialog. I hope there's a hell just so he can get sodomized by a pit fiend. It boggles my mind that wheel of time is so popular. I guess fantasy nerds, while smart, have low literary expectations.

Some Harry Potter pervert mentioned I should stop by here...Guess I'll spoiler this to not ruin anything for anyone who hasn't read the books or is waiting on the show.In regard to the end of Storm of Swords,

I just don't have the problem with it you do. You have to know based on the first book that Martin has no problem offing main characters. I'm not sure why you think that will drag out the series. There are a few things that play into why books 4 & 5 have taken so long (based off his blog and reports I've read from his appearances). Originally there was supposed to be a 5 year gap between the end of Storm of Swords and the 4th book, but after writing a good portion of it that way he decided it left too many questions about the events he would have to tell via flashback, so why not just write that part of the story. Then came the issue with size of the 4th book and the decision by his publishers to split it. The thing I didn't like is aside from one or two characters, most my favorites were moved to the 5th book. I haven't read Feast for a while, but some of the new viewpoints I enjoyed and I get why they were introduced. Some characters POV's are going to make for a more interesting version of events than an existing character would have. The big hang up with book 5 has been him having to explain a few events in detail that he had an outline for but had not fleshed out. There are two that he has posted about that have caused a ton of problems, though I read a report that his publisher was recently saying he was very close to having book 5 done and they are expecting to have it out by April in the US. He is still saying only two more books to complete the series after Dance with Dragons. Every fan of the series is worries about him pulling a Robert Jordan, but that's the risk apparently. Hopefully seeing his series get made into a HBO series will enspire him to stop watching Jets games and get it done.

P.S. WOT sucks.