In my first fairly large tournament. $50+4, top 10 paid. 120 players.I am in the BB with A :) Q :D with approx $9300 in chips BB $800Everyone folds to the button who raises 3x BBSB foldsI callFolp comes out 9 :D 4 :D 7 :club: I bet out $1000he thinks for some time and goes all inDuring the last hour he was going all-in about once every 3 hands whenever he waas bet into. I figured he was trying to steal the pot. Rags flopped and for whatever reason I put him on something that wouldn't be helped by the crap on the board. If anything I guess 9 9. So I called.He held 6 :) 6 :) I went out in 18th position.It's bugging the hell out of me right now. Did I do something totally stupid or was I right in calling? Thanks for any advice, help, slapping, whatever. :-)

Well first of all, don't be hard on yourself no matter what happens, everyone makes bad plays and the worst thing you can do is get yourself worked up over it. Review the hand and see where you can improve, yes, but don't call yourself a dunce ;)I think at this point the call of his all-in wasn't a profitable move. Why do that here? Regardless of whether he's trying to steal the pot, you have a respectable stack. In addition, he showed some strength pre-flop with the raise. I would have put him on a mid-pair, or suited connectors, based on the raise size and his position. Thus I would not see a point in calling his all-in move here, or even a re-raise. I would wait for another hand and bust him :D

t's bugging the hell out of me right now. Did I do something totally stupid or was I right in calling?Calling an all in when you can't beat 22 is generally not a great idea.You need to have two things when calling a bluff. 1. You need to be pretty sure it's a bluf and 2. You need a hand that can actually beat a bluff.

Yeah, I thought it was a bluff since he was making a habit of doing this, but even after posting this I came to the realization I should have not done what I had done for a few reasons:1. HE may have been bluffing those other times but it's still a 50/50 shot he isn't at that point2. I didn't have a hand. I did if he had rags, but there was no reason to believe he had nothing. 3. My stack was fine, about 8th at the time, no reason to waste it on something so...unsure.What pisses me off now is that I did what I did. All game long, actually all week long I have been playing the best poker I have ever played. Going into that game I was 7 for 7 in SnG's and placed 5th out of 222 in a multi. And to lose my concentration like that erks me. Guess it's time to take a few days off and read Theory of Poker and whatever else I can find.Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...