poker and your significant other

I am a person who loves to play poker. Anytime, anywhere. It just happens to be a large part of who I am now, but the girl that I love detestes the game entirely. It is a huge thorn in the side of our relationship. I would like to say that its not because of the gambling aspect, but it is, but its about every aspect that poker stands for. I dedicate a lot of time studying the game, reading books, calculating odds, going over my stats, player evalutions etc.. I think that in general, she cannot deal with the fact that I would love to dedicate myself to the thing that is percieved as a form of gambling. Which im not denying that it is, but its a passion and I feel like im being persecuted for something that I love. I just wanted to know whether I am alone in this situation or do most of us go through something like this to persue poker.

Haha my girlfriend detests it...it's terrible I feel for you...However I decided to try and get her to like it by promising to split 50/50 any of the money I win while she sits next to me and watches....She's starting to get used to me playing now and is happy with the extra money she gets from watching...Try that see if it works for you too...

Unfortunately, I too have had problems with my g/f and online poker. The other day I played poker instead of spending time with her when we didnt even agree to hang out, she called and was angry that i was playing and not calling her up. I agreed to meet up with her after i was done with a tourny i was in (got 13 out of 427) and when we met we had a bit of a confrontation.She said she thought i was addicted but i dont think i am because i have never used any of my own earned money on online poker, i got the 50 free from poker fantasy and have successfully played with that for the last 4 months. All of her brothers are addicted to online gaming like World of Warcraft and she hates it. So she got mad and wants me to quit playing. I agreed cuz i havent been into online poker that long. So now i lurk messageboards and wait for the DC v DN match. O Well....

there are other threads from the past about this if you feel like going though old general posts. if you enjoy playing poker and don't let it control what you do with your time every day, then the fact that your girlfriend can't relax about the issue says something about her. who is she to tell you what you can or can't do in your free time. seriously, you shouldn't have to choose between the two.

Unfortunately, I too have had problems with my g/f and online poker. The other day I played poker instead of spending time with her when we didnt even agree to hang out, she called and was angry that i was playing and not calling her up. I agreed to meet up with her after i was done with a tourny i was in (got 13 out of 427) and when we met we had a bit of a confrontation.She said she thought i was addicted but i dont think i am because i have never used any of my own earned money on online poker, i got the 50 free from poker fantasy and have successfully played with that for the last 4 months. All of her brothers are addicted to online gaming like World of Warcraft and she hates it. So she got mad and wants me to quit playing. I agreed cuz i havent been into online poker that long. So now i lurk messageboards and wait for the DC v DN match. O Well....
wow what a wuss

my girlfriend used to despise me playing poker but basically I had to call her bluff. then on the next hand she tried to bet out again and I moved all in she folded. now I play whenever I want.also I have noticed that girlfriends never seem to mind you playing if you are winning. so my advice, tell them you won money even if you didn't and then guilt them for trying to stop you from paying your bills, eating, hookers, coke whatever you use your money for.

My husband and I both play. He spends more time with it, like the OP. He is a winning player, and I don't touch any of the money. Sometimes I get frustrated with the amount of time he spends online playing because I feel like he is not available converse with me or spend some time with me after being at work and mostly unavailable all day. We are working on this and he is definitely making improvements in his availability, but never have I demanded that he have a schedule, or given him an ultimatum. He spends about 6-8 hours per day at least five days per week with online poker in addition to his regular full time work and he spends one long night a week at the cardroom. I have mostly become accustomed to it. It helps that I play too. I just get tired of talking poker strat, and watching poker television, and hearing passages from poker books every day. I must admit all of this has improved my play, though. Good luck. If the women hate it too much, you may have to choose. If you really love it, you may have to choose the game. Lying and hiding it and making excuses about it will end the relationship anyway.You could try cumming in her ear.

Haha my girlfriend detests it...it's terrible I feel for you...However I decided to try and get her to like it by promising to split 50/50 any of the money I win while she sits next to me and watches....She's starting to get used to me playing now and is happy with the extra money she gets from watching...Try that see if it works for you too...
WEEEAAKKAnyone whos significant other lets you play poker solely because you are giving them part of your winnings makes for a bad relationship based on the wrong things.

Stupid me I taught my wife the game when I got hooked 2 years ago. Now I have to share computer time and rarely get to go to the B&M's without her. The other day she said that she wishes I spent 1/4 the time paying attention to her that I pay attention to poker. I told her that wasn't god odds and she didn't seem to like the joke. Then she's playing a $ 5 sit and go like 15 minutes later. She doen't seem to mind how much I play when I cash out a couple hundred once in a while. Maybe I do play a bit too much.

The other day she said that she wishes I spent 1/4 the time paying attention to her that I pay attention to poker. I told her that wasn't good odds and she didn't seem to like the joke.
nice oneto the OPDont trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die
Unfortunately, I too have had problems with my g/f and online poker. ..So she got mad and wants me to quit playing. I agreed cuz i havent been into online poker that long.
Dude, your relationship is doomed! This is item #1 she will take away from you, and you've just set a really bad precedent. I highly recommend you go back to playing on-line poker because you will resent her down the line for taking away all the things you really like to do (that don't involve her, of course). If you tell her you're going back to it the chances are that she'll resent you and that'll be that. But trust me, having nobody is a whole lot better than having someone who won't let you do the things you want to do.Trust me on this. I'm in the middle of a divorce because of this exact situation.
Your girlfriend PWNED you.
My husband and I both play. He spends more time with it, like the OP. He is a winning player, and I don't touch any of the money. Sometimes I get frustrated with the amount of time he spends online playing because I feel like he is not available converse with me or spend some time with me after being at work and mostly unavailable all day. We are working on this and he is definitely making improvements in his availability, but never have I demanded that he have a schedule, or given him an ultimatum. He spends about 6-8 hours per day at least five days per week with online poker in addition to his regular full time work and he spends one long night a week at the cardroom. I have mostly become accustomed to it. It helps that I play too. I just get tired of talking poker strat, and watching poker television, and hearing passages from poker books every day. I must admit all of this has improved my play, though. Good luck. If the women hate it too much, you may have to choose. If you really love it, you may have to choose the game. Lying and hiding it and making excuses about it will end the relationship anyway.You could try cumming in her ear.
From you this is so HOT!

My (soon-to-be) X-wife actually accused me of being addicted to poker after having played in 3 live games (2 tourneys and 1 neighborhood cash game) in 10 months. No on-line poker at all, mind you! She said I watched nothing but poker on TV which was partially true as it was all I cared to watch. And from this, she lebelled me "addicted".Anyway, we are currently separated and awaiting our divorce to become final. The week after I moved out I hooked up with a guy who hosts a weekly tournament and cash games. I'm loving life! I have my freedom back and I can do whatever the hell I want to do with my time, my money, etc.I'm not one to tell every man not to get married, because I've met couples who have a true respect for each other's individual rights, but most I've seen are/were just like mine. so, I will tell 95% of you guys out there, DON'T GET MARRIED!!! The regular sex (which doesn't stay regular very long) isn't worth the loss of freedom that WILL come with the marriage.Sorry to be such a downer, but I have to be honest here. I'm just trying to help. :club: