My wife is from China and Hong Kong and I've visited there 4 times over the last couple years. Combine that with how important China and the Chinese economy is it means that I read a lot of news about China so I thought I would share some of the interesting things that I come across in this thread.

Feel free to post your own links and stories or comment on the ones that I post.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hell no, where would I get a giant hornet from plus I'm not nuts.

It's just the entire concept of 'flat screen TV' as being relevant to anything anymore.   People still say "flat screen TV" with implied context as though this were 2001 and they cost $5K.

I don't think acceptance of equality has anything to do with it. Rome had no such illusions, they believed in the superiority of races and even in the superiority of family blood lines. Rome was force

The amount of pollution is China can be shocking. They burn about half of the entire World's coal for example. Right now the air in many places in China including some of the largest cities is so bad that they are closing airports and not letting children go to school.

China's Toxic Sky

These pictures are from the middle of the day. The toxic smog only makes it look like it's at night. The first picture is from Beijing.

s_c05_59478658.jpg

s_c11_RTR2VKQX.jpg

s_c10_RTR3D3V5.jpg

China Hacked the New York Times for Four Months Straight

You might say that The New York Times was asking for trouble when it got into the business of reporting the truth about potentially corrupt Chinese leaders. And trouble is exactly what they got. Over the course of the past four months, the Grey Lady has been at the receiving end of a vicious attack by Chinese hackers who managed to steal the passwords of every single Times employee and access the personal computers of 53 Timesmen and women. The assault began on September 13 of last year, around the same time that reporter David Barboza was finishing up a hard-hitting report on Wen Jaibao, China's prime minister. And no, the timing was not a coincidence.

China has developed a nasty habit of hacking into media outlets' computer systems in an attempt to derail stories about its leaders. Before The Times, a group of Chinese hackers infiltrated Bloomberg News around the same time that it was working on a story about Xi Jinping, then vice president of China, and his rich relatives. Now, The Times reports that the assault on journalists has been going on since 2008 based on an investigation by Mandiant, the cyber security firm that the paper hired to help them figure out its own hacking problems last year. The Times asked AT&T to watch its back on October 24 after Chinese officials warned that reporting on Wen and his relatives would "have consequences." A day later, AT&T notified The Times that they'd spotted suspicious activity on the network. The paper let the hacking continue, as it worked on an investigation with Mandiant. After all, what a great story this whole affair could make!

ARTICLE CONTINUED AT LINK ABOVE

Looks like the barbarians are going to have to come and fix their water problems. I wonder which company will get the project and how much their stock is.

The amount of pollution is China can be shocking. They burn about half of the entire World's coal for example. Right now the air in many places in China including some of the largest cities is so bad that they are closing airports and not letting children go to school.

China's Toxic Sky

These pictures are from the middle of the day. The toxic smog only makes it look like it's at night. The first picture is from Beijing.

s_c05_59478658.jpg

s_c11_RTR2VKQX.jpg

s_c10_RTR3D3V5.jpg

A few more priuses is wats needed here. Or better still, an algore video.

Considering our treaty with Japan, this would be an opportunity to forgive all their debt with us:

Declare war, freeze their assets in America, sink their entire navy, declare victory, go back to staus quo.

Should take at least a few weeks. Mainly to move the fleets.

Great chance to save bunch of money, slow their military growth, and get the world bitching about how awesome we are again.

Lazlo Montgomery has an excellent Podcast on China history, from Ancient china, to modern PRC political figures and all points in between.

Just read Kissinger's book On China.

Does the same thing but with a foreign accent.

Considering our treaty with Japan, this would be an opportunity to forgive all their debt with us:

Declare war, freeze their assets in America, sink their entire navy, declare victory, go back to staus quo.

China gives us huge amounts of cheap consumer goods, we give them imaginary money that may/may not ever be paid back. Pretty sure we are getting the better end of the deal.

A couple other fun facts- China uses half of the world's cement. They also use half of the world's coal, which is why their pollution is so massively high.

So who's ready for a real shooting war between China and Japan over some disputed Islands combined with a lot of Nationalism. It isn't as far fetched as you would hope in the 21st Century.

China Targets Japan Naval Ship as Tensions Rise Over Islands

Now the Russians are doing it.

What did Japan do to piss everyone off?

I mean besides sushi?

China Passes U.S. to Become World’s Biggest Trading Nation

China surpassed the U.S. to become the world’s biggest trading nation last year as measured by the sum of exports and imports, a milestone in the Asian nation’s challenge to the U.S. dominance in global commerce that emerged after the end of World War II in 1945.

U.S. exports and imports last year totaled $3.82 trillion, the U.S. Commerce Department said last week. China’s customs administration reported last month that the country’s total trade in 2012 amounted to $3.87 trillion. China had a $231.1 billion annual trade surplus while the U.S. had a trade deficit of $727.9 billion.

Happy New Year Everybody

The old year was the Year of the Dragon and the new year is the Year of the Snake

As part of our preparation for the new year we cleaned our entire house yesterday to clean all of the bad luck collected for the year out and to make room for the good luck of the new year.

Time for me to put some lucky red Canadian $50 bills in lucky Red envelopes for my Step Daughters

kung-hei-fat-choi_1326886551.jpg

China Passes U.S. to Become World’s Biggest Trading Nation

China surpassed the U.S. to become the world’s biggest trading nation last year as measured by the sum of exports and imports, a milestone in the Asian nation’s challenge to the U.S. dominance in global commerce that emerged after the end of World War II in 1945.

U.S. exports and imports last year totaled $3.82 trillion, the U.S. Commerce Department said last week. China’s customs administration reported last month that the country’s total trade in 2012 amounted to $3.87 trillion. China had a $231.1 billion annual trade surplus while the U.S. had a trade deficit of $727.9 billion.

I sense a measure of satisfaction in your reporting of this.

I sense a measure of satisfaction in your reporting of this.

The wound when he read that California has a larger economy than all of Canada, and wasn't even trying, is still fresh.

The wound when he read that California has a larger economy than all of Canada, and wasn't even trying, is still fresh.

What I find fresh is that in the same thread that showcases horrible smog, and prolly slave wages and working conditions, is a celebratory post about chinas bustling economy.

What I find fresh is that in the same thread that showcases horrible smog, and prolly slave wages and working conditions, is a celebratory post about chinas bustling economy.

yup, real celebratory

Go China Go