Jump to content


Recreation Hockey League


  • Please log in to reply
1771 replies to this topic

#1 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

I was going to do a Ninja Turtles thread (the team Zach and I play on), but I'm pretty sure a lot of other people here play rec hockey too. Last summer, I played on two teams with Zach (The Ice Weasels) & (The Ninja Turtles). I decided though this year, that I just don't have the time to play on two hockey teams as I am on three ultimate frisbee teams, plus rock climbing. So I had to choose between one or the other. This past winter season, the Ice Weasels were very good, and the Turtles were very bad. I had to choose between the two and ultimately I chose the Turtles, just because even though we sucked, the team chemistry in the locker room was a lot better. Now about 8 games into the season, the Ninja Turtles are in 1st place in our division, highest scoring team in the league, and lowest PIM team in the league as well. For some reason, I'm also scoring a lot more in this league. I'm 2nd on our team in scoring, and third overall in the league right now in scoring. http://www.pointstre...p;seasonid=5480http://www.pointstre...p;seasonid=5480The team's one of the best teams I've ever played rec hockey for. Last year, even though we lost almost every regular season game, we made it to the semi finals in the playoffs last year and lost in a heartbreaker. Earlier this year, our worst player (a guy who just learned how to skate, maybe a year ago) scored his first ever goal. We ended up getting the puck, taping it, and getting the timekeeper to write the date and shit on the puck. Then tonight, one of our d-men is out for tonight's game. Zach has been playing defence on this team because nobody wants to play. Just for shits and giggles, I'll be playing D tonight probably and paired with Zach. I expect us to give up a lot of goals because I am horrible defensively and hate back-checking like the plague. Then after the game, we're all going to some Irish pub for drinks and dinner afterward. It will be pretty romantic in a homo way. So yeah, I just wanted to say rec hockey is fun because of obviously hockey, but it's the little things like the dressing room jokes, players yelling insults from the bench, and the newbie getting his first ever hockey goal in his career that make me excited to go to rec hockey every Sunday-Thursday.
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch

#2 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

    Poker Forum God

  • Members
  • 17,907 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

I agree, its the little things. I play different rec sports, but the same applies to all of them. If you dont enjoy hanging out with the guys your playing with, at some point it wont be fun at all to play and you'll quit. My current rec team has some great characters, each post game is a crackup. I've only been in a rec league for 1.5yrs. My first time in organized ice hockey. Its awesome, but I am an atrocious skater. But they put me on a line with our best player (he's way above our league level), and thanks to that, I currently sit 4th in team scoring, 8th overall in the league!! :club: I even had my first 4pt game this week, but my 2nd goal and 2nd A didnt count because the league stops counting after a team leads by 5. We won 11-4.My point "success" is kinda of a joke when you consider my skating. I think Im gonna take powerskating, just not sure where and whats best. I want to get better, even at this age. Its frustrating not being able to do the things I can at ball hockey.

#3 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on Sunday, July 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM, said:

I agree, its the little things. I play different rec sports, but the same applies to all of them. If you dont enjoy hanging out with the guys your playing with, at some point it wont be fun at all to play and you'll quit. My current rec team has some great characters, each post game is a crackup. I've only been in a rec league for 1.5yrs. My first time in organized ice hockey. Its awesome, but I am an atrocious skater. But they put me on a line with our best player (he's way above our league level), and thanks to that, I currently sit 4th in team scoring, 8th overall in the league!! :club: I even had my first 4pt game this week, but my 2nd goal and 2nd A didnt count because the league stops counting after a team leads by 5. We won 11-4.My point "success" is kinda of a joke when you consider my skating. I think Im gonna take powerskating, just not sure where and whats best. I want to get better, even at this age. Its frustrating not being able to do the things I can at ball hockey.
Nice! How many lines do you guys have? I took powerskating when I was a kid. We had a woman instructor. She was so tough. I hated it. I would throw up after every session.
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch

#4 Zach6668

Zach6668

    FCHL Champion.

  • Moderators
  • 48,133 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

I remember hating power skating as a kid too.Probably explains why I didn't make the NHL.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#5 troyomac

troyomac

    .

  • Members
  • 11,235 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

View PostOttawa_Biatch, on Sunday, July 4th, 2010, 7:22 AM, said:

We ended up getting the puck, taping it, and getting the timekeeper to write the date and shit on the puck.
Gross.

#6 fryer98

fryer98

    You missed....the EARTH!

  • Members
  • 21,711 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near the CITY OF CHAMPIONS!
  • Interests:playing/coaching ice hockey, BARS, this, that, WHAT?
  • Favorite Poker Game:Beeeeeeeeeerains!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

View PostOttawa_Biatch, on Sunday, July 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM, said:

So yeah, I just wanted to say rec hockey is fun because of obviously hockey, but it's the little things like the dressing room jokes, players yelling insults from the bench, and the newbie getting his first ever hockey goal in his career that make me excited to go to rec hockey every Sunday-Thursday.
Amen!

View Posttroyomac, on Sunday, July 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM, said:

Gross.
Awesome.I play on 3 teams during hockey season and only 1 in the summer. It's a lot more fun when you have a good group of guys and BS and f off.

#7 dEv~

dEv~

    In Shero We Trust...oops

  • Members
  • 8,766 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hockeytawn, PA

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

As of right now Charlottesville doesn't have rink as the current owners closed it up on June 30th. Negotiations are progress for new owners to come in and take over. Although I've never skated and played hockey at the same time I'm hoping to get in whatever the lowest league is. Rumor is that it's supposed to reopen this fall so I'll see what my schedule's like (full time job/starting grad school in august/2 softball teams/1 kickball team/still want time to do nothing/watching hockey) and possibly buy some gear and try it out.Where do you guys buy your stuff?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 SBriand

SBriand

    Viva La Beaver!

  • Members
  • 15,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birmingham, MI

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

I was about to get back into playing but then we had our sewer backup and the main room where it backed up was where my hockey bag was. Needless to say, nothing survived. I don't know if I can justify the league cost plus new skates, pads, pants, gloves, helmet, etc.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#9 goldie79

goldie79

    The other Scott

  • Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

I've played with the same group of guys for almost 7 seasons. Our team is in a division for players that haven't played before (or for a long tome), I played when I was younger (6-12 years old). Our team sucked at first, I was one of maybe 3 or 4 players that had any hockey sense and could skate. The first few seasons we sucked pretty bad but still managed to make it to the finals.Our team had a goalie who had to have been at least 60 years old and we got rid of him in the third season.Over the years everyone has improved and all the teams are competitive, we had 9 teams in our division last year. Last season was horrible for us, we lost 3 of our decent players and brought on brand new players. We lost close to 30 games, losing streak of 15 at one point. But if it wasn't for the group of guys on the team, I think I would have found a new team years ago. These guys are great to play with. Most of us have formed a team for the summer league this year, can't get enough hockey.We play 45 games in the winter plus playoffs and 12 games in the summer.

#10 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

so i did boot camp at work during lunch. then had 3 hours of ultimate frisbee. then had 1 hour of hockey tonight. what does this equal?biatch barfing. i havent barfed since that time i barfed with zach when we first played hockey
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch

#11 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

Game time in an hour and a half, in Kanata for those in Ottawa who want to see something special. The Ninja Turtles can clinch 1st place tonight with a victory against Scared Hitless. Some notes about the game:Biatch is now defense, Zach is at forward. Biatch is paired with Waldo. Biatch is super stoked he gets to wear his new yellow sock and baby blue sock. Zach is hoping the same timekeeper isn't there from last week. Shit got awkward last week, lol. They're in a fight.
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch

#12 Zach6668

Zach6668

    FCHL Champion.

  • Moderators
  • 48,133 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

That timekeeper is such a tool, LOL.Like FU, we're not wearing the stinky reserve jerseys because you're too scared to go ask the visitors to do it.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#13 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Finally, the time has come, the playoffs begin for the Ninja Turtles. Last year, we made it out of the round robin, won the division semi-final, but lost in a heartbreaker in the divisional final. This yr, we hope to win that divisional final, then win the conference cross-over final as well for the Keg (the championship). Last year, our team player a lot better then expectations, so making the divisional final was great, but not expected. This year, we are the #1 ranked team out of the 6 in our division. We lead in goals for, goals against, and have the least PIM's. The way the playoffs work is that you play 3 round robin games, since we are the #1 ranked team, we get the best schedule (against seeds 4, 5, and 6). The top 4 teams after the round robin, then play in a semi final, final two play in a final, then the winner of our division plays the opposite conference's champion for the eluded Keg and champion of the Moosehead (our tier). First game is Tuesday against the Puck Pigs at Kanata, at the Sensplex.
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch

#14 gruven

gruven

    The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

  • Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

View PostOttawa_Biatch, on Sunday, August 1st, 2010, 5:09 PM, said:

Finally, the time has come, the playoffs begin for the Ninja Turtles. Last year, we made it out of the round robin, won the division semi-final, but lost in a heartbreaker in the divisional final. This yr, we hope to win that divisional final, then win the conference cross-over final as well for the Keg (the championship). Last year, our team player a lot better then expectations, so making the divisional final was great, but not expected. This year, we are the #1 ranked team out of the 6 in our division. We lead in goals for, goals against, and have the least PIM's. The way the playoffs work is that you play 3 round robin games, since we are the #1 ranked team, we get the best schedule (against seeds 4, 5, and 6). The top 4 teams after the round robin, then play in a semi final, final two play in a final, then the winner of our division plays the opposite conference's champion for the eluded Keg and champion of the Moosehead (our tier). First game is Tuesday against the Puck Pigs at Kanata, at the Sensplex.
Good luck!
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#15 fryer98

fryer98

    You missed....the EARTH!

  • Members
  • 21,711 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near the CITY OF CHAMPIONS!
  • Interests:playing/coaching ice hockey, BARS, this, that, WHAT?
  • Favorite Poker Game:Beeeeeeeeeerains!

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

I only play once a week now and I'm terrible. I try to do shit I used to do when I was on the ice 4-5 days per week playing or coaching and I can't. I've given up and moved back to D and just hang out. :club:

#16 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

LOL, I play D now. Nobody else on our team really wanted to play D, and at first I hated it, but now I really like it and prefer it. bc....- you get a lot more ice time- I still pinch a lot and find I get a lot of scoring chances still. I probably pinch a lot more then I should, but I still find you can create offense from the point. - you see the game a lot better. I find on forward, at times you can find yourself running like a chicken with your head cut off. But playing D, you can see the whole play develop, and sometimes you can anticipate the outlet pass from the opposing team, and create a lot more turnovers, then you would be able to on forward- you get a lot more ice time
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch

#17 gruven

gruven

    The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

  • Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

View PostOttawa_Biatch, on Sunday, August 1st, 2010, 9:04 PM, said:

LOL, I play D now. Nobody else on our team really wanted to play D, and at first I hated it, but now I really like it and prefer it. bc....- you get a lot more ice time- I still pinch a lot and find I get a lot of scoring chances still. I probably pinch a lot more then I should, but I still find you can create offense from the point. - you see the game a lot better. I find on forward, at times you can find yourself running like a chicken with your head cut off. But playing D, you can see the whole play develop, and sometimes you can anticipate the outlet pass from the opposing team, and create a lot more turnovers, then you would be able to on forward- you get a lot more ice time
You're just ****ing lazy and dont want to skate any more.... 90 seconds hard skating or float all day....... :club:
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#18 Mercury69

Mercury69

    Half man! Half man!

  • Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pftph!
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

So awesome! Good luck!
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#19 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

View Postgruven, on Sunday, August 1st, 2010, 11:26 PM, said:

You're just ****ing lazy and dont want to skate any more.... 90 seconds hard skating or float all day....... :club:
LOL, I am pretty lazy. We sometimes have 8 forwards though, so the ice time sucks. D, you get on every other shift, sometimes we only play 3 D as well. I'm pretty pumped though for tomorrow's game. I might be a little tired though, because I'm taking a half day off work to go rock climbing, but our game isn't until 11pm, so I should be fine by then.
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch

#20 Ottawa_Biatch

Ottawa_Biatch

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Good win tonight, we won 5-0. It was pretty expected though as we played the worst team in the league. Next game is Sunday in Nepean.
--------------------------------------

Follow me on twitter

http://twitter.com/Ottawa_Biatch




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users