Which One Is More Important? Playing It Safe Or Doing What I Did?

So, here's the situation. I'm playing a $10+1 27 man Sit and Go on PokerStars and top 5 get paid.We're down to the last table, and I have like a litte more than average. The shortest stack shoves in kinda early position. It gets folded to me and I have AcKc. I figure he's kinda desperate and would shove with any two cards. Now here's my train of thought. I'm thinking, I can fold it and just play it safe and make it into the money. Or, I can try and get myself in a position for a top 3 or better finish. I figured, if I was going to play this hand, my best move would be to isolate and try and get it heads-up, so I reraised all-in. I ended up losing the hand, and I'm not gonna complain about getting beat cause I know it happens and I've been on both ends of suck outs. But, my question is, would it have made sense to fold it and just try and cash? Oh, for anyone who cares, I ended up like one away from the bubble. :(Hand history below:PokerStars Game #35530026027: Tournament #213770446, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2009/11/18 14:36:01 ETTable '213770446 3' 9-max Seat #4 is the buttonSeat 1: Marmotin1968 (5680 in chips) Seat 2: poulosplayer (4180 in chips) Seat 3: Benny Binion (3440 in chips) Seat 4: patho (4299 in chips) Seat 5: Mingomat (2700 in chips) Seat 6: JAY54BEAR (8433 in chips) Seat 7: DRAZIKE (5403 in chips) Seat 8: vector001 (4260 in chips) Seat 9: mr weasley (2105 in chips) Marmotin1968: posts the ante 25poulosplayer: posts the ante 25Benny Binion: posts the ante 25patho: posts the ante 25Mingomat: posts the ante 25JAY54BEAR: posts the ante 25DRAZIKE: posts the ante 25vector001: posts the ante 25mr weasley: posts the ante 25Mingomat: posts small blind 200JAY54BEAR: posts big blind 400*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to patho [Kc Ac]DRAZIKE: folds vector001: folds mr weasley: raises 1680 to 2080 and is all-inMarmotin1968: folds poulosplayer: folds Benny Binion: folds patho: raises 2194 to 4274 and is all-inMingomat: folds JAY54BEAR: folds Uncalled bet (2194) returned to patho*** FLOP *** [4c Qd Jh]*** TURN *** [4c Qd Jh] [Kh]*** RIVER *** [4c Qd Jh Kh] [8d]*** SHOW DOWN ***mr weasley: shows [Ad Ts] (a straight, Ten to Ace)patho: shows [Kc Ac] (a pair of Kings)mr weasley collected 4985 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 4985 | Rake 0 Board [4c Qd Jh Kh 8d]Seat 1: Marmotin1968 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: poulosplayer folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: Benny Binion folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: patho (button) showed [Kc Ac] and lost with a pair of KingsSeat 5: Mingomat (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 6: JAY54BEAR (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 7: DRAZIKE folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 8: vector001 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 9: mr weasley showed [Ad Ts] and won (4985) with a straight, Ten to Ace

Standard. bbfidts
Uh, I assume that means something for bad beat forum or something. Um, I know it's a bad beat, I said I'm not complaining about it. I was looking for advice or suggestions.

If you have any concern you're making a laydown just to get ITM, think of it as shoveltime!Offcourse with a few exceptions, but unless you play some really wierd formats, or if youknow the maths regarding your situation exremely well, you should always play hands like these.Your situation is never a fold, unless you don't like to earn money, as Outsider<33 said.

You got your money in good. For what it's worth, I'd probably have called as well.
Actually, I didn't just call. I re-raised all-in. Right move? Obviously, I think it was, since that's what I did. :club:
Always punt when it's 4th and 2 from your own 28 with 2:08 to go up 6 pts!! I don't care what some computer program decides is mathematically more correct. Thoughts?
not if the opponent is washington state university.

If you won this hand you wouldn't have made this thread...hence.....it's the correct play....incorrect result. 75% of the time you have 7k and are ready to rock into the money.

Yeah you made the standard, and correct play but just got sucked out on. Look @ it this way, if you make that play the next 100 times you come across it, you statistically win about 75 of those hands and profit overall.Forget the suckout and focus on the fact that you made the correct play.

I agree with Biff 100%. You made the right play and got your money in as a big favorite. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out. As poker players we'd love to get our money in as a 75% favorite everytime. But that still means that 25% of the time we will lose. Don't let the fact that you lost this pot discourage you. Also, you had just over 10 big blinds at the start of the hand and 4 people away from the money. So you probably wouldn't be able to just fold your way into the money.

I agree with Biff 100%. You made the right play and got your money in as a big favorite. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out. As poker players we'd love to get our money in as a 75% favorite everytime. But that still means that 25% of the time we will lose. Don't let the fact that you lost this pot discourage you. Also, you had just over 10 big blinds at the start of the hand and 4 people away from the money. So you probably wouldn't be able to just fold your way into the money.
wow...I didn't even catch that (no conversion on hand)......yah THIS makes it even more of a standard hand....
Level VIII (200/400) Seat 1: Marmotin1968 (5680 in chips) Seat 2: poulosplayer (4180 in chips) Seat 3: Benny Binion (3440 in chips) Seat 4: patho (4299 in chips) Seat 5: Mingomat (2700 in chips) Seat 6: JAY54BEAR (8433 in chips) Seat 7: DRAZIKE (5403 in chips) Seat 8: vector001 (4260 in chips) Seat 9: mr weasley (2105 in chips)
At this blind level, this player is probably the only one at the table who shouldn't be shoving or folding pre-flop. The 2 ~14 BB stacks most likely should be shipping or folding as well. With that said, you have just over 10 BB's and have been dealt AK there is only one play. If you are thinking of "folding to the money" tournament poker will not be rewarding for you unless you like min. cashing istead of winning.
  • 4 weeks later...
Standard. bbfidts
Actually, I didn't just call. I re-raised all-in. Right move? Obviously, I think it was, since that's what I did. :club:
You played it perfectly, other than the losing the hand part.
all the above.this is so super standard. i mean jesus.maybe if you held a mediocre hand this might warrant some discussion
  • 3 weeks later...
all the above.this is so super standard. i mean jesus.maybe if you held a mediocre hand this might warrant some discussion
Not to jump on the dogpile but I agree as well. If I get a hand like this at this point of the tourney, I can't wait to shove it all in!
You played it perfectly, other than the losing the hand part.
I echo that sentiment. Couldn't have said it better. If you were really that worried about cashing then maybe you should be playing a smaller buy in. You play to win, not just to cash.