did i overdo it? (lhe) oct 5th

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converterPreflop: Hero is UTG with 6:club:, 6:spade:. Hero calls, 4 folds, Hero calls, CO calls.Flop: (7 SB) A:spade:, Q:diamond:, 6:heart: (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, SB calls.Turn: (5 BB) 8:club: (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets, Hero calls.River: (13 BB) T:heart: (2 players)SB bets, SB calls.Final Pot: 21 BBThis table is pretty passive preflop, not many raises, therefore I'm not second-guessing calling with 66 utg at all. After we cap the turn, do I have to slow way down on the river? Maybe bet-call or even check-call? I don't ever fold here right? I think I bet way too hard on this hand.

Preflop and flop are fine.I think the turn cap is fine.I might just call the river bet though. He's gotta have SOMETHING to lead into a cap like that. He could have AA, QQ, 88, or some freak nasty other stuff. I don't think I want to cap this river with an unimproved baby set.His OOP preflop raise kinda scares me.

Im just calling villains 3bet on the river, other than that it looks good.
Why would you raise the river if you can't cap? River raises are for value only, because there aren't any more cards coming. You're either ahead, or you're not. If you think there's a better than good chance you're not, you should just show this down rather than "win one or none/lose 2" by raising the river.I think 3-betting the turn check-raise is the right play, because we DO have a set. For his raise preflop AND cap on the turn though, I just want to show down the river.

i think your cap is fine. like TJ said..if your not capping the riv no reason for the raise on the riv unless you think your ahead. i've seen many people overplay AK, AQ, and even AJ here...yes I said AJ...you never know. If he has AA or QQ and you lose, well then you lose, thats poker...move on...you have a set..i play it just the way you did.

Just call the river. Any reads on SB? I gladly head towards capping the river against someone you have seen routinely overplay TPTK or 2 pair. Despite the horrible players out there, it won't happen too often that you're ahead here.

What format are you using on the converter? Because every time I try to convert a hand it dosen't work and it's really starting to censored me off.
"Bet The Pot"or I can't think of the other one I use.THe one with FTR is down..or was.also...delete the word "Texas"..converter doen't like that.back to hand.You can raise river w/o capping because his 3-bet is more information.Now, whethe its' enough info to go from risking 2 to win one to now just callnig instead of risking 1 more to win one..I don't know. "Im just saying, his 3-bet gives you more info.

the most logical hand for him to have would be pk 8s since he went nuts with it on the turn and he didnt raise it preflop. I like the turn play and depending on who the player was (ie what his stats are) i either may or may not cap the river...likely ill just call the 3 bet and make him show me the set of 8s

Yes, I think you absolutely overdid it on this hand. Generally when a player raises from the small blind it's a sign of strength. For him to then check and call on the flop that would generally mean one of two things:1) He doesn't like the ace2) He is setting a trap The only hand you could feasibly beat is AK, but it's also unlikely that your opponent would play it that aggressively on the turn, and especially on the river. No offense, but you lost way too much money on this hand. In fact, so many alarm bells would go off in my head that my opponent had aces the way he played the hand that I "might" just call the raise on the turn, and call the raise on the river.

In fact, so many alarm bells would go off in my head that my opponent had aces the way he played the hand that I "might" just call the raise on the turn, and call the raise on the river.
You need to have a very strong read on your opponent IMO to not three bet this turn.You simply cannot be afraid of someone flopping an over set on you.At this limit he could be holding ANY thing, and I can guarantee you are ahead here more times than you are behind.So three bet and if he caps just call down the river. If he calls and then bets out on the river, I would also be weary and just call.Just my $.02 though.

Oh and before I get flamed I'm not saying Daniel is wrong.I'm just stating that you need a strong read to not 3-bet the turn here. And a read like that at a .50/1 level isn't usually possible.He could have K-Jo. Seriously. I've seen someone cap me with a gut shot straight on the turn before at these levels.And he raised with that from the SB preflop.

The only hand you could feasibly beat is AK, but it's also unlikely that your opponent would play it that aggressively on the turn, and especially on the river.
He can beat AQ and AJ here. And it is very feasible that he has either those two or AK. People at this level think it is a great idea to wait until the turn to play AK aggressively when they flop an ace and raise with either of these three hands from any position preflop.

yikes, i'm half assed with Liberty....people at that level geniunley over value their hands way to much. The hand does wreak of AA but also of a typically over played AK or AQ also. At the higher levels that i've never played at I'm thinking DN is right.

While I would normally raise this turn in heart beat, Daniel might have a point here. Players at this level do some really crazy things, but this may not be one of them.A lot of players do like to raise out of the SB with tons of hands they shouldnt. This guy could have AT offsuit for all we know. But usually they raise (with 2 people already in) because they plan to bet on the flop, turn, AND river no matter what in an effort to get you to fold. These people arent really creative enough to change their strategy from "bet out no matter what" to, "I'll raise form the SB, then hit TP, check/call he flop, and then suck them in for an extra bet with my check/raise on the turn." He is more likely to play this way if he flopped a monster and wants to let people catch up for fear that he wont get paid. I would be much more likely to think he's full of crap if he had check/raised the flop or just bet out.That being said I probably still 3bet it on the turn, but I think it might be closer than we realize. BTW, call down after the turn cap.

Had this been a $10K $20K game between Beal and Brunson (with you being Beal), I think you played it fine. :club: At the $0.25/$0.50 level on stars, I think your behind, and overplayed your hand big time. :D

If you played the hand like that in the big game, you'd pretty much lose about 95% of the time.
Okay this is a problem that I have noticed. The advice is not always the same on all levels. Clearly, I'm not playing in the "big game". But I do play much higher than most people here. And my thought process can and will be different.Having said that, I have watched the lower limit games and am just AMAZED at some of the things that I have seen. People going to the river, with no pair, no draw, no hope, etc. Giving advice about some of these hands is almost counter productive at times. Because I'm used to playing with people who are "pretty" good. But some of these other players at the lower limits can LITERALLY have anything.Of course poker is poker. But I have seen a new breed in some of these game, lol. Good Luck.
But some of these other players at the lower limits can LITERALLY have anything.
I got $10 free on Royal Vegas a few weeks ago. In an attempt to pratice "decent" bankroll management, I've been playing the smallest stakes (.05/.10 Limit). It absolutely astounds me what hands people will 3-bet and cap on the river at this level. I'll be sitting on the nut straight and they'll go freaking crazy with two pair.In this specific hand, AQ is perfectly plausible, but I'm not sure that I could cap the river.