Wine Thread

OK so I need a diversion, and since DN talked about Caymus in his most recent blog and it is one of my favorite wineries I thought we should have a wine thread.Some of you may drink wine, some don't, I am sure this will be littered with pics of Box Wine, but thats OK.I'm a huge fan o Cabernets and blends, and my favorite winerey is Pine Ridge in napa. This is my favorite blend.2004 OnyxORIGIN: Distinguished for our passion for Bordeaux varietals, we are pleased to introduce the 2004 vintage of Onyx. A testament to what can be uncovered when a lesser known varietal rounds out the blend, Onyx provides a perfect showcase for the Malbec grape. Originally modeled after the Black Wines of Cahors using Malbec, Tannat and Merlot as the base blend, subsequent vintages have varied slightly, dictated by each year’s weather, yields and expression of varietal character. The 2004 Onyx consists of 29% Tannat, 27% Malbec, 20% Merlot, 18% Petit Verdot and 6% Cabernet Sauvignon, grown in our densely planted estate vineyards. 04_Onyx_clip-72-350.jpg

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow Kdawg hasn't replied yet?I personally am a fan of the South Eastern Aussie Chiraz, they are yummy, I've had a couple nice chilean ones lately, and on monday I was at a student leaders function and there was a really good californian that I had, Freshen or soemthing like that.

wow Kdawg hasn't replied yet?I personally am a fan of the South Eastern Aussie Chiraz, they are yummy, I've had a couple nice chilean ones lately, and on monday I was at a student leaders function and there was a really good californian that I had, Freshen or soemthing like that.
collection-introduction.jpgTry some from them, if you can afford it the Grange is supposed to be one of the best wines ever. About $450 a bottle ( I have never tried it). But you can get some of there other shiraz for 10 - 40 that are pretty good
I'm learning wines- love 'em.Tomorrow, I'm drinking a bottle of Mead.
Not a fan as of right now, the only one I have ever had was South African and it was so sweet, too sweet to drink.Your in Chicago right? When my wife and I were out there a few years ago we looked at a wine list and 80% of it was from Napa, which is an hour from my house, so that was actually the first place I tried Australian wine because I just did not want to pay the $$$ it cost in Chicago for somehting I new I could get 1/4 of the price here.
wow Kdawg hasn't replied yet?
I was workingall I have to say is that only douchebags and pompous assholes drink wine, especially french ones.so, with that said, I'm drinking a Grand Cru Burgundy right now :club:
I was workingall I have to say is that only douchebags and pompous assholes drink wine, especially french ones.so, with that said, I'm drinking a Grand Cru Burgundy right now :club:
aren't you the chief ******* and cheif douchebag?Guap, I have tried regular Penfolds, the Karatooga (i believe) reserve is one of my favorites and only runs about 16$ a bottle

If you like the Blends, try the Estancia Meritage (btw, a little Pronunciation tip: "Meritage" Rhymes with "Heritage")One of my favorite, slightly hard to find Cabs under $20 is from Hogue and is called Genesis. My wife has been drinking Newton, another good Cab under $20.Yummy.

If you like the Blends, try the Estancia Meritage (btw, a little Pronunciation tip: "Meritage" Rhymes with "Heritage")One of my favorite, slightly hard to find Cabs under $20 is from Hogue and is called Genesis. My wife has been drinking Newton, another good Cab under $20.Yummy.
there's such a thing as a good cali cab for under $20? I have yet to have one, and estancia doesn't fully fit that bill. The 04 Fransiscan or the 04 75 vineyards amber knolls are solid at $20, but I've yet to rate either of them higher then an 87, and you can find that same quality in a Kamiak(this is from washington) for $9 less or get better quality from either the catena cab or marques de concha cab, catena is from argentina and marques de concha is from chile. Both are at the same price, if not lower(I'm just referring to the regular catena, not the alta which is around $40)I work at a big wine store, so if people say what they generally like and what their price range is, I can give a bunch of recs
aren't you the chief ******* and cheif douchebag?Guap, I have tried regular Penfolds, the Karatooga (i believe) reserve is one of my favorites and only runs about 16$ a bottle
Its koonuga hill, and they differentiate their wines by Bin #, I believe the $20 one was Bin 128 and it was OK, pretty good for the price but not fantastic.
there's such a thing as a good cali cab for under $20? I have yet to have one, and estancia doesn't fully fit that bill. The 04 Fransiscan or the 04 75 vineyards amber knolls are solid at $20, but I've yet to rate either of them higher then an 87, and you can find that same quality in a Kamiak(this is from washington) for $9 less or get better quality from either the catena cab or marques de concha cab, catena is from argentina and marques de concha is from chile. Both are at the same price, if not lower(I'm just referring to the regular catena, not the alta which is around $40)I work at a big wine store, so if people say what they generally like and what their price range is, I can give a bunch of recs
I agree,one of my favorites that is always good and I can usually find on sale from the $40 range, closer to $20 is Ferrari Carano. Either the Cab or their Merlot is darker and closer to a Cab than most.

If you want some basica wine knowledge with a plethora of recomendations check out this site.Robs Wine PageThis guy has a radio show in Sacramento and Reno in the mornings and he is self proclaimed Napa Wine Snob, he is pompu.s but he knows his shit, pretty much every wine I have tried that he has done a review on I have agreed more or less with what he had to say. He is a value guy, meaning if you pay $100 for a bottle of wine it better be twice as good as the $50 bottle so his recomendations are value based which is pretty cool, and he has wrote up from $20 bottle to $500 bottles.

since you are an aussie fan, you should really check out the 05 thorn-clarke shotfire. It's $15 at my store and should be still available
I agree,one of my favorites that is always good and I can usually find on sale from the $40 range, closer to $20 is Ferrari Carano. Either the Cab or their Merlot is darker and closer to a Cab than most.
ferrari carano is okay, but with california, you generally have to spend some more $$$ to get good cabs and you have to spend a lot to get the great ones. You can find a lot of good stuff in the 30-50 range, one of my favorites being the 04 lewelling and Turnbull always puts out a really solid cab. WHere california has it's best value these days is in their syrahs. It's still a bit undiscovered in america and while there are some very top of the line ones like Pax, you can get a lot of good stuff for under 40
If you want some basica wine knowledge with a plethora of recomendations check out this site.Robs Wine PageThis guy has a radio show in Sacramento and Reno in the mornings and he is self proclaimed Napa Wine Snob, he is pompu.s but he knows his shit, pretty much every wine I have tried that he has done a review on I have agreed more or less with what he had to say. He is a value guy, meaning if you pay $100 for a bottle of wine it better be twice as good as the $50 bottle so his recomendations are value based which is pretty cool, and he has wrote up from $20 bottle to $500 bottles.
I disagree with his assessment on what one pays. I've had some 100+ wines, and it's all really subjective. While something like Opus One is obscenely over rated, there is a pedigree difference in something like Caymus SPecial select and cali cabs that are in the 50-60 range. It's all in the polish and finish that wines like that bring. In no way shape or form though am I saying that all 100+ wines are superior to ones around 50. I'm a bordeaux guy personally, and I've had some amazing bottles that were in the 50-75 range(well, note the past tense as the prices have skyrocketed on some of them due to the speculation of the 05 vintage). I'm a big fan of the 04 vintage, and there are tons of great wines to be had under 50 and one of my favorites is ~60 per bottle. Part of it though is the class of them being major second growth wines though

I've just fairly recently began to enjoy wine, though I really don't know much about it other than what I like and what I don't.Currently I've been on a Pinot Grigio kick so any advise for reasonably priced (under $50) bottles would be appreciated as well as other recommendationsthat I might like based on liking the Grigio's.Side note - for whatever reason I have not liked versions from Italy as much as the US, specifically WA.

since you are an aussie fan, you should really check out the 05 thorn-clarke shotfire. It's $15 at my store and should be still available ferrari carano is okay, but with california, you generally have to spend some more $$$ to get good cabs and you have to spend a lot to get the great ones. You can find a lot of good stuff in the 30-50 range, one of my favorites being the 04 lewelling and Turnbull always puts out a really solid cab. WHere california has it's best value these days is in their syrahs. It's still a bit undiscovered in america and while there are some very top of the line ones like Pax, you can get a lot of good stuff for under 40I disagree with his assessment on what one pays. I've had some 100+ wines, and it's all really subjective. While something like Opus One is obscenely over rated, there is a pedigree difference in something like Caymus SPecial select and cali cabs that are in the 50-60 range. It's all in the polish and finish that wines like that bring. In no way shape or form though am I saying that all 100+ wines are superior to ones around 50. I'm a bordeaux guy personally, and I've had some amazing bottles that were in the 50-75 range(well, note the past tense as the prices have skyrocketed on some of them due to the speculation of the 05 vintage). I'm a big fan of the 04 vintage, and there are tons of great wines to be had under 50 and one of my favorites is ~60 per bottle. Part of it though is the class of them being major second growth wines though
Turnbull is a quality winery, As far as the 100 - 50 I was summarizing some of the stuff he has said, BTW if you read his recomendations and his overated wines, Opus One is the top of the list.I love Pine Ridge as I said before, Caymus is fantastic, Have you triedNickel and NiceklCake BreadRobert SinskyPrideDuckhorn?
since you are an aussie fan, you should really check out the 05 thorn-clarke shotfire. It's $15 at my store and should be still available
As soon as one of my three jobs decides that paying me woudl be a good idea i can get back into buying some wines...I am excited because my gf is a media buyer for a major Advertising company here in toronto, and it's comming up on gift season :club:

Been drinking a lot of Spanish and Argentinian Reds lately.Usually under 10 bucks.Tempranillo, Malbec, Grenache.I kinda prefer sweeter wines though. A bit less earthy.Any tips?

Turnbull is a quality winery, As far as the 100 - 50 I was summarizing some of the stuff he has said, BTW if you read his recomendations and his overated wines, Opus One is the top of the list.I love Pine Ridge as I said before, Caymus is fantastic, Have you triedNickel and NiceklCake BreadRobert SinskyPrideDuckhorn?
i've tried all but Pride. N&N varies soooo much from vineyard to vineyard and for my money isn't worth buying. Cake Bread is okay, but I like their chard a lot more then their cab as far as value for $ goes. For me, I'd rather have duckhorn's merlot then their cab most years, but I'm a duckhorn fan, but it's more sentimentality for me then me being objective. Sinsky has been pretty good from what I've had, but hard to find
Been drinking a lot of Spanish and Argentinian Reds lately.Usually under 10 bucks.Tempranillo, Malbec, Grenache.I kinda prefer sweeter wines though. A bit less earthy.Any tips?
Kurt, check out Editerria's 06 Via Terra. I'll take a look at my store over the next few days to jot some stuff down in the 10-15 range
i've tried all but Pride. N&N varies soooo much from vineyard to vineyard and for my money isn't worth buying. Cake Bread is okay, but I like their chard a lot more then their cab as far as value for $ goes. For me, I'd rather have duckhorn's merlot then their cab most years, but I'm a duckhorn fan, but it's more sentimentality for me then me being objective. Sinsky has been pretty good from what I've had, but hard to findKurt, check out Editerria's 06 Via Terra. I'll take a look at my store over the next few days to jot some stuff down in the 10-15 range
Sinskey's new is better than their older IMO, It is supposed to be only gotten at high end wine stores, fine restaraunts and of course the winery. But I am very lucky, the liqour guy at my local safeway knows his wine and somehow is able to get it there and some other hard to finds.Have you tried plumpjack? Where are you from Kdawg?
Sinskey's new is better than their older IMO, It is supposed to be only gotten at high end wine stores, fine restaraunts and of course the winery. But I am very lucky, the liqour guy at my local safeway knows his wine and somehow is able to get it there and some other hard to finds.Have you tried plumpjack? Where are you from Kdawg?
I haven't had any plumjack in a while, I've pretty much gone away from cali cabs. They just don't do it for me(as a whole) anymore and I love bordeaux so much more. I'm in the chicago burbs right now
yup, it should be at any of the binny's