Have all of you noticed how much slow-playing monster hands has been used in real money or tourney environments. It seems like everytime I catch a pair I have the guy thats been checking to me, raising me out of the game. It's been getting very frustrating of late to have someone check-raise me.. I understand it is a tactic of the game, but to see it as much as I have seen it, I am better off checking around everytime I have something monsterous.btw, this is my first post here, just got beat on two pair to three of a kind by someone who slow played it off the flop.-brian

Everyone slowplays everything online , especially at the limits I'm playing at, either $20 or $30 sit and gos. If the flop is 10 6 6 and I fire a bet and am called by one of th blinds, I'll usually slow down.

Guest XXEddie
Have all of you noticed how much slow-playing monster hands has been used in real money or tourney environments. It seems like everytime I catch a pair I have the guy thats been checking to me, raising me out of the game. It's been getting very frustrating of late to have someone check-raise me.. I understand it is a tactic of the game, but to see it as much as I have seen it, I am better off checking around everytime I have something monsterous.btw, this is my first post here, just got beat on two pair to three of a kind by someone who slow played it off the flop.-brian
Yeah there a lot of check-raising now a days. My advice when you flop a good hand(i.e. str8, tripos, two piar) lead out and bet it. A lot of amatuer will figure you dont have anything or else you would of checked
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow playing a monster hand isn't always the best idea... for example, you're dealt 8h 8d and the flop is 7c 8c Jh. You probably have the best right now, but checking right now probably isn't such a good idea. Betting here would be correct because1. extracts money out of flush / straight drawers (if they dont make their hand, which will happen 2/3 of the time)2. gives you more information about your opponents' hands (if they re-raise, they will likely be on a flush draw, trying to get a free river card)3. destroys all backdoor draws (unless they are idiots or calling stations)4. hopefully people with top pair will call youThis would apply to flopping a straight with two (or three) flop cards of the same suit.