2011 Off Season Signings, Trades And Rumours

Rumour is Bryzgalov wants 7 years at $50 million.WTF is that?The Flyers would be high to sign this contract.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumour is Bryzgalov wants 7 years at $50 million.WTF is that?The Flyers would be high to sign this contract.
The Flyers have lost back-to-back STRONG changes at championships because of goaltending. With the salary cap going up to $64 million, there's no reason not to give Bryz whatever he needs to sign on the dotted line. With that huge cap increase they don't even have to trade anyone to fit him in, really.

Signing any goalie for that much money for that long is really really really really stupid. Mainly because of the length of the deal. If a goalie starts to lose it a bit it's not like they can become a 2nd liner and just get less ice time like you can with a forward on a big contract. They're either at the top of their game eating up the minutes or it's a disaster since they're either playing badly and eating up minutes or on the bench and costing you a ton of money.

Signing any goalie for that much money for that long is really really really really stupid. Mainly because of the length of the deal. If a goalie starts to lose it a bit it's not like they can become a 2nd liner and just get less ice time like you can with a forward on a big contract. They're either at the top of their game eating up the minutes or it's a disaster since they're either playing badly and eating up minutes or on the bench and costing you a ton of money.
Also we have seen goalies come out of nowhere and perform at a very high level..Tim Thomas was bouncing around the minors and Europe till he was 30..All of a sudden he is a Conn Smythe winner and Stanley Cup champ..One of the best goalies in the league the last few years.Similar situation with Reimer in Toronto. No one expected him to be a high end goalie, he has shown possibly he can be a top end guy..Lot to prove on that end though..Even Bryzgalov was a goalie that was placed on waivers not too long ago.

That's fair, I didn't realize he's 31 years old already so a 7 year term would be pretty excessive. Shades of the Khabibulin contract are coming to mind now...

The Flyers have lost back-to-back STRONG changes at championships because of goaltending. With the salary cap going up to $64 million, there's no reason not to give Bryz whatever he needs to sign on the dotted line. With that huge cap increase they don't even have to trade anyone to fit him in, really.
Uh, you sure about that?If Bryz gets 7.0, this is who they have SIGNED.y6NH8Hz0A60WyxEspy37.jpgRFAs - Powe, Nold, Kalinski, CarcilloUFAs - Leinoedit - should have removed Laperriere as he's definitely retired or LTIR or whatever, but still add an extra roster spot to fill.edit2 - fixed the graphic to reflect the above edit

Good work Zach. Adam also makes a very good point though, the Flyers are in a tough spot here. I wouldnt think they would trade for his rights if they arent seriously interested in signing him.Bryzgalov has them over a barrell here and holds the cards..The question is can he get anywhere near that in the open market?

Good work Zach. Adam also makes a very good point though, the Flyers are in a tough spot here. I wouldnt think they would trade for his rights if they arent seriously interested in signing him.
They traded for Hamhuis last year. So did Pittsburgh. You don't have to sign the guy, and of course you're serious, but you're trading for the window where you have no competition.
I wouldnt sign bryz for more than 3 years.
me neither but someone will I believe.I think most long term contracts look bad after a few years..Some look disaster like (Yashin, Dipietro)...But teams keep signing them.Having said that Brad Richards will sign a mega contract , that mostly likely 4 years down the line has a chance to be a really bad contract.

There's been a lot of speculation that Versteeg is getting moved at the draft or later in the offseason, very unlikely that he starts the season with the Flyers. Bury Leighton in the minors and resign Boucher to a backup contract (under a million), that gives you $3.5 million to spend on 4th liners and a 7th defenseman.

There's been a lot of speculation that Versteeg is getting moved at the draft or later in the offseason, very unlikely that he starts the season with the Flyers. Bury Leighton in the minors and resign Boucher to a backup contract (under a million), that gives you $3.5 million to spend on 4th liners and a 7th defenseman.
Versteeg is an interesting one. He tilts me to no end..He seems to have so much talent, and then he seems like he is dogging it a lot of nights.The mouthguard hanging all the time doesnt help either.If he does get moved, there comes a time you have to look at a player like him that keeps getting traded and ask why..

Give me 30mins, and Ill fit Bryz into Philly's lineup at 7million with little change. You guys still overvalue cap space. That said, I wouldnt sign him long term either. And, Im pretty sure Philly is competing with themselves, and they still have Vokoun as an option if Bryz plays hardball. There arent a lot of top calibre teams looking for starting goalies, Bryz+Vokoun's options are few, especially if they have any intention on playing for a winner.4yrs, 5.5 per. And even that seems excessive.

I wasn't overvaluing anything. If they sign Bryz for $7 million, they are over the cap. Period. I think their top 9 takes a decent sized hit, but that comes with the territory. Shifting the money from skaters to goaltending. They'll lose Leino and/or Versteeg, and they've still just got Bartulis as their 6th d-man. Word is that Carle is available too, but then they still need to replace him on the back end.

When the Winnipeg "team formerly from Atlanta" goes up to make a draft pick on Friday, will they have a jersey ? Will they be announcing the name before the weekend?If not, WHY the hell not?

I wasn't overvaluing anything. If they sign Bryz for $7 million, they are over the cap. Period. I think their top 9 takes a decent sized hit, but that comes with the territory. Shifting the money from skaters to goaltending. They'll lose Leino and/or Versteeg, and they've still just got Bartulis as their 6th d-man. Word is that Carle is available too, but then they still need to replace him on the back end.
They're going to lose Leino no matter what, he wants too much money and will sign somewhere else for sure. He's UFA. The Penguins proved that you can win a Cup with great centers, great goaltending, good defense and marginal wingers, that's the model I think Philly is going to follow.
I think Arp's argument is IF they really want him they will make the moves to fit him in..Trade Carter for draft picks and a younger player and problem solved.

Except then you lose a 40 goal guy... I'm not saying it's the wrong move, but it's not like it's going to be particularly easy to replace that kind of offense. There's a give/take here.

I think Arp's argument is IF they really want him they will make the moves to fit him in..Trade Carter for draft picks and a younger player and problem solved.
Philly has proven to be extremely masterful in fitting players under the cap without losing their core depth. Three years ago I couldn't find any way possible that they could sign Jeff Carter without dumping a big salary, and they managed it with relative ease. With the cap jumping by $5 million Paul Holmgren's job of getting a goalie (whether it's Bryz or it isn't) gets much easier.

That's true. Should be interesting. Their top 9 depth is why they were as good as they were, plus a strong defense. If they can add Bryz without hurting that, then look out. I think they take small hits on both fronts, though.

That's true. Should be interesting. Their top 9 depth is why they were as good as they were, plus a strong defense. If they can add Bryz without hurting that, then look out. I think they take small hits on both fronts, though.
They'll be taking hits up front but that's going to happen whether they spend the money on a goalie or not. Leino is gone no matter what and Versteeg is probably getting traded. Carcillo won't be back due to general jackassery and Zherdev will probably go back to Russia. The Flyers prospect cupboard is pretty barren so they'll either have to bring in some reasonably cheap help on the wings through free agency or they'll have to find a way to make some deals.
Philly has proven to be extremely masterful in fitting players under the cap without losing their core depth. Three years ago I couldn't find any way possible that they could sign Jeff Carter without dumping a big salary, and they managed it with relative ease. With the cap jumping by $5 million Paul Holmgren's job of getting a goalie (whether it's Bryz or it isn't) gets much easier.
EXACTLY!Every time someone considers a high salary player, fans dicuss how that team is going to be capped out and under all kinds of pressure to move their 50goal scorer....and yet, all that ever happens is that some 6th D on the team gets replaced by a very capable AHL player making 1/6th his salary. (not targetted at you Zach, just saying what i think is very true)Sorry to toot my own horn, I have been saying for years that the cap will keep going up and up, and it has. And everyone knew the players were going to kick in that 5% rule this year, so teams without much space knew that that, would help them get more room. Outside of Chicago and their own f'up with their RFA's, has any team really ever been in a salary cap problem of getting rid of core players?While sure, Philly might want to keep everyone, losing a Carle and getting a Bryz is not a give/take scenario. Thats like taking a Steak, and giving up a side of asparagus.

Arp makes a great point about the cap, and he has been saying it all along. I think we will be discussing the $48 million number more than the $64 million..Florida has to spend $30 million, they already have 11 players signed. Phoenix has to spend $18 million and they have already 15 players signed.We have talked about this at length but i just dont understand the logistics of how this can happen..The floor teams are going to be in bad shape..Lets face it Bryzgalov, Richards and the other high end players arent tripping over themselves to sign in Florida or Phoenix.

Arp makes a great point about the cap, and he has been saying it all along. I think we will be discussing the $48 million number more than the $64 million..Florida has to spend $30 million, they already have 11 players signed. Phoenix has to spend $18 million and they have already 15 players signed.We have talked about this at length but i just dont understand the logistics of how this can happen..The floor teams are going to be in bad shape..Lets face it Bryzgalov, Richards and the other high end players arent tripping over themselves to sign in Florida or Phoenix.
You could see scenarios where those teams who need to get to the floor take on marginal players with fairly large contracts from teams like Philly looking to get under the cap. Especially those players who might have a cap hit that is higher than their actual contract amount.