loving the low-limit oh8

Okay, so I just gotta share. I've only just started playing OH8 online a few weeks ago, but I feel that I'm starting to get a feel for the starting hands and, more importantly, for the post-flop play. I'm loving the fact that the schooling I see in low limit HE doesn't seem to apply to the low-limit OH8, since with OH8, it simply seems to be the nuts or bust.And I Played the most beautiful hand I've ever seen last night while triple-tabling the $0.50-$1 tables online.I know that with my lack of experience, I really have no business multi-tabling, but I like it since it actually seems to improve my play. With just one table going I tend to start to get a mild case of ADD and start acting like the Hold 'em fish, "just seeing a cheap flop" and then "just calling with a pretty good draw" all the way to losing big pot after big pot. With three tables going, I'm a lot tighter :)The hand in question went a little something like this (suits may be wrong, but this is the general gist):Small Blind: AA2K (shcc)Big Blind: 9T45 (hcdh)Mid-Position Player: A27K (csdd)Me (on the button): A234 (dhds)Pre-flop:MP - Call (50c) (A27K, not that stellar with the hanging 7, but the nut low is obviously playable)Me - Call (50c) (A234 has quickly become my favorite hand, and the Ace is suited no less!)SB - Raise (25c+50c) (AA2K, a raising hand if ever there was one)BB - Call (50c) (pretty loose, in my opinion, with 9T45)MP - Call (50c)Me - Call (50c)$4 in the pot. With exception of the big blind, I'd have played any of these hands, 9T45 might be worth seeing a flop with on virtue of its connectors. Little do we know that the A2 nut low is actually going to be sixthed if the A2 holds up.Flop: 6d 7c 8dNow, I'm sure we all thought this made for a pretty good flop. SB, MP and I all have made the nut low, and BB has just flopped the nut straight. MP and I both have flush draws, though his is worthless, but I have an advantage, as I am about to learn of the joys of counterfeit protection.SB - Bet (50c) (betting his nut low, maybe he feels his AA is still high as well)BB - Raise (50c+50c) (easy raise, he's holding the nuts)MP - Call ($1) (has to call with the nut low and a flush draw)Me - Call ($1) (I was fairly certain I was quartered, but still an easy call with 4 ppl in the pot and 2 "free" cards for the nut flush - the thought that I was sixthed never even crossed my mind)SB - Raise (50c+50c) (I put him on a strong high hand; a straight or a set, perhaps. Really he's over-playing his A2)BB - Raise (50c+50c) (Capping it with his nut straight)MP - Call ($1)Me - Call ($1) (MP and I are having the same feeling - that we're quartered)4-way capped on the flop, a total of $12, now in the pot.Turn: KhNo help for anyone.SB - Bet ($1) (obviously not considering that he is at least quartered, and is just raising the rake - he was in the position of the most information and payed no attention to it - he should be check-calling here)BB - Raise ($1+$1) (still has the nuts)MP - Call ($2) (simply can't throw away the nut low with a strong draw)Me - Call ($2) (ditto, except, most of my outs are to the nuts)SB - Raise ($1+$1) (Yeesh. Now I'm wondering if they don't BOTH have the nut straight - wouldn't that be funny, if all four of us just wind up with a quarter of the pot?)BB - Raise ($1+$1) (holding the nuts, capping)MP - Call ($2) (well past the point of no return - cheaper to stay and get quartered than fold and win nothing)Me - Call ($2) (ditto)Exact same betting pattern as the flop. Now we're talking tank-of-gas money. $28 in the pot.River: 2d!!!!!SB - CheckBB - CheckMP - Bet ($1) (his low is counterfeited and now totally worthless, but he's made his flush, and only AdXd will beat him - can't hold this against him)Me - Raise ($1+$1) (easiest move of my life - almost certainly 3/4 of the pot, most likely all of it, is mine now)SB - Call ($2) (I have no idea why he called here - but not complaining)BB - Call ($2) (feebly hoping his straight will hold up - and maybe he thinks his low is now good, as well, because it does beat A2 now)MP - Raise ($1+$1) (I'd have probably just called in his position - with a raise behind you, you gotta be worried about the one higher flush)Me - Raise ($1+$1) (Doing cartwheels that I was able to cap it)SB - Call ($2) (just throwing it away)BB - Call ($2) (ditto)$44 in the pot. Showdown:SB - High (pair of aces), Low (8762A)BB - High (straight, T-high), Low (76542)MP - High (flush, K-high), Low (8762A)Me - High* (flush, A-high), Low* (7632A)Oh baby, what a river. I knew that I was lucky when it hit, but I didn't know it would wind up being *that* lucky. The one card in the deck that can win me the high and the low was the one card in the deck that could prevent me from splitting the low half with 2 other people! And it shows that there are a lot of people out there that simply can't throw away their hands even when they should definitely know that they're beat. With that $44 pot, I netted over $60 total over a couple of hours last night, and while I know that that's not typical at these limits, I'm definitely going to be sitting around a few more of these tables!Just thought I'd share. Thanks for reading. Or not reading. Whichever is your preference :D

good hand, i think you played it fine.your analysis was good too, you're a solid player, it seems like.good post,aseemp.s. i definitely know the feeling when you know you're quartered, but some fish is three-betting and capping the nut low and you're forced to call the entire way. it sucks.

• 2 weeks later...