Car Talk

This thread is for discussing and asking questions about cars. I've been getting bombarded with PM's from seemingly everyone about various car issues and I figured we needed a thread. The main goal of this thread is to help you guys with car repair issues....If you are quoted for a job and want to know if it's reasonable, you would ask here. If you need a part for your car and are going to do the work yourself, ask about it here. I will find you the closest and cheapest parts in your area. I can help you with shipping as well. If you have a good mechanic that will install parts that you provide, this will be a great way to save a lot of money... as most mechanic take the price of a part and multiply by 2.5 or 3. So if it's expensive you can save a bunch.If you need a transmission, I can sell you a transmission and ship it to you for much less than normal. Although some shops charge extra for install labor if you don't buy the transmission from them.If you need help diagnosing problems. I have access to every TSB (technical service bulletin) for every vehicle produced. So if you need diagrams or anything else, I can help.RULES!!!1. provide your VIN number and zip code.2. If you can't provide your VIN, you need to post the year/make/model and engine size of your vehicle3. If you don't provide your VIN, make sure you post your model numbers. eg. Ford Windstar SEL, not just Ford Windstar.4. If the option is available on your car/truck, let me know if it's 4WD/AWD or 2WDAsk away.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$411. The quick lube place is going good for it though. The service manager at the dealership i took it too said this place is their best customer lol, but there always good about fixing their **** up

Pickup trucks are their own category

Hey,A buddy has a 97 Saturn SL2, his transmission just went out.He got a quote for $2,380 to fix it. That seems high.Thoughts?
I sent you a PM back, but the TAAT transmission (which is in the Saturn) is expensive. We would retail that job at around $1999, so it's not terrible. But I would shop around. (don't go to the dealer) Try AAMCO or Cottman's transmission.
Hey,A buddy has a 97 Saturn SL2, his transmission just went out.He got a quote for $2,380 to fix it. That seems high.Thoughts?
Depending on the miles and the condition he's probably better off getting another car vs fixing it.
Depending on the miles and the condition he's probably better off getting another car vs fixing it.
This is obviously the correct answer. That car, in perfect shape, probably isn't worth $2300.
This is obviously the correct answer. That car, in perfect shape, probably isn't worth $2300.
He's a chubby chaser, so the shocks/struts are worn too. Def leans to the passenger side. Thanks guys.
what would happen if im driving along at 70 on the highway, then i suddenly shift into reverse?or is that unpossible?
Hilarity.

The lug stud on my right front tire is sheared off and it's being held on by 3 bolts. Is this a big deal? The vehicle in question requires removal of the caliper in order to access the hub and I've never worked on them before, so if possible, I'd rather just drive it that way.

I have a question. My gf's car is a 2003 protege. She has not taken great care of it until i came along and bugged her to you know change the oil a little more frequently (like more often then every 16000 KM)Lately the car has lost a lot of power and has a kind of grinding feel when it is driving...any idea?Ira

what would happen if im driving along at 70 on the highway, then i suddenly shift into reverse?or is that unpossible?
I didn't see mythbusters, but unless you are going slowly, nothing will happen. The gears are spinning so fast (and your engine rpm's are different than your transmission rpm's) that it's impossible for the gears to grab onto each other. If you are going less than say 15 mph however, you will feel a huge jolt and then hear a loud bang and you will feel like you are in neutral... because you will no longer own a transmission on that particular vehicle.This is a little known fact. Many transmission mechanics... after installing the transmission, will 'buzz the governor' (not related to the mod... I don't believe). There is a part on many transmissions called a governor and if the new transmission isn't working properly, the ones that have a governor can sometimes be 'tricked' into working correctly by throwing the vehicle into park when going around 30 mph. I always laugh when I think about telling an uptight customer that we threw her SUV into park when driving down the road. (we never tell this to the customers.... obviously.)
The lug stud on my right front tire is sheared off and it's being held on by 3 bolts. Is this a big deal? The vehicle in question requires removal of the caliper in order to access the hub and I've never worked on them before, so if possible, I'd rather just drive it that way.
It's ok to drive on, but you should inspect the others frequently (read: everytime you get out of your car). If (when) another one breaks, you will need to repair it asap. You might want to just man up and do it. The extra torque on the remaining 3 will definitely cause them to break eventually.
I have a question. My gf's car is a 2003 protege. She has not taken great care of it until i came along and bugged her to you know change the oil a little more frequently (like more often then every 16000 KM)Lately the car has lost a lot of power and has a kind of grinding feel when it is driving...any idea?Ira
I have to run, so I don't have time to look into this right now... but I'll look up my protege material later tonight or tomorrow.
a woman was driving itno other reason

HiI have a 98 Ford Falcon (Australian made) with power windows in the front. A few months ago the windows started going up slower and slower then eventually ground to a halt and stopped going up completely.Recently I let rip with some Silicone spray down the rails which seems to have helped with the sliding issue but now the up/down button is really playing up, is this related to what ive down with the spray?Is it worth getting the rails cleaned out at my next service or is there another issue it could be? The motors seem to be doing ok when they have some lube on the window now so dont think its them thats the problem.Any advice appreciated, cheers.

lol, canadians....
This is going to be impossible to diagnose online or over the phone. You will need to take it into a repair shop. That being said, is it a Turbo or non-turbo? Does the loss of power happen when it's cold or hot or both?
HiI have a 98 Ford Falcon (Australian made) with power windows in the front. A few months ago the windows started going up slower and slower then eventually ground to a halt and stopped going up completely.Recently I let rip with some Silicone spray down the rails which seems to have helped with the sliding issue but now the up/down button is really playing up, is this related to what ive down with the spray?Is it worth getting the rails cleaned out at my next service or is there another issue it could be? The motors seem to be doing ok when they have some lube on the window now so dont think its them thats the problem.Any advice appreciated, cheers.
Falcon's weren't made in the US, so I don't have any information on TSB's or any other insider info on them, sorry. I would guess that it's your motor. How do you know that they are working correctly? Your dealer might be the best choice for a diagnoses on this problem. I wouldn't get it fixed there, but have them tell you what's wrong and take it somewhere cheaper to actually get the work done.
This is going to be impossible to diagnose online or over the phone. You will need to take it into a repair shop. That being said, is it a Turbo or non-turbo? Does the loss of power happen when it's cold or hot or both?
Thanks, I guess it would be rather hard. It does happen in both hot and cold. It is a 2003 Protege ET GS. So i am not sure if it's turbo or not. I would guess not.
Thanks, I guess it would be rather hard. It does happen in both hot and cold. It is a 2003 Protege ET GS. So i am not sure if it's turbo or not. I would guess not.
It's not a turbo. The 2005.5 MazdaSpeed Protege is the only turbo.

I want to sell my car. Best way to go about it quickly? I put an ad on craigslist a week or two ago, got one guy to come look, but didn't hear back, probably because my stupid hood decided not to open when he came to look at it. Happened once before, just needed some wd40, but of all times. Anyway....98 Civic EX Coupe, 102k miles, could use a new muffler, bumper scratches from living in the city, otherwise engine and trans are just dandy.But yeah, what do you think the easiest way to get it sold would be?