The golden rule of Stud Hi/lo 3 high, 3 low, but never 3 in the middle. You want to play hands that can scoop, dont chase half a pot. For a low to qualify you have to have 5 cards of 8 or lower.You never want second best hand in this game. That's all the info I can think of in a short summarized timeframe.Quick hand example(hole cards) - up cardYou (As3s) 8s 4c5s9s (2d)Donk1 (9d9c) 7h JcKd10h (Ac)Donk2 (JhKc) 10s 4h7dQc (Qh)

Stud game with a split pot, so any 5 cards for either high or lowLow must be 8 or lowerBest starting hand is 3 low suited cards (A,2,3s - 2,4,6s etc.)If you are coming in high, make sure you are against one player only, you might very well be playing for half the pot. So if pot has $20 and it cost you $2 to call, you are risking $2 to win $10...so make sure you're highs are locks before you pounding with your 2 pair.The secret that Checky taught me is to have 3 low cards to start,, make a low hand and back into a straight, flush or trips/2 pair to win high as well.If more than one guy is going low, with raises etc, and you have split Kings, fold preflop. you are playing for half the pot.

for the H/L part, it's just like omaha vs omaha 8 or better.other than that, it's just like regular Stud.
LOL GWC :club: You're assuming that I know what Omaha and Stud are
For a low to qualify you have to have 5 cards of 8 or lower.
Oops ! That would have been good to know a little sooner. I kept calling if I had no pair, wondering why I wasn't getting the low :D Thanks for the help guys. I might have to really learn this someday. I have no idea what I am doing......and I've been in the top 50% (mostly top 10%) since it started :D
The golden rule of Stud Hi/lo 3 high, 3 low, but never 3 in the middle. You want to play hands that can scoop, dont chase half a pot. For a low to qualify you have to have 5 cards of 8 or lower.You never want second best hand in this game. That's all the info I can think of in a short summarized timeframe.Quick hand example(hole cards) - up cardYou (As3s) 8s 4c5s9s (2d)Donk1 (9d9c) 7h JcKd10h (Ac)Donk2 (JhKc) 10s 4h7dQc (Qh)
Ummm...no one mentioned I could win both hi and low on one hand.....cha ching !
Good to see you expanding your pker horizon. have fun.
Finished 229 out of 2807How much do people really suck at this .....I don't even know the game !I will learn it now !
Remember how bad people were at hold'em on Party? Multiply that by about 2-3 billion.That's how bad they suck.
Remember how bad people were at hold'em on Party? Multiply that by about 2-3 billion.That's how bad they suck.
Or remember how bad everyone is at Omaha and Razz on every site?Multiply that by a brazillion as well.I suck at this one too. Definitely my weak spot in my HORSE dominance! :club:

I still don't know why Napa_Don quit playing Stud8, he pwned the games on Party.Pretty easy to turn a profit in this game once you understand it, most people don't know what they're doing.

Or remember how bad everyone is at Omaha and Razz on every site?
LOL QFTI haven't played Razz online in a while, but dereeekho keeps sending me HH from higher than I was playing, and it's gotten worse. I couldn't imagine it being possible, but I was proven wrong.

What are your opinions. I know in stud hi/lo if you are three handed or heads up in a pot and you have a low made and they are strictly going high and you are drawing to a flush, inside straight, or have an open ended straight, it is typical to ram and jam it with the low locked up and drawing to scoop. Some people say this is only appropriate in tournaments because there is no rake and it is dumb to do it in cash tables because of the split and the high rake...what are your opinions...i usually still ram and jam

What are your opinions. I know in stud hi/lo if you are three handed or heads up in a pot and you have a low made and they are strictly going high and you are drawing to a flush, inside straight, or have an open ended straight, it is typical to ram and jam it with the low locked up and drawing to scoop. Some people say this is only appropriate in tournaments because there is no rake and it is dumb to do it in cash tables because of the split and the high rake...what are your opinions...i usually still ram and jam
if it is heads up, ramming and jamming with a low vs an obvious very strong high hand that you cannot draw to scoop will net you no profit at showdown. But if its 3-handed, ramming and jamming will extract a SB from one of the strictly going high hands on each street assuming they c/c, amirite?If it is heads up, ramming and jamming with a low /w a scoop draw is a good thing, is it not? I mean if the two of you end up checking it down to 7th street and you make your scoop draw then and then you put in a bet, you've only managed to get 1 extra bet out of the villan. But if you picked up your low draw on 5th street and managed to bet at it and have him c/c the whole way, thats a whopping 3 BBs you get out of the villan (as opposed to 1 BB). If you bet on the come and miss, then the two of you split with a miniscule loss to the rake. Hell, if you keep betting from 5th to 7th and the villan RAISES and then you make your hand, you'll be getting more than 3 BB than him. Dont forget about the tilt you will induce when you table you hand and show him how aggressively you bet /w only a low.I am by no means a stud 8/b expert, and i think that i've found myself to be a losing player ever since i've started playing. Maybe someone can explain to me why from what i've posted?
  • 3 weeks later...
if it is heads up, ramming and jamming with a low vs an obvious very strong high hand that you cannot draw to scoop will net you no profit at showdown. But if its 3-handed, ramming and jamming will extract a SB from one of the strictly going high hands on each street assuming they c/c, amirite?If it is heads up, ramming and jamming with a low /w a scoop draw is a good thing, is it not? I mean if the two of you end up checking it down to 7th street and you make your scoop draw then and then you put in a bet, you've only managed to get 1 extra bet out of the villan. But if you picked up your low draw on 5th street and managed to bet at it and have him c/c the whole way, thats a whopping 3 BBs you get out of the villan (as opposed to 1 BB). If you bet on the come and miss, then the two of you split with a miniscule loss to the rake. Hell, if you keep betting from 5th to 7th and the villan RAISES and then you make your hand, you'll be getting more than 3 BB than him. Dont forget about the tilt you will induce when you table you hand and show him how aggressively you bet /w only a low.I am by no means a stud 8/b expert, and i think that i've found myself to be a losing player ever since i've started playing. Maybe someone can explain to me why from what i've posted?
What you posted makes perfect sense, so you are not a losing player because of that. You probably overplay low hands. Many people do.
What you posted makes perfect sense, so you are not a losing player because of that. You probably overplay low hands. Many people do.
it's tough to overplay low MADE hands unless you're not watching others' boards, but it's very possible to overplay low draws if you're not careful.
i thought the half the point of the game was to get into a situation where you have the low locked and are drawing for the high. you then get in as many bets as you can. you should also play the same way if your board looks like you are in that situation but you only have the low. you do this to get them to either fold the best high hand too much or pay off with the second best high hand too much. if the rake is bad enough where doing this is not profitable then you shouldn't be playing in that game. i dont know about stud8, but i do know of a plo8 game on the internet where the rake is so bad that you need to take it into consideration in these situations, so a stud8 game that bad might exist. it would probably be a 2/4 game which generally have the worst rake structure of limit games.

general strat question.What do you do if you have made an 8-7 low on 5th street and you are facing someone with a better low draw and another high hand? what about if you're facing a better low draw and TWO other high hands?Do you raise to try to push out the better low draw? or do you check/call to try to get the better low draw to chase and hopefully miss?If you have an 8-7 low on 5th street, do you suck too much to be playing stud 8/b?edit: and you have no scoop possibility.