This kid is amazing. In what is a horrid season for the Giants, Lincecum is 10-2 with a 2.6 ERA. He has one of the worst offenses in MLB history. I really hope to see him start the All Star game at Yankee stadium. It would be pretty sick if he did that and won the Cy Young. /thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edison volquez imo
I like Volquez but he aint no Tiny Tim. His numbers may be slightly better this year so far but by the end of the year and for the rest of their careers I think Lincecum is much better. Plus Tim is probably the most entertaining player, not just pitcher, in the majors.

All-Star starters should be Volquez and Duchsherer. They have been the best in their respective league so far. Lincecum is great and has a HUGE upside, but Volquez should be the starter imo.

All-Star starters should be Volquez and Duchsherer. They have been the best in their respective league so far. Lincecum is great and has a HUGE upside, but Volquez should be the starter imo.
The Giants effectively took Lincecum out of consideration for the start by pitching him Sunday, and Volquez started Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if Ben Sheets started.
The same reason why Duscherer won't be starting :club:
Tough loss for the A's yesterday, although Duscherer again pitched great.A caller on KNBR the other day said that he was a free agent at the end of the year - is that true? I can't believe that because one would think Beane would be shopping him now.
Tough loss for the A's yesterday, although Duscherer again pitched great.A caller on KNBR the other day said that he was a free agent at the end of the year - is that true? I can't believe that because one would think Beane would be shopping him now.
I would think the same thing, but he is in his 5th year which which would be near the end of his arbitration period. I would think that Beane would be shopping him just like he did Blanton and Harden. Maybe he's a free agent after the '09 season?Sheets and Cliff Lee were just named the starters for the All Star game.
He's arbitration eligible in 09 and can become a FA in 10. So next year would be the year that Beane tries to trade him.Did you see the Ann Killion puff piece on your favorite player, the gamer FP? She just fawns all over him for telling the truth about steroids
He's arbitration eligible in 09 and can become a FA in 10. So next year would be the year that Beane tries to trade him.Did you see the Ann Killion puff piece on your favorite player, the gamer FP? She just fawns all over him for telling the truth about steroids
TYTY Andre for bringing this up, because I couldn't decide just where I'd get a chance to post my feelings on that article. :)That article was awful; just as you said, a fluff piece somehow applauding a guy for being honest once he was caught. Radnich was talking about it today and I was almost tempted to call in and go on a FP rant but he seems to like the guy too.She calls out Tiger Woods after the US Open, yet writes a fluff piece about that cheater (who still sucked while cheating)...SIGH.
TYTY Andre for bringing this up, because I couldn't decide just where I'd get a chance to post my feelings on that article. :)That article was awful; just as you said, a fluff piece somehow applauding a guy for being honest once he was caught. Radnich was talking about it today and I was almost tempted to call in and go on a FP rant but he seems to like the guy too.She calls out Tiger Woods after the US Open, yet writes a fluff piece about that cheater (who still sucked while cheating)...SIGH.
I hate FP. He was a under achieving player that the Giants love. And he took 'roids. Most Giants fans seems to love him. asdfdfasfasdwerweaxwaebthre

General,There is a great article in a recent Sports Illustrated about Lincecum. A must read for any baseball fan.....you learn a lot about why so many pitchers blow out their arms.As far as Lincecum v. Duscherer.....I guess I would vote for Linc mostly because he has been a stud from the second he got into the majors and he has done it for a longer period. It is criminal how little attention Dusch has gotten though.....I bet most people think the Cubs got Oakland' "best" pitcher when they traded for Harden.Is it possible the A's might keep Dusch? At some point you have to take a stand and keep somebody....thats what the Marlins did with Hanley. Maybe it is better to make that stand with a position player.

General,There is a great article in a recent Sports Illustrated about Lincecum. A must read for any baseball fan.....you learn a lot about why so many pitchers blow out their arms.As far as Lincecum v. Duscherer.....I guess I would vote for Linc mostly because he has been a stud from the second he got into the majors and he has done it for a longer period. It is criminal how little attention Dusch has gotten though.....I bet most people think the Cubs got Oakland' "best" pitcher when they traded for Harden.Is it possible the A's might keep Dusch? At some point you have to take a stand and keep somebody....thats what the Marlins did with Hanley. Maybe it is better to make that stand with a position player.
Billy Beane has shown, time and time again, that he really does not believe this. He's not going to give out a monster contract that will handicap the franchise and limit his maneuverability, especially to a pitcher. He's going to get whatever value he can from Duke, or -- if he thinks his team has a chance to win a WS -- hold onto him and eat it when he signs somewhere else.Wang
Billy Beane has shown, time and time again, that he really does not believe this. He's not going to give out a monster contract that will handicap the franchise and limit his maneuverability, especially to a pitcher. He's going to get whatever value he can from Duke, or -- if he thinks his team has a chance to win a WS -- hold onto him and eat it when he signs somewhere else.Wang
With a pitcher I understand. With a positional player, I think you sign him early like FL did with Hanley, Tampa with Longoria, etc.
The word from Beane and the A's locally is that once they are in their new ballpark they will spend more money. Beane has hinted that might start even before that time in preparation - if they know they will be making money in the following years, they can start spending money prior to then.That stadium won't be ready until 2011 at the earliest though (IIRC), and who knows if ownership will keep their promises.
With a pitcher I understand. With a positional player, I think you sign him early like FL did with Hanley, Tampa with Longoria, etc.
My understanding of the Longoria deal was that it bought out -- at most -- a single free-agency year. It may have only taken him through his arb-eligible years, I dunno. They were basically just locking up club-controlled years, anyway, to save a little money in exchange for decreasing the player's risk.
The word from Beane and the A's locally is that once they are in their new ballpark they will spend more money. Beane has hinted that might start even before that time in preparation - if they know they will be making money in the following years, they can start spending money prior to then.That stadium won't be ready until 2011 at the earliest though (IIRC), and who knows if ownership will keep their promises.
It'll be a few years before Beane's allowed to increase the payroll enough to have the kind of freedom we're talking about. He simply does NOT give out contracts to non club-controlled players. The open-market is not Billy Beane's friend.
It'll be a few years before Beane's allowed to increase the payroll enough to have the kind of freedom we're talking about. He simply does NOT give out contracts to non club-controlled players. The open-market is not Billy Beane's friend.
And as a fan of a team that has signed numerous awful contracts, I tend to agree with his position. :club:
And as a fan of a team that has signed numerous awful contracts, I tend to agree with his position. :club:
In this day and age the open market is only a friend to the 4-5 teams where money isn't an issue at all.