Managing A 50$ Bankroll

Alright I've been playing poker at home games for about a year now, but have just started getting really into poker. So for the past few weeks I've been messing around, but not really getting anywhere, I've played a few cash games, but mostly I seem to be better at tournamnets, so I've been playing alot more of those. Now that I have enough time to play more than 1 or 2 games a day I want to put some effort into building a decent bankroll. But due to spending most my money on a new comp all I have right now is my origonal deposit of 50$.So with the minimum possible bankroll it seems I have 3 options..05/.10$ cash games1$+.25 9 man sit and go's (3 places paid)1$+.25 45 man sit and go's (6 places paid)I like the tournaments better, so I would rather stick with those. But I don't know if it would be just as good or better to play cash, also risking 1/5th of my bankroll on cash seems like if I hit a couple of bad runs I'm in really bad shape, and have to wait till I earn some money to start playing again =P. The 9 man sit and go's seem nice since you have a atleast a 33% chance at placing the money, and so far I get in the money on about half of them, but even so winning .50 cents for about an hour of playing... dosen't seem like a great way to build money =P.I've been playing on full tilt, and also I read something about rakeback, can someone explain that, and does it apply to the extra 25 cents you throw into a 1$ tourney? I don't really want to multitable as right now I feel I should just concentrate on one game at a time.Edit...Woot, up to $50.20 now, rolling in the dough.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with 50 back in June on pokerstars. I played nothing but tournaments. I had broke my ankle so all I could do was watch tv or play poker. The second week of my not wanted vacation I went on a tournament roll. I played in a 3 dollar buyin and got to the final table. It paid good. Then the next day I played a 5 dollar one and got there again. Then I started playing cash and won a couple hundred playing the 50/1 nl in about an hour. I had my br up to almost 500 that week. But I kept playing because I couldnt walk. So I played all the time. Nothing but tournaments after the cash session. I was playing satellites like crazy to the big Sunday tourneys and the WSOP. Well, now im back down to 50 because I had too much playing time. Play the smaller buyins like the one to three dollar tourneys and just have fun and eventually if your good enough you will hit. But do NOT overplay when you get it built up. Alot of people do that and start losing. I know from experience. You got to play what your comfortable with. I was playing if i was in the mood or not. You cant do that. Thats just my take anyone else have ideas

The 1$ tourneys with 45 ppl are just frustrating, everybody goes all in with any ace and its all too random. With 9 ppl you have a better chance of getting some relatively ok play. WIth my 50$ bankroll I played 5$ 27ppl SnG, but I got fed up with the constant suck outs and very poor play there. Now I can afford 10$ SnG that are challenging and fun. There are still wackos, but I think they exist at every level. AST 10$ the quality of play is way better than at 5$.

The 1$ tourneys with 45 ppl are just frustrating, everybody goes all in with any ace and its all too random. With 9 ppl you have a better chance of getting some relatively ok play. WIth my 50$ bankroll I played 5$ 27ppl SnG, but I got fed up with the constant suck outs and very poor play there. Now I can afford 10$ SnG that are challenging and fun. There are still wackos, but I think they exist at every level. AST 10$ the quality of play is way better than at 5$.
Ummm...Poor play is a GOOD thing. As a matter of fact, it's the BEST thing for a poker player.I don't mean to be rude, but you need to understand how/why some players make money at poker.It's by playing against bad players, not looking for games where the quality of play is better.- Zach
Alright I've been playing poker at home games for about a year now, but have just started getting really into poker. So for the past few weeks I've been messing around, but not really getting anywhere, I've played a few cash games, but mostly I seem to be better at tournamnets, so I've been playing alot more of those. Now that I have enough time to play more than 1 or 2 games a day I want to put some effort into building a decent bankroll. But due to spending most my money on a new comp all I have right now is my origonal deposit of 50$.So with the minimum possible bankroll it seems I have 3 options..05/.10$ cash games1$+.25 9 man sit and go's (3 places paid)1$+.25 45 man sit and go's (6 places paid)I like the tournaments better, so I would rather stick with those. But I don't know if it would be just as good or better to play cash, also risking 1/5th of my bankroll on cash seems like if I hit a couple of bad runs I'm in really bad shape, and have to wait till I earn some money to start playing again =P. The 9 man sit and go's seem nice since you have a atleast a 33% chance at placing the money, and so far I get in the money on about half of them, but even so winning .50 cents for about an hour of playing... dosen't seem like a great way to build money =P.I've been playing on full tilt, and also I read something about rakeback, can someone explain that, and does it apply to the extra 25 cents you throw into a 1$ tourney? I don't really want to multitable as right now I feel I should just concentrate on one game at a time.Edit...Woot, up to $50.20 now, rolling in the dough.
tiny buy-in sit and gos anre not the way to go. I recommend you play som .10-.25 cent pot limit or no limit holdem and slowly build your bankroll up that way. Then after you get past 100 or so, play higher buy-in sit and gos. And if u bomb out at the sit and gos, then go back to 25 cent live play and build the bankroll back up and so on.But dollar sit and gos arent worth the time and effort. I speak from over 10 years of experience.....good luck to ya.
tiny buy-in sit and gos anre not the way to go. I recommend you play som .10-.25 cent pot limit or no limit holdem and slowly build your bankroll up that way. Then after you get past 100 or so, play higher buy-in sit and gos. And if u bomb out at the sit and gos, then go back to 25 cent live play and build the bankroll back up and so on.But dollar sit and gos arent worth the time and effort. I speak from over 10 years of experience.....good luck to ya.
This is bad advice. .10/.25 PL/NL tables usually have a max buy-in of $25. So, that gives him two buy-ins. With ten years of experience, you would think that you would know a little more about bankroll management. Though the juice is pretty high on the $1 sng's, they will help you gete acclimated to online poker. Other than that, Stars does have .01/.02 NL, with a max buy-in of $5. The play is horrible, but do a search for the Smash strategy. It kills at micro limits, really. Last summer I turned $25 into $150 playing micro limit nlhe on UB.
No offense, but until you understand the concept of bankroll management, you should really stop trying to give advice.Seriously. This advice disgusts me.- Zach
This is bad advice. .10/.25 PL/NL tables usually have a max buy-in of $25. So, that gives him two buy-ins. With ten years of experience, you would think that you would know a little more about bankroll management. Though the juice is pretty high on the $1 sng's, they will help you gete acclimated to online poker. Other than that, Stars does have .01/.02 NL, with a max buy-in of $5. The play is horrible, but do a search for the Smash strategy. It kills at micro limits, really. Last summer I turned $25 into $150 playing micro limit nlhe on UB.
Just because the max buy-in is $25, doesn't mean you have to put $25 down. With a limited $50 bankroll, $5 is enough to get into the game and try and make some money. No need to buy-in for the max with a tiny bankroll. My point here is to make money and at the same time risk little. So this is a good time to play short stacked and double off the big stacks just like a tournament.
Just because the max buy-in is $25, doesn't mean you have to put $25 down. With a limited $50 bankroll, $5 is enough to get into the game and try and make some money. No need to buy-in for the max with a tiny bankroll. My point here is to make money and at the same time risk little. So this is a good time to play short stacked and double off the big stacks just like a tournament.
I still vehemently disagree.
No offense, but until you understand the concept of bankroll management, you should really stop trying to give advice.Seriously. This advice disgusts me.- Zach
once again, then enlighten us with ur own words.
once again, then enlighten us with ur own words.
I'm not wasting my time on you.ChrisRichey explained pretty well why playing $25 NL on a $50 bankroll is a bad idea.If you don't understand that after "10 years of experience", then you never will.
I'm not wasting my time on you.ChrisRichey explained pretty well why playing $25 NL on a $50 bankroll is a bad idea.If you don't understand that after "10 years of experience", then you never will.
my impression of u is that u are barely old enough to drink. you offer no advice, just criticize others......ur worth is limited.
my impression of u is that u are barely old enough to drink. you offer no advice, just criticize others......ur worth is limited.
Hi.Try reading any of my posts.Good luck.Edit - For someone commenting on my potential age, you really make yourself look like a mature individual in the way you use proper english and correct spelling. Well done.

I still don't really understand, I'm getting alot of mixxed advice ><. I've played some more sit and go's, and I've gotten alot better at the 9 man sit and go's, the main thing is that people are kind of reckless at the begining, trying to see alot of pots for cheap, so just holding back will keep me from getting knocked out then. But as people get to like 5 people then people get REALLY timid, as in folding to the minimum bet on a pot that is 10x the minimum bet. The only problem though is that it is turbo, and people act kind of slow in it, so on average it's about 5 hands per level, so playing tight at the begining can be really though to make it to about 5th or 6th where I can switch to aggresive. Also the risk/reward ration seems good in these, I place in more than half of them, so I'm slowly gaining money, but 3rd is a gain of 55 cents, and first is a gain of $3.25, for about an hour of play I could build a better bankroll at McDonalds =P.

I could build a better bankroll at McDonalds =P.
That's not a bad idea.Serious there are only a few reasons to play at low limits:- just for fun- you want to learn the game- you want to get comfortable with the softwareIf you want to make money you can't do it at the low limits. It's far easier to get a real job and add to the poker bankroll than to build up from $50 to something meaningful.That said, go to pokersourceonline and do the $100 instant bankroll thing at Party Poker. Double your bankroll in an instant. :club:
I still don't really understand, I'm getting alot of mixxed advice ><. I've played some more sit and go's, and I've gotten alot better at the 9 man sit and go's, the main thing is that people are kind of reckless at the begining, trying to see alot of pots for cheap, so just holding back will keep me from getting knocked out then. But as people get to like 5 people then people get REALLY timid, as in folding to the minimum bet on a pot that is 10x the minimum bet. The only problem though is that it is turbo, and people act kind of slow in it, so on average it's about 5 hands per level, so playing tight at the begining can be really though to make it to about 5th or 6th where I can switch to aggresive. Also the risk/reward ration seems good in these, I place in more than half of them, so I'm slowly gaining money, but 3rd is a gain of 55 cents, and first is a gain of $3.25, for about an hour of play I could build a better bankroll at McDonalds =P.
It's very true that you could probably make more at a minimum wage job that playing the micros, however, consider the experience, etc you build up.It takes a lot of dedication to the game of poker to try and build up from small levels. It shows that you want to learn the game from the bottom up. That's very admirable.In terms of what I think you should do with a $50 bankroll, it really depends.I'm really not thrilled about the 25% juice on those SNG's. If you are really set on playing SNG's, I would recommend finding a different site. For example, Ultimate Bet as $1.00+0.10 10-man SNG's, as well as several multi table SNG's for the same price.As far as SNG's go, you should have between 20-30 buyins (including the entry fee), so the $50 would be quite a large bankroll for $1.10 SNG's, and there is no medium on most sites. Some sites offer $3+.40 SNG's (Stars), but you would need about $70 to play those properly.Another thing, with Turbos, the fast blind structure takes a lot of the skill out of the game, and really makes it a bit of a crapshoot when you get to 5 handed. The normal SNG's will be easier for a good player to beat, IMO. Some can play the turbos, but you will find the variance to be higher.************My suggestion is to try cash games for a while.If you prefer no limit, then play the $0.01/$0.02 blind, $5 max buy-in NL tables. You have 10 buyins for that, you should really have about 15-20, but the play is so bad that if you are a good player, you'll be able to handle a bit of a short roll on those games.OR, if you prefer limit, then, with $50, you could play the 0.10/0.20 full ring limit games, with a roll of 250 big bets. You should have about 300 bets or so as a bankroll to properly play LHE.************The most important thing, in my opinion, and experience, is that when you do pick a game, visit it's strategy forum here and post hands, ask questions, etc. Don't be afraid to look stupid, we've all been there. We all started with that $50 bankroll at one point. Most of us were stupid and went broke with it many many times (ok, maybe that's just my life story), but you've taken the first great step towards playing good poker, and that's inquiring about bankroll management.Best of luck to you, and like I said, please ask as many questions as you want. If not, I'll be bored :club:.- Zach
Zach has helped a lot of people on this forum, including me. If you look in the strat sections, he is one of the more frequent posters. His advice is always good, and he usually explains himself. This helps others learn. Compare that to your advice. Playing at a limit with only two full buyins is a sure way to go broke. I, sure as hell, woudn't advocate that.

Ok, so I'm going to play around with other sites, the 25% extra on full tilt seemed a bit step so if I can get a better game on Ultimate Bet for cheaper than =P.Oh, and the McDonalds thing, was more sarcrastic than serious, and the fact that I played for 7 hours with a gain of .20 cents =P. of caurse I droped down to 42 when I was still first playing the sit and go's, and learning the format. Atleast I'm in the green =P.Thansk for your help, and also, not that I'm going to attempt it right now, since I don't have enough confidence in my playing, what are the levels of play that you have to start playing before making minimum wage per hour is a forceable goal?Edit...And also I don't really want to try limit, or any other games until I am confident in my NLHE playing, I tried messing around with the other games on play money (and I've played Stud Live, without much luck), but I just don't get limit hold em, without being able to bet a percentage of the pot it seems MUCH harder to read people, and all I was doing is with a safe board and a decent hand, raise, with a unsafe board and a decent hand call, and with no hand fold, bluffing really didn't seem worth it becuase the pot odds are usualy going to be enough for them to justify a call.Edit...One of the reasons I picked full tilt was the avatars, and the player notes, which made it MUCH easier to get a good read on people, on other sites it seems to hard to remeber who is who, I doubt that is worth 15 cents per sit and go, but it was definatly helpful.Edit...And can someone explain rakeback, if that applies to sit and go's, and if I can add it retroactivly to my full tilt account? Also how do you get the 100% deposit bonus?

Ok, so I'm going to play around with other sites, the 25% extra on full tilt seemed a bit step so if I can get a better game on Ultimate Bet for cheaper than =P.Oh, and the McDonalds thing, was more sarcrastic than serious, and the fact that I played for 7 hours with a gain of .20 cents =P. of caurse I droped down to 42 when I was still first playing the sit and go's, and learning the format. Atleast I'm in the green =P.Thansk for your help, and also, not that I'm going to attempt it right now, since I don't have enough confidence in my playing, what are the levels of play that you have to start playing before making minimum wage per hour is a forceable goal?Edit...And also I don't really want to try limit, or any other games until I am confident in my NLHE playing, I tried messing around with the other games on play money (and I've played Stud Live, without much luck), but I just don't get limit hold em, without being able to bet a percentage of the pot it seems MUCH harder to read people, and all I was doing is with a safe board and a decent hand, raise, with a unsafe board and a decent hand call, and with no hand fold, bluffing really didn't seem worth it becuase the pot odds are usualy going to be enough for them to justify a call.
Well, earning $xx/hour depends on what your winrate is, how many tables you can play at the same time, etc.I usually play between 2-4 tables, so for an example, I looked through my PokerTracker stats, and found that over 20,000 hands of 1/2 limit, both full and short handed, I've made $4.10/hour running at 1.6 BB/100.My NL example is a bit of a stretch, since my sample is way too small, but I'll put it out there anyways:Over 6,404 hands, running at a winrate of 15.04 ptbb/100 (not sustainable over the long term), at the levels of 25NL (936 hands), 50NL (2287), and 100NL (2919), I'm making $27.83/hour. Let me reiterate that my sample size is way too small, and I'm definitely just running really well, and that I will NOT sustain those numbers. I'd expect that number to probably cut in half in the long run, but I'm not 100% sure what is sustainable in terms of NL winrates, since I just started playing NL cash last week, but I'd be extremely happy to sustain a wr of 8-10 ptbb/100.So, either way, take those as a bit of a guideline, for now. You'll pretty much have to develop your own decision with respect to that as you learn your winrate, multitable ability, etc.********With respect to your edit.It's a good idea to focus on one game at a time, IMO.Don't disregard limit later on, however. It's a completely different game from NL, and that's why a lot of NL players don't understand it, but it's a great game to help develop the tools needed to crush the NL game, and pretty much any other game, as well as developping the mathematical side of the game, which is just as important in NL.Good luck.- ZachEDIT - I also recommend, if you are playing with any degree of seriousness, and it sounds as if you want to, since you are asking about potential hourly rates, you should really drop by http://www.pokertracker.com and seriously consider buying that as you move up in limits, or by clearing a bonus through http://pokersourceonline.com/ and getting it for free.

Ok thanks, and I do plan on playing serious, but just wondering the hourly rate just out of curiousity now, I'm not expecting to make any kind of large profit at this point, as long as I'm not lossing money I'm happy =P.But what about rakeback, I just signed up for ultimatebet with it (rakebreak.com), but can I retroactivly add it to fulltilt? Also do I get money back from the extra 10 or 25 cents on sit and go's?

Ok thanks, and I do plan on playing serious, but just wondering the hourly rate just out of curiousity now, I'm not expecting to make any kind of large profit at this point, as long as I'm not lossing money I'm happy =P.But what about rakeback, I just signed up for ultimatebet with it (rakebreak.com), but can I retroactivly add it to fulltilt? Also do I get money back from the extra 10 or 25 cents on sit and go's?
Most rakeback is for new accounts, although I've heard FT give some retroactively. Not 100% sure though, as I don't play there.As far as tourney fees, generally they are included, but it depends on the rakeback provider.- Zach
Most rakeback is for new accounts, although I've heard FT give some retroactively. Not 100% sure though, as I don't play there.As far as tourney fees, generally they are included, but it depends on the rakeback provider.- Zach
Oh well if anyone knows if that could be added retroactivly it would be a big help, if not I might just make a new account, becuase it seems worth it. I owuld have over .50 cents extra so far, seems like it would add up enough over time =P.

I just made a new account when I decided to go back to FT. The McDonald's thing isn't a bad idea really. Once you progress in your game, it would be nice to be able to add a little to your bankroll. Not saying you need to bust your hump at a fast-food resturaunt, but a part-time job would help the BR and give you a little money to spend. Good luck, and when you get going, don't forget to post hand histories in the micro limit strat forum for analysis/advice.