Jump to content


The Coen Brothers Thread


  • Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

So at the urging of BigMcGee I bumped Barton Fink to the top of my netflix queue and I have to say I really liked it. That being said, I really don't understand how it swept the awards at Cannes. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's amazing. Were Charlie and Barton the same person? Was the hotel hell? Or was it just the floor they lived on? (666) Maybe hell was just Charlie's room and Charlie was the devil. The President of the film company was really good. All the performances were really good. But I didn't think the story was even close to as good as The Hudsucker Proxy or No Country For Old Men, and Hudsucker didn't win anything at Cannes in 1994. Sure, it was up against Pulp Fiction for the Golden Palm, but I mean... COME ON! It didn't win anything! Last year, same thing for No Country.... no wins at Cannes. What do Europeans love about Barton Fink that they didn't understand about The Hudsucker Proxy or No Country For Old Men?Does anyone else have any thoughts on Barton Fink?Here are my list of Coen Brothers movies in the order that I love them....1. No Country For Old Men2. The Hudsucker Proxy3. The Big Lebowski4. Raising Arizona5. Fargo6. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?7. Barton Fink8. The Man Who Wasn't There9. The Lady Killers10. Intolerable CrueltyI just receiving Miller's Crossing today, and I'll be watching it for the first time tomorrow, so this list may change. I also haven't seen Blood Simple, but it's saved in my netflix queue.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#2 qyayqi

qyayqi

    ketchup is murder.

  • Members
  • 5,676 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:regina

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:34 AM

i think you'll enjoy blood simple. that's all i've got, man. sorry.
qyayqi
railing 101 video

crush their dreams like aluminum cans.
then take them in for recycling.
5 cents a dream, man.

#3 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

This is probably the order that I love them, but so many of them are so good it's hard to choose.1. The Big Lebowski2. Fargo3. Raising Arizona4. Barton Fink5. O Brother Where Art Thou?6. No Country For Old Men (I should probably see this again)7. Hudsucker Proxy (I am gonna watch this again)8. Miller's Crossing9. Blood Simple (you should see this, it is awesome)10. The Man Who Wasn't There
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#4 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,692 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

Big LebowskiNo Country Miller's CrossingHudsucker ProxyFargoBarton FinkOh brotherRaising ArizonaThe man that wasn't thereLady KillersBlood SimpleIntolerable Cruelty. Intolerable Cruelty is a better movie than the best of what 90 percent of dirrectors have put out, btw. I think Big through Fargo are on another plane of good, and Barton through arizona are still really really good. the last four are good, but not mind blowingly good. I am really happy they put out "No country" because it has seemed like to me that they peaked at Fargo, and were trending downward. Me and Brave disagree alot about movies, but we both agree Hudsucker is the most underrated movie of all time. It's outstanding..
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#5 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on Barton Fink? What was happening? What's the underlying story?

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#6 lvpro

lvpro

    GMZ

  • Members
  • 10,887 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot Limit HOBO (Holdem, Omaha Hi, Badugi, Omaha/8)

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

Burn After ReadingThoughts?

#7 Mercury69

Mercury69

    Half man! Half man!

  • Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pftph!
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

I ain't done nothin' funny, RayMy favs:No Country For Old MenBlood SimpleFargoMiller's CrossingBig LebowskiRaising ArizonaBarton FinkO Brother...
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#8 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

    'Skatez

  • Members
  • 12,839 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

FargoBig LebowskiNo CountryMiller's CrossingBarton FinkO' BrotherHudsucker ProxyThe Man that Wasn't ThereBlood SimpleRaising ArizonaLady KillersIntolerable Cruelty

#9 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

View Postlvpro, on Sunday, June 1st, 2008, 3:41 PM, said:

The cast is one in a million....Brad PittGeorge ClooneyTilda SwintonJohn MalkovichFrances McDormand The "Sledge Hammer" dude (David Rasche)The R rated trailer ... here.... makes it look totally awesome.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#10 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

    'Skatez

  • Members
  • 12,839 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

View Postlvpro, on Sunday, June 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM, said:

'Bout it. I'll be there, erection in hand.

#11 pockets

pockets

    Testicles

  • Members
  • 1,122 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:here

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

Miller's CrossingBig LebowskiNo CountryFargoBarton FinkBlood SimpleOh Brother Where Art ThouRaising ArizonaHudsucker ProxyThe man that wasn't thereIntolerable Cruelty. I never was a big fan of Hudsucker, and I never got around to seeing The Ladykillers.
Erick Lindgren: (4:26 PM ET ) I think most men at some point hit on Clonie Gowen.

"Besides the pitching, the other X-factor is the hitting."
-Joe Morgan

#12 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Location:Motown
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

I'll play:1. Blood Simple2. Fargo3. Raising Arizona4. Miller's Crossing5. No Country6. Barton Fink7. Big Lebowski8. The Man who Wasn't there9. Oh Brother10. Hudsucker11. Intolerable CrueltyHaven't seen Lady KillersThe Top Five are awesome Films. The next five were average. And Intolerable Cruelty was painful to watch. Clooney's two worst movies have been Coen effortsI have never understood why they cast Jon Polito in so many of their movies - he always comes across as a cartoonish actor. Sort of a poor man's Danny DeVito

#13 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:13 AM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Monday, June 2nd, 2008, 9:50 AM, said:

I'll play:1. Blood Simple2. Fargo3. Raising Arizona4. Miller's Crossing5. No Country6. Barton Fink7. Big Lebowski8. The Man who Wasn't there9. Oh Brother10. Hudsucker11. Intolerable CrueltyHaven't seen Lady KillersThe Top Five are awesome Films. The next five were average. And Intolerable Cruelty was painful to watch. Clooney's two worst movies have been Coen effortsI have never understood why they cast Jon Polito in so many of their movies - he always comes across as a cartoonish actor. Sort of a poor man's Danny DeVito
I obviously disagree with you on Hudsucker being so low, but to say that the Big Lebowski is just 'average' is ridiculous.What do you think is an excellent comedy?

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#14 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Location:Motown
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

View Postbrvheart, on Monday, June 2nd, 2008, 8:13 AM, said:

I obviously disagree with you on Hudsucker being so low, but to say that the Big Lebowski is just 'average' is ridiculous.What do you think is an excellent comedy?
Well.Just from the Coen list I'd say Raising Arizona and Fargo (I consider this to be dark comedy)Also, in no particular order just off the top of my head...Kung Fu HustleBlues BrothersButch Cassidy and the Sundance KidThe Graduate40 Year Old VirginKing PinPrincess BrideYoung FrankensteinSpinal TapLots of stuff from Woody Allen and more Mel BrooksMonty Python stuff especially A Fish Called Wanda

#15 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Monday, June 2nd, 2008, 1:13 PM, said:

Well.Just from the Coen list I'd say Raising Arizona and Fargo (I consider this to be dark comedy)Also, in no particular order just off the top of my head...Kung Fu HustleBlues BrothersButch Cassidy and the Sundance KidThe Graduate40 Year Old VirginKing PinPrincess BrideYoung FrankensteinSpinal TapLots of stuff from Woody Allen and more Mel BrooksMonty Python stuff especially A Fish Called Wanda
Comedy? It's a fantastic movie, but it's definitely not a comedy. Kudos though for mentioning the Blues Brothers.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#16 lvpro

lvpro

    GMZ

  • Members
  • 10,887 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot Limit HOBO (Holdem, Omaha Hi, Badugi, Omaha/8)

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Sunday, June 1st, 2008, 8:34 PM, said:

The cast is one in a million....Brad PittGeorge ClooneyTilda SwintonJohn MalkovichFrances McDormand The "Sledge Hammer" dude (David Rasche)The R rated trailer ... here.... makes it look totally awesome.
Ooh, I didn't know there was a trailer yet. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

#17 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

View Postlvpro, on Monday, June 2nd, 2008, 5:19 PM, said:

Ooh, I didn't know there was a trailer yet. I'll have to check that out when I get home.
It looks very funny.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#18 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,692 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Monday, June 2nd, 2008, 9:13 AM, said:

Well.Just from the Coen list I'd say Raising Arizona and Fargo (I consider this to be dark comedy)Also, in no particular order just off the top of my head...Kung Fu Hustle LOLBlues Brothers LOLButch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Interesting choice, not really a comedy The Graduate Can't really argue with this, it becomes a matter of taste...40 Year Old Virgin lolKing Pin lolPrincess Bride cute but LOLYoung Frankenstein funny movie, but no where close to the film that big and hud areSpinal Tap apples and orangesLots of stuff from Woody Allen and more Mel Brooks annie hall and Manhattan are the only movies I'd even consider in the argument by these two Monty Python stuff especially A Fish Called Wanda Monty python is hilarious, but Coen's make more ambitious and better films than the Monty Python. another apples and oranges really.
The one's I laughed at I don't think are worth comparing to the Big Lebowski and Hudsucker. I would argue that Hudsucker and the Big Lebowski aren't pure comedys. While they do go for laughs ,they also aspire to be much more. King pin aspires to do nothing but make you laugh. Spinal Tap is brilliant in a whole other way, it was an amazing, ground breaking comedy, it's hard to compare them.It's hard for me to even express why "The Hudsucker proxy" is so smart, funny, beautiful and brilliant. It just doesn't seem the same genre, the same zip code of movie that the 40 year old virgin is.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#19 brvheart

brvheart

    I'm the best.

  • Members
  • 25,354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toyko, Japan
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Monday, June 2nd, 2008, 4:45 PM, said:

The one's I laughed at I don't think are worth comparing to the Big Lebowski and Hudsucker. I would argue that Hudsucker and the Big Lebowski aren't pure comedys. While they do go for laughs ,they also aspire to be much more. King pin aspires to do nothing but make you laugh. Spinal Tap is brilliant in a whole other way, it was an amazing, ground breaking comedy, it's hard to compare them.It's hard for me to even express why "The Hudsucker proxy" is so smart, funny, beautiful and brilliant. It just doesn't seem the same genre, the same zip code of movie that the 40 year old virgin is.
I'm not even going to do a rundown like you did. I just can't believe that he thinks that "The Big Lewbowski" is comparable to an 85-99 IQ. I simply don't understand how anyone could think it was ... just average.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

.

#20 Pot Odds RAC

Pot Odds RAC

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 7,172 posts
  • Location:Motown
  • Favorite Poker Game:Live NL TxHE

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Monday, June 2nd, 2008, 2:54 PM, said:

I'm not even going to do a rundown like you did. I just can't believe that he thinks that "The Big Lewbowski" is comparable to an 85-99 IQ. I simply don't understand how anyone could think it was ... just average.
Geez. Don't take it so personally - I don't like a movie you happen to love. Lebowski just didn't do it for me. Guys pissing on the floor has never been real high on my comedy scale.Always nice to see Julianne Moore neekid though.As far as Hudsucker... I'm not much of a Tim Robbins fan. Liked him in "The Player" and seeing him get the crap beat out of him (even if just in a fantasy sequence) in "High Fidelity" was a high moment of cinema for me. I liked the "feel" of Hudsucker, reminded me a little of the movie "Brazil" for some reason.I don't like Tim Burton movies either. They seem to be trying to be partly social commentary, part fantasy, and part off beat dark comedy, and just miss on each measure for me - that was how Hudsucker left me feeling....but hey lots of people seem to love Lebowski, not trying to talk you out of it, I just didn't dig the flick.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users