Tourney Etiquette Question

Last week I was playing in a club tournament. A player called another players river bet. The original bettor showed one of his hole cards (4s that gave him a pair), which was obviously enough to beat the caller as he mucked his cards. The original bettor then went to muck his cards.As this guy had raised a significant amount preflop I wondered what his other card was and asked him to show it. He claimed that since his one card on its own was enough to win the pot he was not obligated to show the other. I claimed that his bet had been called and the table was entitled to see his hole cards.Responses from Hoyle appreciated.

Last week I was playing in a club tournament. A player called another players river bet. The original bettor showed one of his hole cards (4s that gave him a pair), which was obviously enough to beat the caller as he mucked his cards. The original bettor then went to muck his cards.As this guy had raised a significant amount preflop I wondered what his other card was and asked him to show it. He claimed that since his one card on its own was enough to win the pot he was not obligated to show the other. I claimed that his bet had been called and the table was entitled to see his hole cards.Responses from Hoyle appreciated.
If a hand is called it is required to show both hole cards. If a player bets and everyone folds that player is allowed to show one, two or no cards at his discretion. Here is a link to prove the latter. http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15532
At The Bicycle and Commerce you have to show both cards no matter what, tourney's or cash games.
A skilled dealer should ALWAYS require both cards be shown before awarding the pot.If they can remember while following their sports bets that is. :club:
A skilled dealer should ALWAYS require both cards be shown before awarding the pot.
There are not that many skilled dealers.
If a player bets and everyone folds that player is allowed to show one, two or no cards at his discretion. Here is a link to prove the latter. http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15532
There's a "needling" rule used in all WSOP, WSOP circuit, and WPT tournaments that allows for a player to ask that the other card is shown if a winning player just shows one card when no one calls his bet.I haven't read the info on the above link, but the above link doesn't prove anything.

Two cards must be shown however if the other guy mucks upon seeing one card then he wins since he's the only player with cards anyways...seems reasonable? I personally just hold onto my cards till they show both.

Exactly, the player mucked, the other player didn't have to show anything else.Which is why I always just call and then sit there until the other person shows BOTH his/her cards. If he shows one, I say, "and what's your kicker". You paid to see both cards. Don't muck until you do.

• 5 months later...

In Daniel's 01/23/07 blog:

One thing I'm not a fan of, I believe it's a recent addition to rules at both the Bellagio and here, is the rule where if you show one card the dealer is obligated to show both of your cards. That is a terrible rule and interferes with the psychology of the game unnecessarily.

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-jour...&ucat=&

The bettor is slowing things down unnecessarily. Just show the ***** down.The caller doesn't have to muck until he sees both cards, but he did.You have a right to see the hand because of the threat of collusion. Don't abuse that privilege for information.

In Daniel's 01/23/07 blog:

One thing I'm not a fan of, I believe it's a recent addition to rules at both the Bellagio and here, is the rule where if you show one card the dealer is obligated to show both of your cards. That is a terrible rule and interferes with the psychology of the game unnecessarily.

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-jour...&ucat=&

this probably stem from all the idiots who thought the 'show one, show all' rule, meant this

i think that daniel was referring to someone showing one card when uncalled. ex. player A bets, player B folds, player A shows one card intending to have some sort of effect on the other player, and then dealer shows the player B the other, previously unshown card.

i think that daniel was referring to someone showing one card when uncalled. ex. player A bets, player B folds, player A shows one card intending to have some sort of effect on the other player, and then dealer shows the player B the other, previously unshown card.
Yes.
this probably stem from all the idiots who thought the 'show one, show all' rule, meant this
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...t&p=1338324