• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 oldadmin

oldadmin

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:41 AM

Posted ImageTournament Accomplishments: Seven WSOP Cashes (in limited play)Three WSOP Final Tables in 2004Was on four different networks in the same day at four different final tablesThree WPT Final Tables One WPT Win at the Bellagio Five Diamond Classic in 200315th on WPT All-Time Money List47th on All-Time Money ListTotal Tournament Earnings: $2,225,860Cash Game Accomplishments: Doesn't spend much time in the cash games but when he does he is usually one of the best players at the table whether his peers think so or not. He doesn't play cash games for the money, which can often lead to having too much fun at the tables which could be costly. Paul is very dangerous if he wants to be, while much less threatening if he isn't taking the game seriously.Best Game: No Limit Hold'em. I could be wrong here but I think it's very close between pot and no limit hold'em. I chose no limit hold'em because Paul is very active before the flop and the antes in no limit definitely help him.Worst Game: I really don't know, so many to choose from! Just kidding really, but I haven't played enough with Paul to have an educated opinion, so I'll just go with Razz! Strengths: At heart Paul is a "math guy" but his application of his knowledge is excellent. He has a great understanding of the game and his fundamentals are close to flawless.Weaknesses: Predictability. Paul's greatest strength could also be deemed his biggest weakness in a sense. His approach often lends itself to patterns that are exploitable by some of the other top players in the game.Cash Games: 5Tournaments: 7.5Emotional Stability: 7.5 Heart: 7 Short Handed: 6.5 Ring Game: 8.5 No Limit Hold'em: 7.5Other Notes: Paul is one of the most underrated player in the game today. It would be difficult to come up with 12 to 15 names that have had more success in tournament poker than Paul despite the fact that he plays a limited schedule. Times have changed for Paul as he recently was married, and followed that up with his first child. As a father to a newborn, that has limited the amount of time Paul can spend at the tables. His priorities appear to be in order.Paul is also one of the most outspoken players on the tour with high moral values. If he doesn't like something that is going on in the poker world he'll say so and then back it up with his feet. Paul could be instrumental in poker's growth with his combination of business savvy, poker skills, and outspoken nature.

#2 Absolute

Absolute

The Greatest

• Members
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:11 AM

Paul Phillips owns.
i saw him at the riverbank. he was breaking bread and giving thanks. with crosses made of pipes and planks. leaned up against the nitrous tanks.
he said take a hit. hold your breath and i'll dunk your head. then when you wake up, you'll be high as hell and born again.

- The Hold Steady

#3 Wingmaster05

Wingmaster05

throbbing member

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • Interests:GOLF, reading, poker

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

officially, the man

#4 emineric

emineric

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:59 AM

what the heck does this mean: "Expect Paul to continue to play only in select events this year as he awaits the birth of his first child. While that will be a key reason for Paul taking time away from poker this year it's not the only reason. "and if he's one of the top tournament players right now how come only a 7.5 rating? daniel rants about him being so underrated and then proceeds to, well, underrate him.

#5 DougieG

DougieG

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Baseball, Movies

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

Definately a HUGE Paul Phillips fan. If yall didn't know about it, the dude has a Live journal. Here's the link, www.extempore.livejournal.com Unfortunately he won't be playin in many events this year at the WSOP, there goes my squad, had him at number 1. If you check out his blog he's really into other stuff and only plays poker for the competition. He also provides insights on other stuff like add ons for TiVo and things like that. It's pretty chill. Definately one of my favorite poker personalities.

#6 THIR13EN

THIR13EN

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Poker.....?

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:32 PM

Does anyone know how much money Paul got for his internet company?

#7 Dweebles

Dweebles

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Website Devolopment, Graphic Design, Squash

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:14 PM

WPT episode they say he sold it for $4 billion, probably before transaction fees, tax and other costs. He might have had partners too but i dont know much about that.

#8 GoldenTee

GoldenTee

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:poker, baseball

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:14 AM

What the heck was he thinking here!?Posted Image

#9 LeeStillman

LeeStillman

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:12 AM

LoL I dunno, but that's a hilarious look. :club:
"You call this one and it's all over, baby."

#10 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:48 AM

Last updated Oct 29th, 2005.
Posted Image

#11 Longshanks

Longshanks

what the duece is this?

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
  • Interests:History, Politics

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

this guy really went off on the 2+2 forums

#12 socalpoker_j

socalpoker_j

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

I think Paul does well to represent the intellectual side of poker. His approach to the game and theory are just phenomenal. I dont agree with his religious convictions, but what he posts on his journal are thought provoking/challenging ideas.

#13 Canary3

Canary3

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:short handed pot limit omaha

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

who cares if you agree with his religious convictions...... as far as i know from reading his journal... he doesnt have any religious convictions... anyways paul is great and very very smart!

#14 pokerbully

pokerbully

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:52 PM

View PostTHIR13EN, on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005, 7:32 PM, said:

Does anyone know how much money Paul got for his internet company?
The company sold for $4 Billion???? Even if that number is true, do you think he was the sole owner of the company?If he was anywhere close to worth a billion dollars he would be showing up on the Forbes list, which he has not.

#15 canadapoker5

canadapoker5

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold`em

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

Personally paul is a player that I do not know much about but seems to be someone that has his priorities in order at least.

#16 Swift_Psycho

Swift_Psycho

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

This guy still play tournaments at all?

#17 Canary3

Canary3

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

View PostSwift_Psycho, on Saturday, November 29th, 2008, 9:22 PM, said:

This guy still play tournaments at all?
Nope, doesnt play poker anymore at all.
You can get free stuff just for signing up for an online poker room http://www.pokersource.com/?rc=whatsupma3

#18 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

'Skatez

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

He does, however, still occasionally blog about how cutely he thinks his kids behave, or cynically about politics. It's not really as interesting as it was when he was having sex parties and hacking cable modems. It's not even as interesting as when he was posting disgustedly every time Phil Hullmuth said or did something hilarious. I'm not really even sure why I still have it bookmarked.

#19 Canary3

Canary3

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostDirtydutch, on Tuesday, December 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM, said:

He does, however, still occasionally blog about how cutely he thinks his kids behave, or cynically about politics. It's not really as interesting as it was when he was having sex parties and hacking cable modems. It's not even as interesting as when he was posting disgustedly every time Phil Hullmuth said or did something hilarious. I'm not really even sure why I still have it bookmarked.
I used to be a regular reader of his blog but it seems he doesnt really do anything interesting anymore. He is one bright guy though!
You can get free stuff just for signing up for an online poker room http://www.pokersource.com/?rc=whatsupma3

#20 Tencents71

Tencents71

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Heads-Up NL Hold'em Tournaments

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

It must be nice to have enough money to be able to do nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users