Just a few hours away and I'm not sure what to expect. A few thoughts at what I think might transpire:-Obama will try and play it relatively safe.-McCain will look to focus on raising doubts about Obama's patriotism and his connection to Bill Ayers.-Someone will ask Obama about abortion and his answer will raise concerns with social conservatives.-Obama will try to raise doubt about McCain's past and his involvement with the whole Keating deal.-Obama will repeat, again and again, that the majority of the middle class will see a tax cut, not a raise in taxes.-McCain will respond by bringing up some type of statistic showing that Obama will vote for tax increases.-Obama will win the debate on the economy and McCain will look to try and break even here. He's obviously got a tough hill to climb being a member of the party in power when it comes to this subject.-Obama will offer his 4 point plan on the economy.-McCain will respond by saying we need to cut pork barrel spending and that Obama has been a pig in that area while in Chicago. He will avoid coming up with a plan as to how he will do that, and the pundits will bring that up after the debate.-Obama will point out that McCain's campaign is full of lobbyists. With McCain behind in the polls, this debate could go nasty. He may be looking for a game changer and I think they will look attack Obama's perceived weak spot, in terms of his affiliations with questionable people. Obama will smear him back, while at the same time claiming that McCain is the only one trying to play political games of the past. Has the potential to be jaw dropping, I think, but it could also fall flat as the first two debates have.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love this to get into the gutter, we need some fun in this election.But I seriously doubt it will, it will be boring and Obama will win by default.

I think I'm overdosed. Tough week @ work. Election looks like the Momentum is with Obama. Another "fun" Market day. Even my natural optimism is being challenged. Can't imagine enjoying the debate tonight.You guys will have to tell me what to think.

If McCain doesnt talk about the Community Reinvestment Act, The Fannie & Freddie mess and its ties to Frank & Dodd & Raines... I will be dissapointedbut it already has been a disappointing year, Packers NFC Champ game failure, Cubs Failure..now the GOP.... My "teams" havent been good in the clutch lately

If McCain doesnt talk about the Community Reinvestment Act, The Fannie & Freddie mess and its ties to Frank & Dodd & Raines... I will be dissapointed
This ^^^Really important that he brings this up and drives it home so that everyone watching understands what happened. He really can not talk all night about pork barrel spending. That will not work in this debate. This town hall type of debate should be a big plus for McCain. Let's hope he can do well and change some minds tonight.

This ones gonna be a good little war imo.All the points made above will come out, but I think McCain has been told by his handlers (who can see clearly that he is behind and have heard all of the concern on the right wing talk shows) to go at Barrack hard, and that its do or die tonight.McCain will not hold back. if he does he's toast imo.The risk is that if he comes off to pissy he will appear mean and desperate, which would be viewed negatively imo. Gonna be a fine line. Normally debates have little ultimate voter effect, but I think this year is def. different and this debate could well be a game breaker.Ordering chinese and waiting for the fireworks.

This ^^^Really important that he brings this up and drives it home so that everyone watching understands what happened. He really can not talk all night about pork barrel spending. That will not work in this debate. This town hall type of debate should be a big plus for McCain. Let's hope he can do well and change some minds tonight.
Or Not :-)
If McCain doesnt talk about the Community Reinvestment Act, The Fannie & Freddie mess and its ties to Frank & Dodd & Raines... I will be dissapointedbut it already has been a disappointing year, Packers NFC Champ game failure, Cubs Failure..now the GOP.... My "teams" havent been good in the clutch lately
AGREED!!!!!! Except the part about the Cubs losing. (I'm a cardinals fan--We have already won a Championship in our new stadium. The Cubs will have to wait till next year to try and win one in theirs). If McCain doesn't have copies of Bush's Bill and the one McCain cosponsored to throw at the moderator and the crowd when he is asked about it I am going to throw my Television out the window.I wouldn't keep hammering on Ayers, and Wright. I would mention it, and then let it go. I don't expect Brokov to necessarily be fair tonight. He is already on the outs with a lot of the media for not campaigning hard enough for Obama. He has already come out and minimized the connection with Ayers(parroting democratic talking points in regard to the issue). If I were Obama, I would continue repeating the Lies that Bidin told in last debate. He doesn't have to be worried about telling the truth because he isn't going to be challanged by the media. I don't really see how Obama can screw this up. He can pretty much make any claim or promise, no matter how far fetched. He won't be challanged by the media or McCain.

I think you could be right, but I would much rather see McCain come out looking calm, strong, and positive. He needs to be like FDR. He should say that we are going to go through hard times but will come out stronger and smarter. He should go on the attack, but a much more substantive attack would be to point out how negative Obama has been spinning things for his own political gain. Obama been so dramatic as to say that the American Dream is slipping away, and McCain should say that visiting any third world country will disprove that instantly. He needs to attack Obama for luring people with the politics of victimization, and he would contrast that with his own realistic but positive outlook. In other words, Obama has lost his hold on the politics of hope, and McCain should steal it. This would be a far more substantive alternative to the shallow attacks on Ayers, imo.It would also not be what people expect, but it would be certainly tricky to pull off. McCain could look totally out of touch if acts too positive. It also takes a certain political instinct to know when to do these sorts of things, and I don't know if McCain has it. I believe that if the situations were reversed, Obama would do something like this. (Thinking of his speech on race in response to the Rev. Wright controversy) We will probably see a debate like you described though, and I don't think McCain can win if he follows through with that plan.Man, my brain is tired for some reason. Sorry in advance if this post is really incoherent. :\