Paul Wasicka Folding The Oesfd

I can't believe this wasn't an insta call. he outstacked Michael Binger, so if all 3 players are all in and he misses and Jamie Gold takes the pot...he still gets 2nd place cash. I just think this was a horrible fold....Clearly he wasn't playing to win IMOdiscuss

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this wasn't an insta call. he outstacked Michael Binger, so if all 3 players are all in and he misses and Jamie Gold takes the pot...he still gets 2nd place cash. I just think this was a horrible fold....Clearly he wasn't playing to win IMOdiscuss
I don't blame him in the least. That is a TON of money
I think everyone agrees? Next question please...

Fri Aug 11 03:01:00 PDT 2006Updated Chip CountsThe updated chip counts are:Jamie Gold $64,000,000Paul Wasicka $14,000,000Michael Binger $11,000,000 those were from 2 hands before but the hand before that wasicka had taken about 3 million from gold so he had around 17 million. If wasicka calls binger might be able to get away from it and still have 5 million or so.229. Gold limps from the button and Wasicka limps from the small blind. Michael Binger raises to $1,500,000 from the big blind. Both Gold and Wasicka call and the flop comes 1065 with 2 spades. Wasicka checks, Binger bets $3,500,000 and Gold moves all in. Wasicka folds and Binger calls. Binger shows A10 and Gold turns over 43 for an open ended straight draw. The turn is the 7c and Gold makes a straight. The river is the Qs and Michael Binger is eliminated in 3rd place.

This is an assumption.Binger raised, but not to where he was all-in. Then Gold re-raised all in.Wasicka folded, and Binger called. If Wasicka called, there is the possibility that Binger folds. That's the problem with your analysis. Would of been a horrible fold if Binger was all-in before the action got to him. I still think that the fold can be debated, but it was a weak fold, just trying to get 2n place instead of playing to win.
only if he puts Binger on a higher FD; could he think about foldingbut yeah..gotta call.You're already making bank, easy call to have a decent bracelet chance

thanks scotty.if i'm reading that right, and he folded 7s, 8s, that is ridiculous. even if you assume binger folds (not a big problem), he's gotta know he's better than 50% against gold's range here.people say its a lot of cash, and they're right. but he'd also already guaranteed a lot of cash. its not as if gold was guaranteed the win, and the other two had meaninglessly small stacks though, that pot gives him half the chips in the tourney, and a very good chance to win.i hope wasicka is really masochistic and trolls poker forums looking for opinions on the hand, so i can tell him personally that this fold was absolutely disgusting, and reflects negatively on not only his intelligence and poker play, but his existence as a person.

He was on The Circuit last week and they asked him about the hand. He thought he played the hand well, and wasn't upset w/ his decision. He claims to have had a good read on Gold and put him on the higher flush draw. I find that hard to believe, he was clearly playing for 2nd. If he calls and wins it's anyone's ballgame. I think the HUGE mistake in the hand was checking the flop. If he leads the hand plays completely differently.

he outstacked Michael Binger, so if all 3 players are all in and he misses and Jamie Gold takes the pot...he still gets 2nd place cash.
Wasicka may not have realized the rule about him getting 2nd if both Binger and he got knocked out on the same hand, because he had Binger outchipped.At that point, I would have played to win and made the call with the odds on my side.
i hope wasicka is really masochistic and trolls poker forums looking for opinions on the hand, so i can tell him personally that this fold was absolutely disgusting, and reflects negatively on not only his intelligence and poker play, but his existence as a person.
:club:

With Jamie Gold outstacking Wasicka by a margin of nearly 5 to 1...I don't think he is going to have a better opportunity to double/triple up regardless of whether Binger folds or not. I guess thats the gambler in me, but there is no way I am laying down an OESFD with the bracelet on the line.Did he really think he had any kind of shot to beat Jamie Gold with a 10 to 1 disadvantage after Binger was railed ? (assuming Binger calls)I think he decided that his best bet was to take the extra 2 milly and resigned himself to second place.Oh and the final hand call with 10/10 was terrible...Gold basically telegraphed that he was ahead JMO

he had to call.He has to figure that since he has an OESF draw...that he has two "absolute" outs and 6 more that are wins. 8 outs for that many chips is a go.Jamie gold was not the type of player you can chop chop at...he is a habitual caller...you need hands to be able to chop him down.he needed to gamble in that spot...and he choked. it happens to the best players, why shouldn't it happen to Wasika.

I dont think he resigned himself to getting 2nd at all. What he did do was ensure he got at least 2nd. With that much money on the line, moving up 2 million is a huge deal. I think he also was confident in his head up game against Gold. If he is certain that Binger will call his all in then he would def be in the pot. But, if he calls all in and loses the pot, he will have lost 2 million real dollars. It's hard to overcome a 10:1 chip deficit, but he doubled once, and if he was right with his 1010 and Jamie was on 99 or something of that nature, he would have doubled through him twice, and that makes it anyone's ballgame.In a regular tourney where the bumps aren't gigantic it's a huge mistake. If you are playing to win the tourney its a huge mistake. Wasicka did as much as he could to not lose and then to try and win. In that order.

Oh and the final hand call with 10/10 was terrible...Gold basically telegraphed that he was ahead JMO
I don't think this call was terrible. Gold moved in on a board that was very draw heavy. It was very likely that he was moving in with a flush draw, straight draw, or possibly middle pair. If you look at all the possibilities that Gold could have had on the hand, the Q is not as likely as the other.I won't say wether his decision to fold his open ended straight flush draw was a good decision, but I won't say it was a bad one either. He took a lot of time to deliberate this hand. He clearly thought he was up against a higher flush draw. If he is up against a higher flush draw, he is in a bad position to put himself out in 3rd place. Assuming Gold has the higher flush draw, if the flush never comes, Binger triples up, Gold wins some off Wasicka, and Wasicka takes the rail. It was very clear that Binger was not going to let go of his hand. Also note, Wasicka had only put in 1.5 Million of his 17 Million chips. He still had about 1/5 of the chips in play at this point. I don't think 8 pure outs is justifiable for calling off 15.5 of your 17 Million chips. A lot of people are claiming he wasn't playing to win. I think his fold clearly shows that he WAS playing to win. An OESFD is not gin in this game, and with the big stack structure of this tournament, he wanted to put himself in a better postition. I just thougth I'd offer another way of looking at this situation.Alpha

So no one mentioned that if he would have called and Binger would have won the hand then Wastika would only be left with what, 5-6 million? I think if he would have done some things different in the begining of the hand it would have turned out better for him. If Wastika would have bet at it and Binger went all in Gold might have folded. But if Jamie or Binger had a bigger flush draw he was fu.cked to 6 outs, any non-spade straight card. No matter what it was a tough choice that HE made because HE was the one sitting there, not YOU.

If you were Binger would you have called the rest of your chips off with just TPTK? I sure wouldnt.
Oh and the final hand call with 10/10 was terrible...Gold basically telegraphed that he was ahead JMO
I cant remember how much he raised pre-flop, but since he was so short stacked (compared to Gold) he should have raised enough to pot commit himself no matter what comes or raise so little that he can easily through it away. Thats the trick with middle pairs in tourney situations.

Sorry, didn't read through all the replies, so if someone already said this, then **** me.But the reason why he didn't was pretty obvious. He cared more about winning more money, than finishing first. Sure, if he gets knocked out, he finishes second because he had most chips.. ASSUMING that Michael Binger didn't have a hand, or atleast make one, and keep himself in, while Gold had a hand big enough to knock Paul Wasicka out and send him packing home.I think it's pretty evident that Paul did what most human beings would do, and take the huge step of money rather than risk it, possibly being knocked out third.

But the reason why he didn't was pretty obvious. He cared more about winning more money, than finishing first.I think it's pretty evident that Paul did what most human beings would do, and take the huge step of money rather than risk it, possibly being knocked out third.
You couldn't be more wrong. If anyone has ever listened to a Paul Wasicka interview, he made it very clear that he wasn't playing for more money, he was playing to win. He made a very intelligent, deep, and thought provoking reason as to why he folded his hand. If he knew what Gold had, he would have called, but he thought he was dead to a higher flush draw. If that was the case, 8 outs isn't **** in a 3 way pot. He knew Binger was gonna call. He made a very appropriate decision given the situation he thought he was in. He knew Gold had a flush draw. With this knowledge, does anyone know what the likelyhood was the Jamie Gold held one of the only three spade hands that Wasicka could beat? Case and point.
he had to call.He has to figure that since he has an OESF draw...that he has two "absolute" outs and 6 more that are wins. 8 outs for that many chips is a go.
Also if Gold doesn't have the 10s for a pair, pairing up alone could give Wasicka the better hand. If we assume Binger folds and give Gold QsKs, cardplayer.com gives the winning odds as:Gold - 57.58%, 1.77:1Wasikca - 42.42%, 2.36:1So a 2.36 to 1 draw getting about 1.6 to 1 on his money, and that's one of the worst case scenarios...

I hated this play, and hated that he attempted to justify it afterward. The claim that he was playing to win is completely negated by this fold. He is most likely a favorite over a vast majority of his opponents' ranges, and if not, he still has enough wins in the deck to take the risk, hoping to bust Binger, and get heads up with Gold with a good shot to win. I'll be honest, from what I've heard of PW, his thought process was most likely to fold, let Binger bust, and hope to outplay Gold out of his massive chip lead. He said in an interview that if gold had a 9:1 chip lead, he still believed he could beat him. So he may have been able to cover it with the idea that he was playing to beat Gold, but if that's the case, why not take the chance on getting HU with a good stack? If he could beat him out of a 9:1 defecit, surely he could do it with a 2:1 chip defecit, or whatever he would have had if he scoops that pot.

What I really think this hand shows is how utterly lucky Gold was the whole tournament. He moves in with the worst hand, a draw, and still if both other guys would have called he still would have won, that's just amazing.