Muslim Woman Sues Abercrombie & Fitch Over Hijab

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Muslim-woman...306870.html?x=0Cliffs: Woman is hired while wearing her hijab, told she can wear it as long as it matches stores colors. District Manager and HR tells she has to lose it, she doesn't. She is fired.Is this discrimination?Can companies who require certain uniforms or dress codes stop people from wearing religious garments?If yes to the above where is the line drawn? Is there a line?
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Muslim-woman...306870.html?x=0Cliffs: Woman is hired while wearing her hijab, told she can wear it as long as it matches stores colors. District Manager and HR tells she has to lose it, she doesn't. She is fired.Is this discrimination?Can companies who require certain uniforms or dress codes stop people from wearing religious garments?If yes to the above where is the line drawn? Is there a line?
If she was told that she could wear it when she accepted the job, then it's wrongful termination.Otherwise, a clothing store should have the right to maintain a wardrobe that fits the image of the store. This shouldn't necessarily apply to all occupations (such as an office).
If she was told that she could wear it when she accepted the job, then it's wrongful termination.Otherwise, a clothing store should have the right to maintain a wardrobe that fits the image of the store. This shouldn't necessarily apply to all occupations (such as an office).
Does the manager of the store have the authority to speak for the higher ups? Maybe the manager said she could wear it without asking/checking and then when they did a store survey, saw her and that is when this came up.What if that is the case?

At will employee = hire or fire at willIf the store is in a heavily muslim population center, they should hire women who dress like this, if not, they don't need to.You think a really fat woman can get a job at Victoria's Secret?

Would they tell a Jewish man that he can't wear a yarmulke ? It's no different.Edit: I saw the girl interviewed on CNN and she seems like a normal American teenager. The reason she gave for wanting to work in the store was that a lot of her friends worked there and it would be a fun place to work.

Would they tell a Jewish man that he can't wear a yarmulke ? It's no different.Edit: I saw the girl interviewed on CNN and she seems like a normal American teenager. The reason she gave for wanting to work in the store was that a lot of her friends worked there and it would be a fun place to work.
That is the first thing I thought of. And I can see that one both ways. Now lets look at the opposite end of the spectrum. While a yarmulke is very small and can be almost unnoticeable, what if the religious garments was a giant Indian Head Dress, with feathers and plumes?Granted that person probably would have never been hired in the first place, but lets just play devils advocate here.
That is the first thing I thought of. And I can see that one both ways. Now lets look at the opposite end of the spectrum. While a yarmulke is very small and can be almost unnoticeable, what if the religious garments was a giant Indian Head Dress, with feathers and plumes?Granted that person probably would have never been hired in the first place, but lets just play devils advocate here.
Yes there is a certain line that can be drawn between reasonable accomodation and discrimination. To me a woman wearing a head scarf which doesn't affect her job performance isn't close to that line. Of course I see women every day dressed like this and I think nothing of it when I see a Sikh man in a full turban for example.The District Manager and HR person are morons who deserve to get fired. Not for being bigots but for being so stupid as to fire her after already getting hired.I read some of the comments on that Yahoo article and it's pretty digusting. I guess being racist towards Muslims is the last discrimination that people aren't afraid to show in public.
Yes there is a certain line that can be drawn between reasonable accomodation and discrimination. To me a woman wearing a head scarf which doesn't affect her job performance isn't close to that line. Of course I see women every day dressed like this and I think nothing of it when I see a Sikh man in a full turban for example.
But in this case the product being sold is clothing and image. What she wears does affect her job performance, because it impacts her ability to reflect the image that AF is selling. For instance, I bet they don't let their employees wear all goth clothing either. Should she be able to get a job at Hooters and insist upon wearing a full body coverup?Also, the fact that it is a religious belief which compels her to wear this thing should be irrelevant. If I have some philosophy that an invisible sky monkey requires me to wear monkey ears and a tail all day long, I should not expect a retail store to hire me.
But in this case the product being sold is clothing and image. What she wears does affect her job performance, because it impacts her ability to reflect the image that AF is selling. For instance, I bet they don't let their employees wear all goth clothing either. Should she be able to get a job at Hooters and insist upon wearing a full body coverup?Also, the fact that it is a religious belief which compels her to wear this thing should be irrelevant. If I have some philosophy that an invisible sky monkey requires me to wear monkey ears and a tail all day long, I should not expect a retail store to hire me.
They describe her as a stock clerk and not a sales person.She worked there for 4 months, if her wearing a scarf was a problem they should have never hired her in the first place. No question that there is a line. I wouldn't expect any company to hire somebody in a Burka for a job in retail for example.What if the reason that she wears a scarf is that she's going through chemo and is wearing it to hide her loss of hair ?
If she was told that she could wear it when she accepted the job, then it's wrongful termination.
these two posts really cover the issue. If A&F had declined to hire her because they want to promote a certain image, that's probably fine. Once they hire her and let her work with the hijab for several months, they destroy this argument both logically and legally. This is definitely wrongful termination; she will sue and get a settlement and A&F will institute a corporate policy to make sure a hiring decision like this is run by someone high up the food chain first.
Which still doesn't mean you are allowed to discriminate though, right?
Oh no..you can 100% discriminate.You just can't rub their nose in it."Ahh..yes..Ms. 'tattoos on your arms and chest and piercings through your entire face'....looks like we can't hire you because we already filled that position. We will keep this resume though and if something comes up we will call you to save you the time of having to come back into our store."Instead of" No, you look like a nut job and we don't hire wacko chicks "Same exact reasons and results, just different packaging to appease feel good idiots who pretend these laws matter.
these two posts really cover the issue. If A&F had declined to hire her because they want to promote a certain image, that's probably fine. Once they hire her and let her work with the hijab for several months, they destroy this argument both logically and legally. This is definitely wrongful termination; she will sue and get a settlement and A&F will institute a corporate policy to make sure a hiring decision like this is run by someone high up the food chain first.
Yea, I didn't realize she had 4 months in. Any manager stupid enough to fire a person and let them know it was for one of these reasons should be fired. They could just have easily cut her hours back to 2-4 hours a week and make her quit, or laid her off because they 'were not happy with her performance' and she wouldn't have any case.
I read some of the comments on that Yahoo article and it's pretty digusting. I guess being racist towards Muslims is the last discrimination that people aren't afraid to show in public.
You should probably mosey on over to the religion forum and take a gander at any thread if you think this is true. Make sure you keep an eye out for any post by Spademan.

Just look at Europe if you think this thing is just an "oh what's the big deal let them wear their silly outfits". It's an you give them an inch and they'll take a mile thing. The Muslim Brotherhood has a long and deep plan to spread Islam over the earth, including here in America. They are already trying to implement Sharia law in parts of the U.S. Disgusting and no way, go back to your own sandy country if you want to practice your crazy allah Sharia crap. Speaking of which, I bet Anthony Winer's wife Huma Abedin's Muslim handlers are more upset with Wiener's wiener than anyone else. It has come out she is a full on member of the Muslim Brotherhood http://frontpagemag.com/2011/06/17/why-is-...-not-resigning/ and is likely an Islamic plant working for Hilary Clinton. Hmm, liberals and Muslims yet again in bed together. Strange how that always seems to be the case. This is why we need to wake up, liberals are encouraging the terrorists to come over to America and stake claim. Makes me so angry. Bachmann/Christie '12! Obama HUSSEIN is not the guy you want in office right now.

I read some of the comments on that Yahoo article and it's pretty digusting. I guess being racist towards Muslims is the last discrimination that people aren't afraid to show in public.
Muslims are not really a race though. Criticizing people for having ridiculous beliefs that they could change if they chose to is not the same as criticizing people for their race.(I didn't look at the comments in the yahoo article)
Muslims are not really a race though. Criticizing people for having ridiculous beliefs that they could change if they chose to is not the same as criticizing people for their race.(I didn't look at the comments in the yahoo article)
The comments I was talking about were racial. Sand monkeys, rag heads, monkey face etc. Anti-Muslim sentiment turns into anti-Arab and anti-brown skin pretty quickly since as we both know racism simmers just below the surface waiting to show it's face in all societies.
The comments I was talking about were racial. Sand monkeys, rag heads, monkey face etc. Anti-Muslim sentiment turns into anti-Arab and anti-brown skin pretty quickly since as we both know racism simmers just below the surface waiting to show it's face in all societies.
You have a really poor opinion of society.I believe that racist make up a very tiny minority of society.At least racist that hate people.People who see the person's color first and then decide they are a certain way make up the majority...of the democrat party. but even that is only a minority in this country.

This whole situation doesnt pass the smell test>If shes devout enuf to wear head scarfs, why would she consider working in a place that so blatanly uses sexual images to attract customers.Im willing to bet she had plans to sue anyway over the sexual nature of gthe stores posters, claiming it created a hostile work environment for her.