It doesn't suprise me one bit that he was taking a tour instead of attending to the people's business... Franken is a fraud. He is pretty much the laughing stock of the U.S. Senate. I would guess that his oppinion is actually "respected" by <20% of the Senate. GG Sir

I know some people who worked with him here in MN, and he's not a nice guy at all. He's an angry, angry person, pretty much all the time.At any rate, I don't judge Senators based on what they do in their spare time. If I did, yes, this was a cool thing. So we'll give him a +1 for this.As for what he's done legislatively, so far it looks like a mixed record. He made the R's look stupid with that legalized rape thing, so that's a +10. On the other hand, he got an additional obnoxious clause inserted into the already horrible Senate health care bill, so that's a -10.Overall, not as horrible as I expected from an angry comedian.

He is in actuality a real dick to most people. This is well known.The best thing about Al winning is now the Republicans have a great comeback for when ever a laughable republican candidate runs again and wins. They can simply say " Al Franken" and pretty much end the argument right there.

Listening to Micheal Medved's radio show a few years back, he was talking about the best and worst people he had met in the business. He stated that for the most part it was positive experience, but he said that the worst person he had met in the business was Al Franken, who was a very bitter and extremely mean spirited person. I don't say that to rain on your parade, I am glad you had a good time, but he has proven now and in the past to be an arsehole. He represents everything that is wrong with politicians today with the exception possibly of being driven by money. He doesn't strike me as greedy or materialistic, which is good, but he is still an arsehole.

Senator Franken's first piece of legislation was the Service Dogs for Veterans Act (S. 1495), which he co-authored with Sen. Johnny Isakson ®. The bill, which passed the Senate via unanimous consent, established a program with the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to pair disabled veterans with service dogs.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Won't somebody think of the....wait, that's actually a decent and thoughtful piece of legislation, and it's almost impossible to rationally argue against it.
Nice story, Strat.And some of you guys are complete assholes. Try rethinking your lives, or at least your e-personalities.
I laughed
Buddy, you really need to get over your beef with me. Let go of the infamous onion linking scandal of '09.Franken's politics are basically the polar opposite of mine, but who cares? Stories like this make it seem like he hasn't been poisoned by DC yet. Sure, Minnesota elects some crazy people, but when the independent candidate is capable of grabbing 15%+ in any election, calls for change are taken seriously. Sounds like a pretty great place to live aside from the snow.
Dude.What "beef"?I'd completely forgotten your asinine link. I think I've made two posts in about a week in response to you - and even those were pretty innocuous. I honestly didn't even recognize that you were the origination of which I was responding (I think that is grammatically correct, but it feels awkward). I'm neither trolling you nor becoming your personal stalker - frank(en)ly my dear, I don't give a damn about you.You want to post observations "intended to stimulate some conversation", but then bristle at the conversation it stimulates. You started this thread asking to get torched, and when the first response does just that, you take it personally - and it wasn't even really a torching, certainly not meant as personal attack. To me, Franken IS the "poison" in DC - from what I've read it appears that the Democratic Farmer-Labor Party is about as "Independent" as Nancy Pelosi herself. He is clearly very intelligent, but no, I do not admire nor love him for his non-comedic accomplishments and actions like taking a public tour of the Capitol.
...he got an additional obnoxious clause inserted into the already horrible Senate health care bill, so that's a -10...
What was his contribution? I know he fought for "Abortion Rights" in the Health Insurance Care Bill and shut down Lieberman (Actually an Independent these days).
I know what you're referencing here, only because I went back and looked at your interactions with me. You took a completely random, off-topic shot at MK over a quote I'm gonna guess you had a 0% chance of ever reading. Gee, wonder why I bristled?The truth is, I get unhappy when conversation devolves into partisan circle-jerking/liberal-bashing because it's boring. There are times when I feel like watching Fox News is a better alternative to posting here, because at least then I'm getting it straight from the source.Over the whole time I've been here at FCP, you may be the only person who rivals LMD on my impolite scale. Apparently it's not a very good metric because I didn't see much of anything controversial from you in the last few months. So hey, I'm sorry. You're not an asshole, I was apparently projecting. No snark, no sarcasm, I truly do apologize for being a jerk.
Guess I bristled a little too.I certainly have earned my reputation of being an ass - even if I have cleaned up my act a bit over the past year or so (for the most part)Sincere apology offered in return.
...Over the whole time I've been here at FCP, you may be the only person who rivals LMD on my impolite scale...
Now I just need to start trolling the Religion Forum, scam someone out of a couple of bucks, and then disappear.
What was his contribution? I know he fought for "Abortion Rights" in the Health Insurance Care Bill and shut down Lieberman (Actually an Independent these days).
My understanding is that he was mainly responsible for the bit about insurance companies have to spend a certain amount of their money on paying claims. Clearly economics is not a strong suit of his.EDIT: BTW, I got the impression that it was his doing from the Minneapolis Star-and-Sickle Tribune, so maybe they were just being parochial and claiming an accomplishment for a local boy to make themselves feel good for getting him elected.
I certainly have earned my reputation of being an ass - even if I have cleaned up my act a bit over the past year or so (for the most part)
I've seen the change - I think that many posters in this forum (like you) are able to see the arguments for the other side and can come to conclusions that are not part of their party's objectives. Originally, I was for the idea of universal health care, but at this point, I don't like the plan that Congress has approved. I still think that the goal is laudable (especially to ensure that all children are covered) but there has to be a better way.As for the Franken article that Strat posted, I find it funny that posters have to come on here to immediately demonize Franken - it's as if they can't give him credit for anything.It would be the same as if someone posted that Dick Cheney gave away $7M to charitable causes like he did last year and the Liberals proceeded to bash him up and down for his other failures.
As for the Franken article that Strat posted, I find it funny that posters have to come on here to immediately demonize Franken - it's as if they can't give him credit for anything.
I think what Franken did was kind of cool, although I don't really find it that interesting.I think part of the reason for these responses was how the original post was worded. It said, "I don't care what side you're from... this man is awesome."It shifted the discussion (before it happened) from the act to the man.
What was his contribution? I know he fought for "Abortion Rights" in the Health Insurance Care Bill and shut down Lieberman (Actually a weasel whose political party changes on a daily basis).
FYP.The man begged Obama to help him retain his Senate seat and then knifed him in the back when he ran against McCain. Then, he personally advocated a lowering of the Medicare age limit to 55. Then, he did a complete 180 when he remembered (excuse me, when some lobbyists pointedly reminded him) that he resides in Connecticut----the insurance capital of the world.This is not a guy finding principles. This is an opportunistic weasel who is willing to lean whichever way the wind is blowing. The fact that he opposes this health care bill AND that the bill stinks is purely coincidental.
As an olive branch, I offer this picture of Al Franken:http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/...tos/2045603.jpg
Faaaaaaaaaaaaake! I actually posted that same picture on fcp about a year ago, unaware that it was fake. It is, which is frankly pretty strange, since there must be a wealth of images of him dressed up in stupid costumes which aren't fake. I mean, if you can't find an actually embarrassing picture of goddam Al Franken, you don't deserve to win (Norm Coleman).frankendoctored2.jpgEDIT: Are pictures broken today? Here's it is:Frankenbunny