What Happened To Fcp?

Serious question.I've been a member for a long time. And I used to contribute on a regular basis. These days when I look at threads, it doesn't seem like there is really anything going on. A handful of stake threads, a few rail threads, some challenge threads, and poker media. I suppose that all of these things do fall under general poker. But I have to wonder where the content has gone.Obviously I'm aware that we have strategy forums. And I think those are great.We have lost quite a few people who used to contribute heavily to the forum. I guess I'm saying it would be nice to see some meaningful threads in general on a regular basis. Perhaps they've been posted and I keep missing them........... :club:

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people form groups & move off of public forums w/ their collected knowledge. i think the glut of training sites that raise the level in the fish pond has people more reluctant to continue to give away information for free.

people form groups & move off of public forums w/ their collected knowledge. i think the glut of training sites that raise the level in the fish pond has people more reluctant to continue to give away information for free.
That makes a lot of sense. Something I never really thought of.
That, and Smash started tapping Marion.
That makes a lot of sense. Something I never really thought of.
Well, I'm not sure what content you're expecting in this general poker forum, besides staking, rails and challenge threads. ALl the other topics to really talk about have designated forums, hell even like poker books and poker on tv has specific forums. The challenge threads have tons and tons of content, btw, and probably the best part about Gen pop these days. But politics is DN's blog, strat had 7 forums or w/e, sports has several specific fourms, religion has it's own forum, entertainment it's own forum, and general chit chat and transexuals on off topic. I'm not sure what "content" is left to be found in here. This forum is a watered down NVG at this point, with threads like the Clonie thread, or what ever latest 10K buyin event thread ,to give updates on DN or what ever. There's just not many substantive poker topics that are intended for this forum, unless you want to talk about the merits of slow rolling or something rediculous.
Well, I'm not sure what content you're expecting in this general poker forum, besides staking, rails and challenge threads. ALl the other topics to really talk about have designated forums, hell even like poker books and poker on tv has specific forums. The challenge threads have tons and tons of content, btw, and probably the best part about Gen pop these days. But politics is DN's blog, strat had 7 forums or w/e, sports has several specific fourms, religion has it's own forum, entertainment it's own forum, and general chit chat and transexuals on off topic. I'm not sure what "content" is left to be found in here. This forum is a watered down NVG at this point, with threads like the Clonie thread, or what ever latest 10K buyin event thread ,to give updates on DN or what ever. There's just not many substantive poker topics that are intended for this forum, unless you want to talk about the merits of slow rolling or something rediculous.
No, it's not that. I think Qyayqi explained it pretty well. When FCP started there were no training sites. So what is happening makes total sense.

I am not sure what you were hoping to accomplish with this thread. If it was merely an observation, then I agree completely. I used to spend a lot more time at FCP because there was a lot more content to read, but I find that there is now less here, and what is here has gone downhill. The threads that are poplular are things like the CanadianPoker83 scam thread, which took on a life of its own quite apart from poker.

The challenge threads have tons and tons of content,
This. If you took every hand that was posted and discussed out of the challenge thread and put them in the strat forums, they would be hopping. Not sure how it happened but they took on a life of their own. I followed the nl challenge thread for a while but for a casual forum surfer, it's next to impossible to keep up when there's ~10 pages/day to surf through.

I used to be a lot more involved in poker in many ways. I used to play more, hang out with poker buddies, etc. Lately I haven't been as interested.But, I stated in another thread. The economy is pretty grim right now. And those who can or have the ability to make money in a non traditional manner such as poker have a HUGE advantage.I know that what I'm saying is not going to get through to everyone. I predict that a lot of new money will start to flood into the world of poker, obviously this is a good thing.I would reccomend working on your game and getting in as many hours as possible.........

I used to be a lot more involved in poker in many ways. I used to play more, hang out with poker buddies, etc. Lately I haven't been as interested.But, I stated in another thread. The economy is pretty grim right now. And those who can or have the ability to make money in a non traditional manner such as poker have a HUGE advantage.I know that what I'm saying is not going to get through to everyone. I predict that a lot of new money will start to flood into the world of poker, obviously this is a good thing.I would reccomend working on your game and getting in as many hours as possible.........
Is the subtext of this, when the economy is bad, people tend to degenerate, and businesses like gambling and drugs boom, so there will be many desperate, depressed people coming to the tables, along with drug dealers flush with cash and gamble?
I agree that people who make money through poker have a huge advantage going forwardhowever, I disagree wholeheartedly that there will be a lot of money flowing into the poker worldthat money is simply not available right now for casual players and people who lose their job to start playing poker for a living; poker is inherently risky (even for good players a downturn through variance will happen and can be costly) and that will prevent many people from starting to play poker for a livingpeople who already had a bankroll and were already successful and playing might still make the jump to play professionally (like Acid Knight for example), but those players are not the type that the average player wants to add to their game I think that the coaching poker business could boom a little as people want to decrease their risk from playing, but the actual game will likely stay about the same as it was before

Well i am a member for only 2 and a half years but i don't remember taking general poker forum seriously ever. To me , it was always full of dumb threads , sometimes funny dumb sometimes hilarious dumb but mostly just plain dumb threads. About strategy forums , i only play PLO and i think we lack interesting hands and regulars. Most of the regs who used to contribute doesn't play much anymore (Yeah i am talking to you Simo) and the ones still playing don't post any hands because probably they don't think they will receive valuable and quality responses and insight to the hands they post and i don't think they are %100 wrong about that. (Iggy?)That's why lately i just lurk and post a lot less. Maybe others have similiar reasons.

Imagine you go to a restaurant every week for a year or so. It's a friendly local restaurant where everyone talks and mingles. From the beginning of the year to the end, there's a few changes on the menu, they never changed it all at once but it's been tweaked quite a bit over the last year. You hardly notice. Then you stop going every week, and go only once in awhile when you pop in to give everyone an update on something. There's a regular group of people that hang out in the "challenge" section of the restaurant, a place where the serious people go and talk all the time, but you never go in that area. After hopping in and out every so often, one day you come and are very depressed. You've noticed a lot of the faces have changed and the people who you liked to talk with aren't around anymore. The people in the "challenge" area are still there, there's actually even a couple new "challenge" sections where the people talk about your specific interests and specialties, but again, you decide not to venture over that way, instead choosing to wonder where everyone has gone and why the menu is so different than when you first used to come and be a regular here.Do you think the current people that make the menu, and the people in the "challenge" areas where you won't go to, are really going to have much sympathy?

Do you think the current people that make the menu, and the people in the "challenge" areas where you won't go to, are really going to have much sympathy?
Kind of an awkward metaphor, but I completely agree with your point. For me ( for whom limit is my first and truest love) the Challenge LHE thread consistently has more and higher quality poker content that I'm interested in than any other part of FCP has had in FCP's history. I don't play much NLHE these days, so I don't wander into the New( original) challenge thread, but 1100 pages isn't' exactly dead, and I think to dismiss the challenge threads by lumping them in with stake threads and rail threads does the challenge threads a real diservice. I also think it's kind of funny, and I don't mean any disrespect here steve, but that you found Q's post to be the most true. You probably find that salient because you yourself have a poker content sales agenda ( which I'm not saying is bad, or that your poker content isn't worth spending money on. Lord knows all your students that I know of have been successful). But not everyone has a sales agenda, and there is still plenty of poker being discussed, all over these forums, if you look for it.

Well I think people that post regularly in the challenge thread throw up tons of good content. The problem with the challenge thread(s) is one that has been brought up in the past and I agree with. The challenge threads killed general poker and slowly killed the strat forums too. Sure it's a great thread and has great information, but hands don't get posted in strat, they go to the challenge thread, where better players will see it and comment on it quicker. This theme happened with the regs first, but then other people would pop in just to post a hand, etc, etc. Soon the NL strat forum is dead, other tidbits that would be general threads are strewn in as posts in the challenge thread so there are less topics of interest in gen poker. I don't really care, I have less time to post than ever, but the Challenge thread, although full of information and insight really hurt many aspects of the forum. Not only did it take away from those other parts, it also put all the information together in a less efficient way. Ever try searching through the thread for stuff? It's a very long process, plus you have to wade through a lot of random stuff. It's not anyone's fault, it's just what happened. I know Marchant mentioned it once and I didn't notice until I read it, but it made a lot of sense to me. It sucks to hear because I like the thread, but overall it took away from a lot of other parts of the forum.

the challenge threads really do have gold. however, the lhe one speaks to my argument above: count how many posts in there are edited for content. they are certainly helpful, but not TOO helpful. in a pubic forum the urinals have eyes.fcp'rs sort of caused the condensing of everything in to a couple threads. when people start new ones, they get jumped on if there has been a similar one in the last week. the mods are pretty relaxed in most instances, but they are there to clamp down on what they are mandated to control. we don't have to all put on our plastic badges and play sheriff.

the challenge threads really do have gold. however, the lhe one speaks to my argument above: count how many posts in there are edited for content. they are certainly helpful, but not TOO helpful. in a pubic forum the urinals have eyes
This is an excellent point.
i don't remember taking general poker forum seriously ever. To me , it was always full of dumb threads , sometimes funny dumb sometimes hilarious dumb but mostly just plain dumb threads.
This. Genpop has almost always been a waste. It's gotten worse too; pretty much a bunch of $4 stake/rail threads and happy birthday threads. The forum is just spinning it's wheels. Thankfully, there are many other interesting areas to participate in.
I also think it's kind of funny, and I don't mean any disrespect here steve, but that you found Q's post to be the most true. You probably find that salient because you yourself have a poker content sales agenda ( which I'm not saying is bad, or that your poker content isn't worth spending money on. Lord knows all your students that I know of have been successful). But not everyone has a sales agenda, and there is still plenty of poker being discussed, all over these forums, if you look for it.
This is unbelievable, but I find myself agreeing with BigD. Steve, you use this forum primarily to peddle your wares. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that and it appears that you have been successful for both yourself and your students, but this is a place that you come to sell your service. I have been a member for a fairly long time too, though not as long as you, and the vast majority (though not all) of the Steve7 posts that I can recall are congratulating your newest grad, offering to take on new students, promoting a seminar, or discussing what your training entails. Many people were surprised when they found out what you are charging to teach and you got some kickback with your seminar idea. My guess is that you are frustrated by some of the negative attention, but I am not sold on your comments regarding the state of the forum overall. People still want to learn, they might not be as interested in paying $3-5K for that learning at this time.
This is unbelievable, but I find myself agreeing with BigD. Steve, you use this forum primarily to peddle your wares. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that and it appears that you have been successful for both yourself and your students, but this is a place that you come to sell your service. I have been a member for a fairly long time too, though not as long as you, and the vast majority (though not all) of the Steve7 posts that I can recall are congratulating your newest grad, offering to take on new students, promoting a seminar, or discussing what your training entails. Many people were surprised when they found out what you are charging to teach and you got some kickback with your seminar idea. My guess is that you are frustrated by some of the negative attention, but I am not sold on your comments regarding the state of the forum overall. People still want to learn, they might not be as interested in paying $3-5K for that learning at this time.
I am pretty sure nobody who has gone through s7s training pays that much...I know for 100% fact I didn't.Also...I think the forum IS a different place than Steve is used to going to. Kinda like Chris said, it's just that the Challenge threads etc. are where people hang out more. I do know he was a little bugged that he caught flack for offering his 1 day seminar. I personally find it all kind of funny. I mean...I can only speak for myself, but I am a TRILLION times better as a player thanks to Steve and the rest of s7s. So when he offers a condensed version of his course to get people started...for less money than the entire training course, and people find nothing better to do than flame/bash him...I guess I just have to LOL more than anything. So seriously...people DO NOT TAKE HIS COURSE...Flame away and bash him...HE HAS NOTHING TO OFFER!!!! His training will NOT make you a better player and having access to other members of s7s WILL NOT help you out immensely!!! So PLEASE by all means...keep watching your videos on Cardrunners, PokerXfactor etc. etc. they are the ONLY way you will get better and HE CAN NOT HELP YOU. He is a traveling salesman...BUY MY MAGIC POTION!!!!! FCP is different than it was back in the day, but for those who only think he is a salesman etc. etc...cool...don't buy the product and I won't have to worry about you at my table!

IMO, the forum changes on a regular basis. One week, the main concern of many of the posters is to bash a scamming d-bag. The next week, it's updates and news on cardcores stakee's. In the mean time, the challenge thread is a great read, especially because of how seriously those players take their poker career. There's always something on FCP that catches my eye and keeps me interested. I mean, yeah, FCP's changed... but why wouldn't it change? The state of poker is always changing, and what interests people in that regard certainly won't stay the same for long.Just wondering, what type of threads would you like to see on the forum?

No offense in what Im about to say at all, its not an insult or an attack.I have read only the first 7-8 posts on this thread, but am I the only one that see's the reason this post was made is because maybe Steve isnt getting as much business from his training? Personally, that is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read his posts on here. Like when he said "with the economy slumping this is a good time to get good at poker..." or something to that effect, that just seems like a total advertisement to me.Did anyone else get that vibe?