board pair on the river

I have had some horrible experiences in the pl omaha games when I'll have the nut flush or straight on the turn then lo and behold the board pairs the river. everytime I've bet the pot on the turn then the river pairs the board and my opponent comes out betting the pot, o.k mark it's 2200.00 to you, what choo gonna do? Um I call. Fullhouse, ya I know. I consider this a very skillfull game and the pl aspect can be very frustrating at times. I know the responses i get will be something to the effect of "fold" but I reaaly seem to have problems getting away from these hands. I mean who calls a pot size bet with top two or bottom set? I know, we all do at times but i just thought I'd throw it out there and see if i could get any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I play PL Omaha a lot as well, and have had that situation arise on many occasion. I would say, if it appears that your opponent had a set, or two pair, based on his checking to you and simply calling your pot sized bets, that you have to fold if the board pairs on the river. I know, laying down the nut flush isn't easy, but this is Omaha, and if it's possible, then it's probable. What could he possibly have been calling with? If we has calling you down with say, a king high flush, thinking that you were betting with a set or two pair, then the river pairing would be a big scare card for him, and he would have checked for sure. I think it's fairly obvious that this is holding two pair or a set.More often then not, the board will not pair, and you'll be able to bet the nuts freely, but, even though you've played the hand perfectly, getting as many chips in the pot as possible with the best hand, you have to lay it down.Anyways, I don't profess to be a master of Omaha, but in my early days I made this call and almost every time, my opponent would turn over a boat. It's a bad play by him, calling knowing full well you have a flush, but we all know what kind of players there are out there.gl to you,

• 3 weeks later...

I've found myself in the same situation because i'm just starting out playing omaha hi/low as well. I was playing a tournament the other day and it got down to like the final 30 people on this little $3 buy in so I was pretty stoked, maybe I would get to the final table. Anyway, I raised from under the gun with A A 10 2 and got two callers and the flop came k Q J so I was pretty stoked to flop the nut straight. BB bet into me and I raised which knocked out the other guy and the BB just called. Turn came a four, he checked, I bet, he called. River came another four and he bet right into me. At this point the pot had 31,000 in it and it was 4,000 to me to call, so I pretty much figured I had to call... which made me a really short stack. Maybe I could've folded here because he is obviously representing flopping a good set and hitting his boat, but I just couldn't fold, I felt the pot was too big, it was limit, and I just had to pay him off. But maybe had I saved that one big bet there, I could've made another move, gotten lucky, and got to that final table. I don't know. Any thoughts?

It's a clear fold when there's a pair on the board. The fact that he calls a pot-size bet when there's a flush on board is good long-term value of you play this type of opponent. PL Omaha hi is a game of pot odds. If you apply pot odds to everything, and always with nut flushes and top sets, then you will win lots of money from the bad players online in the long term.