something to think about for you micro limit players

Hey everyone. I've been playing poker online for over a year now and I basically started out playing NL sit n go's, and MTT's. I would often try to play micro limit ring games... anywhere from 5/10 cents to 1/2 dollars. It's not until recently that I discovered something that has changed the way I look at limit.I'm not a great limit player. At least I don't think I am. I can't stand having the best of it on the flop just to get called down all the way by a guy who has nothing who just so happens to catch some miracle river card to win the pot. It infuriates me, and I'm sure I'm not alone.This is until I started playing at a higher level. It might sound silly, but I'm actually winning (greatly) every single day now, and like I said, I'm not that great of a limit player. I have little to no real experience with it.But I've found that when you find a level or even a table where people will fold their big blind to a single raise... you've found a cash cow. At the micro limits, you're rarely going to win pots because of so many people going to the flop, or people chasing... The reason is because 25 cents and a dollar is nothing. It's nothing to the average person. One dollar will buy you a cheeseburger at mcdonalds.That's why it seems that people will call with damn near anything at that level. I could never be a winning micro limit player. But I'm just tearing it up at the higher limit. Right now I'm playing $10/$20, which is comfortable for my bankroll and yet it's at high enough levels where people will actually fold.I'm suggesting that people who have been grinding away at micro limits... really... you should just play a higher level. That might sound like a donk thing to say. But if you can get your hands on even $1,000 you could probably triple that in a couple of days with minimal risk. I sit down with $1,000 and never drop below $800, and every time I've walked away from the table up at least $300 with minimal effort or risk on my part.So am I crazy? Lucky? What do you think? Maybe it's just the site I'm playing... maybe I'm better than I think I am... I honestly don't know. But I don't see why anyone would want to play seriously at $1/$2 limit holdem, and that's why I feel it's such a waste of time to even bother with it.If you're seriously looking to make some money and not just screw around, I'd suggest trying to play a higher limit. I'm not talking play at $30/$60 with your $500 bankroll, but if you can't pull off profit with $1k at $10/$20... maybe you should give up playing all together.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing better players is great. I mean why would i want A5 calling down on a Kxx board when i have kq.
Are you trying to say that people at higher levels are better players? Because you'd be way off base.Sure you'd want A5 calling down on a Kxx board when you have kq... it's the fact that he could and will most likely (for whatever godly reason) hit his ace and have you pay him off.I'm not saying it doesn't happen at higher levels. I'm just saying that people seem to actually care about losing the money.

KonidiasHave you ever read any books on Limit.Or is this jsut natural instinct and experience talking?you obviously have an excellent grasp on the essence of making money in LmitI'm grinding it out at 2/4 now. Took me awhile to get the Bankroll, just playing .5/1 and 1/2. Boy, I tell you. My AA got ran down so many times, I almost thought about folding preflop."No respect for raises."That's what it boils down to.You say I just need a bankroll of $1000 to play $10/20? That's only 50 Big Bets. Ok, sounds reasonable if the games play as predictably as you say. I tell you what, I'd rather win 4 outta 5 pots than 2 outta 5 with AA. (size of pot not withstanding). I cash out number of pots won, not actual dollars, so its all good.anyway, I like your ideas.Come to the strategy forum and post some hands.Not that you need any help.Makes you wonder why anyone plays $2/4?smash's nose may be twitching......

I've never read any books on poker. I recieved a poker book for christmas but I haven't really read it yet.Yeah $1000 does seem small. I forgot to mention one thing... I play at tables with 6 people or less. Usually me and 2 to 3 others.

Out of all the crap Ive read on this site, nothing has caused me to create an account until this.This, is by far, one of the worst posts Ive ever read in my entire life. Everyone who has read this is now stupider for having done so. Nothing you said is even close to being true, retard. You should have to wear a helmet.Im guessing you have played 10/20 probably 3 to 4 times max. Never dropped below 800 dollars, hah. I can't wait for you to realize you are over your head. I know nothing of your poker skills, but judging by your reasoning factors and you sense of reality, I am assuming you probably suck. You are most likely the tyoe of player I like playing the best, the kind that thinks they know what they are doing.If you can not beat a low limit game (whether micro or whatever), you will not be able to beat a higher level. You obviously do not posess the skills enough to adjust, meaning you likely suck and will bust out soon enough.I should probably not even post this in hopes that a bunch of people that can't even beat 1/2 will give higher limits a shot, meaning I will make more money, but I can't help myself.Kill Yourselfedit: I now think this is a joke post after reading your reply about playing 3-4 handed, at least I hope so.

KonidiasHave you ever read any books on Limit.Or is this jsut natural instinct and experience talking?you obviously have an excellent grasp on the essence of making money in LmitI'm grinding it out at 2/4 now. Took me awhile to get the Bankroll, just playing .5/1 and 1/2. Boy, I tell you. My AA got ran down so many times, I almost thought about folding preflop."No respect for raises."That's what it boils down to.You say I just need a bankroll of $1000 to play $10/20? That's only 50 Big Bets. Ok, sounds reasonable if the games play as predictably as you say. I tell you what, I'd rather win 4 outta 5 pots than 2 outta 5 with AA. (size of pot not withstanding). I cash out number of pots won, not actual dollars, so its all good.anyway, I like your ideas.Come to the strategy forum and post some hands.Not that you need any help.Makes you wonder why anyone plays $2/4?smash's nose may be twitching......
I honestly hope you're drunk or kidding. I'd love to win 4 out of 5 pots with AA too but if my winrate with AA is 1 bb compared to 3 if i'm winning 2 out of 5 then i'd take the 2 out of 5 any day.Next noteUpswings are great. We all go through them but in the end if you're a mediocre player at best you aren't going to beat 10/20 in the long run.Playing with bad players you'll have bad sessions and take bad beats but when you look at the end result over 25k plus hands your results will be pretty solid.
Out of all the crap Ive read on this site, nothing has caused me to create an account until this.This, is by far, one of the worst posts Ive ever read in my entire life. Everyone who has read this is now stupider for having done so. Nothing you said is even close to being true, retard. You should have to wear a helmet.Im guessing you have played 10/20 probably 3 to 4 times max. Never dropped below 800 dollars, hah. I can't wait for you to realize you are over your head. I know nothing of your poker skills, but judging by your reasoning factors and you sense of reality, I am assuming you probably suck. You are most likely the tyoe of player I like playing the best, the kind that thinks they know what they are doing.If you can not beat a low limit game (whether micro or whatever), you will not be able to beat a higher level. You obviously do not posess the skills enough to adjust, meaning you likely suck and will bust out soon enough.I should probably not even post this in hopes that a bunch of people that can't even beat 1/2 will give higher limits a shot, meaning I will make more money, but I can't help myself.Kill Yourselfedit: I now think this is a joke post after reading your reply about playing 3-4 handed, at least I hope so.
If your not joking, your clearly a bankroll donk.
I've never read any books on poker. I recieved a poker book for christmas but I haven't really read it yet.Yeah $1000 does seem small. I forgot to mention one thing... I play at tables with 6 people or less. Usually me and 2 to 3 others.
You get your Aces cracked twice and miss a flush in this shorthanded of a game and your bankroll is litterly half gone.

No need to be such a prick.Maybe you're just bitter because you can't do the same? I really don't know. I just made $800 today. I made $300 the day before. I made $1200 the day before that. Even if I do indeed have a losing session, I'd still be up.I'm not "retarded". I've been a winning player since August of last year. I can say that with total honesty. I've cashed out dozens of times throughout the year and I'm currently typing this on the $2100 computer I bought with poker winnings.So don't sit here and tell me I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks.

If your not joking, your clearly a bankroll donk.
You get your Aces cracked twice and miss a flush in this shorthanded of a game and your bankroll is litterly half gone.
plz explain you attempt at insulting me plz.

Epistateyou obviously either suck and are jealous, or you never played micro.I do .The Origial Poster (OP) makes valid pointsYou go read TOP and SSHE..while he contniues to make the easy money at $10/20.welcome to FCP; but please, don't spew such garbage when the man is trying to help us

No need to be such a prick.Maybe you're just bitter because you can't do the same? I really don't know. I just made $800 today. I made $300 the day before. I made $1200 the day before that. Even if I do indeed have a losing session, I'd still be up.I'm not "retarded". I've been a winning player since August of last year. I can say that with total honesty. I've cashed out dozens of times throughout the year and I'm currently typing this on the $2100 computer I bought with poker winnings.So don't sit here and tell me I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks.
you don't know what you are doing. So I was right, you've played 10/20 3 times?
I haven't even gotten aces... maybe that's why? I lose hands, obviously... but I try to minimalize my losses, and I win bigger pots than I lose.
No, I've been playing it for weeks. I was just listing my last few days. I haven't had a losing session as of yet.
If your not joking, your clearly a bankroll donk. (I'm referring to the OP)I agree with you on this subject Epistate.
plz explain you attempt at insulting me plz.

This is great. I debated on whether I should post or let you donkeys go ahead and believe this. I went ahead and posted, and you guys still back him b/c you want to have a reason for not being able to beat 1/2.Fluffdog: I have concluded from 2 posts that you are slightly retarded, if not fully.

No, I've been playing it for weeks. I was just listing my last few days. I haven't had a losing session as of yet.
Well here is the answer to why he loves playing the higher limits so much.I'm Bill Fillmath and I never lose either.Even Bill Fillmath lost to running quad deuces. Cmon.
This is great. I debated on whether I should post or let you donkeys go ahead and believe this. I went ahead and posted, and you guys still back him b/c you want to have a reason for not being able to beat 1/2.Fluffdog: I have concluded from 2 posts that you are slightly retarded, if not fully.
I have concluded from your 4 posts that you can't type for beans, and you seem highly agitated for no real reason... Maybe not enough love as a child?I know my theory sounds donktastical, but it works for me. My bankroll is obviously not $1000. I'm not suggesting someone sit with $1k and blow through it all. If they drop below $800 then maybe it's not for them.But seriously... I play against 3-4 people. $10/$20 limit. I've raised countless times preflop and took it down. That's enough for me to want to keep playing right there.Sorry for winning when I should be losing. I don't know what else you want me to say that would make you sleep better.
I honestly hope you're drunk or kidding.
sober as can be.Which is important, since I'm about to play $30/60 6 Max.( I have a $3000 Bankroll, so I'm safe)
K guess no need to add SW then.But konidias like I said earlier upswings are great but once you hit that downswing and it wont take much of one to bust you, then post and tell us how easy it is to make $ at 10/20.
I have concluded from your 4 posts that you can't type for beans, and you seem highly agitated for no real reason... Maybe not enough love as a child?I know my theory sounds donktastical, but it works for me. My bankroll is obviously not $1000. I'm not suggesting someone sit with $1k and blow through it all. If they drop below $800 then maybe it's not for them.But seriously... I play against 3-4 people. $10/$20 limit. I've raised countless times preflop and took it down. That's enough for me to want to keep playing right there.Sorry for winning when I should be losing. I don't know what else you want me to say that would make you sleep better.
R you saying a good player shouldn't drop more than $200 playing 10/20?
R you saying a good player shouldn't drop more than $200 playing 10/20?
In the end the guys hit the lottery luck wise.I mean if I bought a scratch off and won 500$ it wouldnt mean scratch offs are +ev.Yea i took logic in college, im great....and almost sober at 8:12 am