Official I Joined A Gym Thread

So I joined a gym last Friday. Been six times in eight days. Things are going well.My goal is to get into good enough shape to complete a beginner's triathlon (375-m swim; 10K bike; 2.5K run) in the summer.I'm 42, 202 lbs (down about five or six from before xmas).I live in a fairly small town and there's only one gym. It's reasonably well-equipped... half-a-dozen treadmills, three rowing machine, five or so stationary bikes, couple stair climbers, four elliptical machines. There's a decent amount of free weights and all the standard weight machines.Right now I'm focussing on increasing my cardio, i've lived a very sedentary life for too many years.For three of the last four nights, i've done 30 minutes on the elliptical machine, first at level 1, then at level 2, tonight at level 3 for 20 minutes and level 4 for 10 minutes. I then went and did some upper body work on the machines (bench, military, chest, bicep, tri) and I end every session with crunches on this machinepower_crunch_600.jpg.One of my main questions is, should I do cardio first, then weights? or the other way around. Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.If there's interest, this could be a place where we post our results and try to encourage each other.thank you for listening.bye

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey that was you playing lo8 yesterday!I said 'big table in the back?' to try and keep seem dl, but got no response.Good job on the gym.

For the cardio first or last, its really a preference. I have heard arguements made for both. Switching it up is probably your best bet.Good luck. You can all types of different workouts online, usually they cost for a membership. Or pick up Mens Health or Muscle and Fitness for some idea for workouts.PM me your e mail and I will send you a real good four month workout plan that is great, quick and builds up over time, so you dont kill yourself too early.

Hey that was you playing lo8 yesterday!I said 'big table in the back?' to try and keep seem dl, but got no response.Good job on the gym.
In fact that was me playing some .05/.1, i think.Didn't notice your comment. Made some money, those tables seem pretty soft.

I plan on rejoining the gym soon and getting my flat stomach back.As for the cardio question, here's what I did when I used to go to the gym:Start with 15 minutes light cardio.Hit the weights.End with 25 minutes of heavy cardio. (The last 5 minutes were usually a cool down period for me at a low intensity level).That worked for me, but you should also experiment and do whatever works best for you.One thing that I'm pretty sure has been proven for fat loss is interval training. Work at your normal pace for 5 minutes, and then up the intensity for 1 minute, and then go back to normal pace. Rinse and repeat.Good luck!

In fact that was me playing some .05/.1, i think.Didn't notice your comment. Made some money, those tables seem pretty soft.
Yeah I've been playing 100-500 hand stretches and learning, they really are. Fun game.

congrats. it seems like you got a pretty good plan worked out. i prefer weights first and then cardio just so i don't sweat all over the machines (but it's a preference thing more than anything else). i've noticed with the gym that when you go regularly it gets addicting, and then you want to go all the time, but if you take a week off it's hard to start going again.keep it up and you'll kick ass at that triathalon.goodluck.

The best thing is to do your cardio on a day you dont lift weights. 3 days of weights, 4 days of cardio/4 days of weights, 3 days of cardio/3 days of weights, 3 days of cardio. That way you get the most out of both sessions. Hard to explain the reason in english, but its true.You should atleast have one day without cardio where you only lift weights with your legs, squat etc. Use weights so you can do 3x20 or 4x20. Then you get muscles with good stamina. Gl

The best thing is to do your cardio on a day you dont lift weights. 3 days of weights, 4 days of cardio/4 days of weights, 3 days of cardio/3 days of weights, 3 days of cardio. That way you get the most out of both sessions. Hard to explain the reason in english, but its true.You should atleast have one day without cardio where you only lift weights with your legs, squat etc. Use weights so you can do 3x20 or 4x20. Then you get muscles with good stamina. Gl
This is pretty much right on. But if you must do them both on the same day then you would genereally do cardio after resistance. But that is mainly so you aren't fatigued too much to lift optimally.You can always stick to body weight stuff like push ups, crunches, chin ups, etc. for the first few weeks to let your muscles slowly work up to the increased demands then start to phase in some weight training.
QFTI would mix up the days for the best results.If you work out 5/7 days, do Cardio Weight Cardio Weight CardioThe point is that it gives each group of muscles more time to rest.
QFTI would mix up the days for the best results.If you work out 5/7 days, do Cardio Weight Cardio Weight CardioThe point is that it gives each group of muscles more time to rest.
Agreed..that's why I was doing upper body weight on the same days i was doing Cardio, which is almost exclusively a lower body workout.Once i get more into it, i'll make sure to mix things up.

somebody else already posted it, but the main reason for saving the cardio for last is so you don't use all your energy doing cardio that you need for lifting. you can always ride a stationary bike while tired.having said that though, I never do cardio and weights in the same day. well, not technically. I lift mondays wednesdays and fridays, and cardio on tuesdays and thursdays. however, when I lift I've been doing the whole circuit training thing where you move from one exercise to another with no rest. that shit is tough, but I've lost like an inch around my waist just in january.

Now that my last kid has moved out, I have room for the exercise equipment I had in the garage.I brought out the Ab Lounge, did 3 sets of 15 reps.Now it's is day 3 of the rest cycle. Tomorrow I hit it again.This is torture.My midsection is screaming in pain.

Now that my last kid has moved out, I have room for the exercise equipment I had in the garage.I brought out the Ab Lounge, did 3 sets of 15 reps.Now it's is day 3 of the rest cycle. Tomorrow I hit it again.This is torture.My midsection is screaming in pain.
Is this in the naked room? Because I just pictured you doing the Ab Lounge naked.......................
Is this in the naked room? Because I just pictured you doing the Ab Lounge naked.......................
The ceiling fan learned me a lesson I won't soon forget.Now it's bicycle shorts and sweat bands.

www.crossfit.comThis website has changed my life. I am pretty much the fittest person I know since Ive been doing this about a year. And its all functional applicable strength. I'll let the website do the rest of the talking.

One of my main questions is, should I do cardio first, then weights? or the other way around. Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When I used to go...and I need to start again, btw...I would do some warm up cardio before wights to get the blood flowing and loosen up. After weights, I would do more cardio about 1/2 the time.

I'm tired just reading about the exercise. I play volleyball once a week. I should be using the weight set in the basement, but I am lazy.