Blinds: 200-400Ante: 50Your stack: 4200# of Players at table: 9 The player under the gun limps in for 400. You've seen him limp all of the time with less than premium hands and he's folded to a raise. The player in seat three also limps in for 400. The button limps in for 400. The action is up to you in the small blind and you have A-8 off suit. The big blind, and all of the other players at the table have you covered.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With, what, 1800 in the pot and 200 to flop, making the pot 2k, I'd say folding is not an option for me in this situation, that's the one absolute here. So then it becomes, call, raise, push. Knowing that at least one of my limpers is likely to fold, I could bet out to 2k. It is odd that none of these people attempted a steal - particularly since I am the short stack in the hand - to me that means one of them has a hand. I'd also estimate I am probably behind one of these people at this point, and any one of them can raise me all-in, putting me in hard-decisionville. Eliminate that as a choice, then, for me - I like to make the other guy decide. So all in or complete. Probably behind at least one other person. . . if I was short stacked, I'd push on the grounds it's not getting better before it gets worse...but without a little more info on the size of everyone's stack . . . Someone could cover me very casually. My verdict? I'd complete my blind and try to flop the hand for nearly nothing. Probably not the manly play, but I bet I need a set of 8s to pull ahead.

Isn't there 2250 in the pot?SB-200BB-4003 Limpers-1200Ante-450Ok, now that I realize how much is in the pot, I would complete, then most likely fold on the flop if nothing short of a miracle happened.

This appears to be a disaster waiting to happen, so I voted to fold. I'm sure I can find a better hand and/or better position to play from. I still have 10X the big blind so there is no need to get involved here. If an Ace flops out, what are you going to do then? The best you can hope for is to hit two pair or trip 8's. Even if you hit trip Aces, you either win what's in the pot already or get bounced out of the tournament holding A-8o. That would be pretty damn lame.I wouldn't be opposed to calling and trapping if I hit the flop very hard. Otherwise, I probably check and fold on the flop.

I would call to try and catch a good flop (567 rainbow, all suited with your Ace, 88X, A8x etc). Imagine you had :heartsa: :spades8: and the flop was :hearts5: :hearts6: :hearts7: , can you say: ALL IN, lol. With an all in, the ace would almost definitely be clean as well since you would probably be called by a big pair.Someone could be sitting on a hand so I don't think a raise is good here; however, if someone is sitting on a hand then you can likely bust them with a really good flop.Since it costs so little to call and everyone has you covered, you clearly have the implied odds; however, you would have to tread very carefully if you flopped top pair...

Edited this for the money in pot, was slightly off. reasoning stands though.This position sucks... The UTG Limped, According to The tell provided he's weak.So figuring him for a fold It's 200 to call into a pot of 2250 with 1 player who will probobly fold, and 2 players that we have no reads on.I'm Always wrong on these and this may be no different but I'll continue being honest with these. I would raise it to 2,000.I'm not calling because we know a strong raise is capable of making the BB fold. I'm not Folding because I've got 10x Big Blind, and Ante's are already in place, there's too much potential here. The pots Laying 1-11 for a smooth call, its very good odds pre-flop.I'm Not going all-in because I like to have ammunition post-flop, If I feel they've missed there cards I can fire my last 2200 into the pot and hope I'm right. If I've hit the flop, or some type of promising draw I can play accordingly. If I missed the flop, I'm in SB and Have the powerful Button next hand, so if everything goes wrong I've got 2150 chips play with on the button.

Isn't there 2250 in the pot?SB-200BB-4003 Limpers-1200Ante-450Ok, now that I realize how much is in the pot, I would complete, then most likely fold on the flop if nothing short of a miracle happened.
Good call - I spaced out the antes. My reasoning stands tho.

hmm... i would call here.A-8 offsuit isn't strong enough to push, ESPECIALLY since you're small blind in a nine-handed game (you can afford to wait for a few better spots, especially since the ante is only about 1% of your stack).a raise to 2000 also kills you, both if you only get called by even one person and if someone limp-raises (now you have a very tough decision which is almost always a fold, and you've just wasted 1/2 your stack).since you can't raise, your only options are push or call (folding isn't too smart, i don't think. you're getting strong, strong pot odds as shortstack as well as a cheap price to see a flop... can't ask for much more). since it's not premium enough to push here (especially if someone is sitting on something like A-Q and doesn't mind calling a shortstack's push if they have a lot of chips themselves), i think you have to call.aseem

you can afford to wait for a few better spots, especially since the ante is only about 1% of your stack.
I disagree.. It's costing you 950 chips to make it around the table, thats 1/4 of your stack. Now we don't have any information regarding how close you are to the money, if your already in the money, if your on the bubble etc.. So I looked at it for the perspective that in order to cash, you're going to need to build your stack pretty soon.
a raise to 2000 also kills you, both if you only get called by even one person and if someone limp-raises (now you have a very tough decision which is almost always a fold, and you've just wasted 1/2 your stack).
I don't know how hard that decision is... There will be 8250 in the pot if one person pushes you all-in (atleast that you can win) and you've got 2,200 (roughly). So you're getting 1/4 on your call if you're placed in this situation.The reason I feel just calling is a bad option is because of what Daniel Wrote above.
The player under the gun limps in for 400. You've seen him limp all of the time with less than premium hands and he's folded to a raise.
So this player is actually put in a very tough decision, He still has two limpers behind him to act, the only way he can feel confident even calling is with a very strong hand, knowing he might be pushed in as well. Judging from the knowledge we have on this player he has a weak hand, therefore he's probobly going to Fold.That leave you with the possibility of two players seeing the flop with you, Seeing the flop heads up against one other player, or You being pushed in by one of the players. So I think raising to 2k is still the right move. You're Eliminating one player who is probobly going to fold if you raise, so get him out of the pot. The last player could have limped with nearly anything, with that much money in the pot J-10 Suited wouldn't be a had hand to try to see a flop with. I'm not pinning any of these players on terribly strong hands, I take my chances. By raising to 2k, I believe you're giving yourself the best chance to win this pot, if not pre-flop certainly post flop. You won't have to contend with 3 players acting behind you after the flop. By just calling you Really need to hit this flop strong to have a chance at winning it, I don't think you could take this pot down with 3 to act behind you unless you hit 2 pair or better.Just my thoughts... this is really a good question

actually jweb, it only costs you 450 to go around the table. other than that, your points are well noted. tough decision.i guess my biggest problem is that i just see raising to 2k as somewhat weak (not raising all of your chips), even though you know that you'll most likely have to either call the rest of your chips (if someone reraises) or push on almost any flop anyway. i don't think it's VERY likely that everyone will fold, though it's possible (depends on the stack sizes).aseem

Bet it out... if you isolate to only a few players and the flop hits you, push it... if not try to use your position to your advantage. You leave yourself outs here if you get played back at, where as pushing it now leaves you at the mercy of at least 2 hands.It's tempting to push it preflop, but with all those limpers someone has to call, leaving you with a vulnerable situation against at least 2 unknown quantitities.The problem becomes that it looks like a steal here, especially if you go all in, which means you may get at least one call from marginal or stronger draw. Your hand becomes vulnerable because teh pot odds wills be off and makes it justifiable for a less than stellar hand to call. A large raise here makes it look LESS like a steal and more like a stronger hand, if you're sitting in the other guy's seat. Deep in tourneys, I look at all-ins as protecting your vulnerable hands and large raises in comparison to stack as putting enticing bets out there to bait you into hands you're probably going to lose unless you've got a premium hand. It depends on the feel of other players against you and how your table image looks. If you're tight this is a place most of them are going to run unless they're getting GREAT odds. If you're loose, you'll get a lot of calls. You have to be conscious of what your image is. If it's loose, it's a call and a large bet or push if the flop hits you.

Wait... can U explain why it's only costing 450?200-400 Blinds and 50 Ante?  Am I missing something here?
ah, i didn't include the blinds. i just meant you can go seven more hands, putting in around 1% of your stack each hand.aseem

I love these quizes, I really do.I can not begin to tell you how much they have improved my game. I almost always win with Jacks because of quiz #2 that I got all wrong. I use to play scared. Now I am considered quite aggressive.I would raise to the 2K. Here are my reasonings, which I am sure I will get blasted for, but that is OK because this is how I learn. I have 3 limpers. I am thinking that 1 or 2 of them are on a drawing situation. Maybe a small suited connector, maybe a queen 10 offsuit or just someone having a feeling and wanting to see a flop. If I want my ace to hold up to anything, I need to get a couple of them (if not all of them) to fold.Now... If I go all in, someone may call my bluff. I think all in is way too much and it would show that you are weak.However, by raising to 2k, I am showing confidence. I feel most will fold. I also feel that my Ace 8 may work out heads up with whoever calls. I really don't think anyone has a pocket pair and I am pretty sure no one has Ace k-10. The only person I am really worried about is the big blind. It's a risk, but I think pushing to 2k is my only option of winning this pot.

Once the action is up to you, there is 2250 in the pot, giving you 11-1 to call, and if you raise to 2000, you still face someone limp/raising, and can easily be in a dominated position with someone limping with A-9, A-10 or above, I really dont think you are that strong at this point to raise with and be faced with someone else pushing back at you, or even someone calling and missing a flop, you'd be left with half your stack, I think the best option here is to just call, and hope to hit the flop.

You have 3 limpers, one of them is bound to have something. Plus the fact that you're a small stack will increase the chances they will call b/c they probably know you're getting desperate relative to the blinds. So moving all-in or raising 50% of your stack is not my choice. I wouldn't call with A8 either b/c it would cost 10% of your stack and even if you do hit the A on the flop your kicker is not that great. Not worth the risk. Folding is my choice. P.S. In 9 quizzes I have never gotten one correct so take this with a grain of salt!!

You have to raise here, the only question is if you push or stop n' go.I can't believe people are seriously talking about completing or even folding. There's 2250 in the pot and you have 4000 left. Nobody's shown any strength. You have real folding equity - if you push you're giving everyone less than 2-1 on their moneyIf you put your opponents on a calling range of AA-66, AKo-AJo, AKs-ATs, KQs-KJs, KQo, then you're getting 1.5-1 (because of all the dead money) as a 1.75-1 dog. You lose about 400 chips when called heads up. You gain 2250 chips when you steal the pot. 18% fold equity is the breakeven point. If you steal the pot 35% of the time, you make 525 chips by pushing.

I would definitely move in here. If anyone had a good hand they would have raised after the limp UTG. Maybe the last guy calls you with a hand like kq/kj or 55. But i would have to assume someone with 99 or higher, and and an ace strong enough to call your all in, would have raised after the limper. If you can steal here, yuo will increase your stack by 50%. Easy decision, IMO.

There is only one flop that will help you...A + 8. Any other situation and you are both out of position and probably out kicked. If an ace falls you are screwed and will only lose more.Your flush opportunities will require you to exhaust your stack calling.No straight options.Fold and fold fast.Now, if you provided me more info on the money situation I might go all in. Am I already in the money? Would a gamble here put me in position to hit the payoff cliff? If yes to both of these, then go for it...

Figure it this way. You're being laid 11:1 on completing the bet and there is virtually no way that A8o is a worse than 11:1 dog so the call likely has a very good EV if you expect the BB to check behind you. If you miss the flop you can get away from the hand almost as cheaply as if you hadn't played it at all.My only stipulation for calling, and this could be just me, is that if I don't hit the flop I am NOT going to take a stab at it. I don't have a good enough read on the other players in the hand to realistically assess whether ANY type of flop helped them or not. So it's either make a good enough hand to push my last 4000 in the pot or check and fold, no other options for me after making the call.

Figure it this way. You're being laid 11:1 on completing the bet and there is virtually no way that A8o is a worse than 11:1 dog so the call likely has a very good EV if you expect the BB to check behind you. If you miss the flop you can get away from the hand almost as cheaply as if you hadn't played it at all.
Had this quiz been about a Cash Game, I'd agree with you 100%. This is a tournament though.. So You have to look at this differently (unless ofcourse it would be a freezeout, which Daniel would have mentioned).So with that in mind... is it still correct so just call here? Citing your example of the 11:1 odds?

I love these quizzes as well. I really do. I think there's a legitimate case for all the options.Fold, because A8o is still A8o.Call, because of pot odds.Push, because you do have an ace and they could fold for a 2x pot bet.I think I give the edge towards just calling. I think it's unlikely the BB will raise the pot with this many people in the hand (unless he has a good reason to, which is more than enough to let us know we're no good if it happens). I also prefer post-flop play, and just calling gives us the ammunition to do it. Plus, if we miss, then it's a good thing we didn't push preflop, we can get away from the hand for basically the same amount of chips left.

i say go all-in. 2250 in the pot all limpers... i have A8o i push here UTG folds, which leaves BB, seat 3 and button left... the only hands im really scared of is A9-AK: where im a 70-30 to 3-1 dog AA-88: where im a 94-6 to 70-30 dog77-22: 57-43 to 52-48 dog COIN FLIPthose are the only real hands to be afraid of and i dont there will be 2 limpers especially one with position that will slow play AA-99 or AK, AQ. the BB could have anything... seat 3 probably has low pocket pair 55 or less, OR mid suited connectors...the button could just be wanting to see a cheap flop with suited connectors, real low pocket pair 33 or 22, or maybe A9s= 71-29 YOU ARE DOGA8s= 53-47 YOU ARE DOGA7s-A2s= 37-62 YOU ARE FAVKJs= 46-54 YOU ARE FAVORITEKTs= 46-54 YOU ARE FAVORITEQJs= 47-53 YOU ARE FAVORITEQTs= 47-53 YOU ARE FAVORITEJTs = 48-52 YOU ARE FAVORITEso i say push it all in... if no one calls u take the pot which with ur all in makes it 6200, so now ur stack is a bit more respectable. and if 1 person calls and u win your stack is 10,150. if 2 call and u win you have 14k and are sitting pretty. the only drawback to this is that you are pushing with a hand that is statistically 91st out of all 169 hands. so that means there are better hands out there so you could wait for a better hand, seeing as how over half the hands in holdem are better then A8o. waiting may increase your chance for a win, but with 3950 all in is still enough to maybe have everyone fold.also each hand listed above is a statistically better hand then A8o. A9s- 19; A8s- 24,statistically better BUT YOU ARE FAVORED OVER THEM HEADS UP A7s-30, A6s-34, A5s-28, A4s-32, A3s-33 A2s-39, KJs- 9, KTs- 14, QJs- 13, QTs- 15, JTs- 16i say push here hit an A on the turn and take ur 6200 to dominate the tourney.

Announcements