Strange Hand In Stars $4.40 180-man.

feral_cow_icon.gifConverting hands till the cows come homePokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($4.00+$0.40) t150/t300 ante t25 - 8 playersBB NDCFunk: t8,821 UTG rodguifaa: t24,063 UTG+1 ShooterrrNJ: t12,821 MP charliebunti: t17,468 HJ Randroid02: t6,186 CO kdg35: t5,850 Button L'éternité: t3,350 SB Hero: t16,900 Preflop: (t650) Hero is SB with :qh:D (8 players)rodguifaa folds, ShooterrrNJ raises to t600, 2 folds, kdg35 calls t600, L'éternité folds, Hero raises to t1500, NDCFunk folds, ShooterrrNJ calls t900, kdg35 calls t900Flop: (t5,000) :D:4h:5c (3 players)Hero checks, ShooterrrNJ checks, kdg35 checksTurn: (t5,000) :club: (3 players)Hero checks, ShooterrrNJ bets t2000, kdg35 folds, Hero raises to t5000, ShooterrrNJ raises to t11296 and is all-in, Hero calls t6296River: (t27,592) :3h (2 players)ShooterrrNJ showed :ts:D, and lost with a full house, Eights full of KingsHero showed :jh:D, and won (27592) with a full house, Kings full of EightsHero won t27592UTG+1 was 31/23 over 13, and CO was 23/0 over 13, so basically randoms. Tourney was a higher level, so play was tighter. I was playing a pretty tight image too, but I don't think I played anything the last 13 hands, so basically I was an unknown random as well. Raised to try to see what the limpers were up to. Go 2 calls, so I am thinking they must have something decent. Since I was OOP on the flop, plan was to check/raise, but everyone checked. Same plan on the turn, since I did not think the 8 helped anyone. UTG+1 check/insta-jams, so I m thinking WTF? KQ, AK, some weird flush draw?? Was damn surprised to see what he flipped over. Guess I played to slow and let him catchup?? That's my thinking. Probably way off and wrong, so help me fix that.

Rule # 1 of a 4.40, or any micro tournament.....do not slow play,especially with only top pair. There's merit for doing it occasionally, this not being one of them. Bet, bet , bet for value. People play hands in spots that they have no business being in. People will pay you off with the most ridiculous hands in ridiculous spots, so make them pay.

Rule # 1 of a 4.40, or any micro tournament.....do not slow play,especially with only top pair. There's merit for doing it occasionally, this not being one of them. Bet, bet , bet for value. People play hands in spots that they have no business being in. People will pay you off with the most ridiculous hands in ridiculous spots, so make them pay.
sticky IMO

Check/raising is not (intentionally at least) slow playing....its faster than betting. The problem in this hand even if you wanted to check/raise is that its highly unlikely anybody is going to bet for you and youve turned it into a slow-play. min-raiser and his caller did not reraise pf. You raised OOP, showing great strength...it is much too small a PF raise to be a squeeze, even if players at this level would think "squeeze". `The only exception would be if the min-raiser is super-spewy and will semi-bluff into two players including a PF raiser...again highly unlikely.So given that there is a good chance that the check/raise becomes a slow play, you have to invoke Rule #1 of slowplaying at any level: Dont slowplay if the most likely improvement villains can make are to hands that beat you. This is a prime example of that. The only likely cards that definitely improve villains hand but dont beat you are two aces. (Given the PF action someone having both an 8 and 3 to improve to two pair that you beat would be incredibly lucky, and if you got any action you still couldnt be overly aggressive because of the trips possibility.) The Ac could have you beat, and even the As makes a possible river flush draw. Anything else that improves villain is to flush or set. There are a couple of other "adages" that come into play on this hand that make check/raising inferior to just check/calling (the min-raiser) imo: 1. Small pots for small hands. You are rarely improving to a monster hand, and should think about pot control against the min-raiser. You're never folding to any bet of the small stack, so pot control isnt an issue.2. WA/WB hands call for checking. Yes, there is a flush draw out there and you may not be WA...but who is likely to have 2 clubs? Only the min-raiser. The small stack doesnt have the implied odds PF to play suited connectors so he would have to have Axcc to be a real threat for a flush draw. and given that he would perceive 2 outs he doesnt really have you dont hate his semi-bluff.So my preferred line on this hand is check/call if min-raiser is still in the hand when it gets back to you, or check/push if its just the small stack and you.

3-bet big preflop. Bet this flop all day long. Keep pressure on, take pots down early, get value. Don't give free cards and leave people with easy decisions.Flat turn, as played. Maybe they're bluffing, maybe they have a marginal hand, maybe you've been coolered. Don't see a big advantage in raising at this point. Flat to keep weak hands in and protect yourself from losing more than you need to if villain flopped a set or has an eight.River, in this case, would kinda play itself.

Check/raising is not (intentionally at least) slow playing....its faster than betting. The problem in this hand even if you wanted to check/raise is that its highly unlikely anybody is going to bet for you and youve turned it into a slow-play. min-raiser and his caller did not reraise pf. You raised OOP, showing great strength...it is much too small a PF raise to be a squeeze, even if players at this level would think "squeeze". `The only exception would be if the min-raiser is super-spewy and will semi-bluff into two players including a PF raiser...again highly unlikely.So given that therehttp://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/style_images/pokervt/folder_editor_images/rte-bold.png is a good chance that the check/raise becomes a slow play, you have to invoke Rule #1 of slowplaying at any level: Dont slowplay if the most likely improvement villains can make are to hands that beat you. This is a prime example of that. The only likely cards that definitely improve villains hand but dont beat you are two aces. (Given the PF action someone having both an 8 and 3 to improve to two pair that you beat would be incredibly lucky, and if you got any action you still couldnt be overly aggressive because of the trips possibility.) The Ac could have you beat, and even the As makes a possible river flush draw. Anything else that improves villain is to flush or set. There are a couple of other "adages" that come into play on this hand that make check/raising inferior to just check/calling (the min-raiser) imo: 1. Small pots for small hands. You are rarely improving to a monster hand, and should think about pot control against the min-raiser. You're never folding to any bet of the small stack, so pot control isnt an issue.2. WA/WB hands call for checking. Yes, there is a flush draw out there and you may not be WA...but who is likely to have 2 clubs? Only the min-raiser. The small stack doesnt have the implied odds PF to play suited connectors so he would have to have Axcc to be a real threat for a flush draw. and given that he would perceive 2 outs he doesnt really have you dont hate his semi-bluff.So my preferred line on this hand is check/call if min-raiser is still in the hand when it gets back to you, or check/push if its just the small stack and you.
You know its a 3 bet pot and we have top-top. yes? Why would we ever do anything except bet unless we had a super specific read?

1) Raise more when OOP PF.2) why would you check a draw board when you were the initial raiser??? Any FD would just check and take the free card... At these stakes people will call you with any two cards preflop as long as they are suited.

cbet the f*cking flop. get it in.