anyone still in the christmas mood? me too.

Has anyone ever heard "The Gift of the Magic"? Talk about a cliffhanger… Why would they leave it on such an upsetting note? Here's a summery of the original version that I found:"Gift of the Magic, The (abridged)by: O.Henry, More Sower's SeedsA story is told about a young married couple whose names are Jim and Della. They are poor but very much in love with each other.As Christmas approaches, Della wonders what to get Jim for Christmas. She would like to give him a watch chain for his gold watch, but she doesn't have enough money. Then she gets an idea. She has beautiful long hair. So Della decides to cut off her hair and sell it to buy the fancy chain for Jim's watch.On Christmas Eve she returns home, and in her hand is beautiful box containing a gold watch chain which she purchased by selling her hair. Suddenly Della begins to worry. She knows Jim admired her long hair, and she wonders if he will be disappointed that she cut it off and sold it.Della climbs the final flight of stairs leading to their tiny apartment. She unlocks the door and is surprised to find Jim home and waiting for her. In his hand is a neatly wrapped box containing his gift he purchased for her.When Della removes her scarf Jim sees Della's short hair, and tears well up in his eyes. But she says nothing. He chokes back the tears and gives Della the gift box.When Della opens it, she can't believe her eyes. There in the box is a set of beautiful silver combs for her long hair.And when Jim opens his gift, he, too, is astonished. There inside the box is a beautiful gold chain for his gold pocket watch. Only the does Della realize that Jim pawned his gold watch to buy her the silver hair combs.Far more beautiful than the gifts is the love they symbolize."Why is this story "beautiful"? It's a jerk off. He gets screwed, she gets screwed—everybody loses. They're obviously destitute, but now she's ugly and he's late. It's clear something horrible happens, but they never say what. I can't end this story well, as that would compromise the "beauty" of the story, but I can follow it to its certain conclusion, and provide the closure you need.Jim stared at Della, never braking his reproachful glare, until he realized he could never bring himself to beat her, even though he'd never wanted anything so badly in his life—not his watch, not even his wife's hair back. Della sat under his hateful gaze, afraid to move—realizing that even though he likely wouldn't hit her; he could never look at her the same again. He could never look at her again, period. Neither said anything for what seemed like hours (no one knows, because Jim sold the only watch they had, just so he could buy useless combs, or brushes, or some shit), until Jim broke the silence with an agonized 'I'll stay with my brother'.The two never spoke again.Della was unable remarry or land a job, due to her unsightly appearance. She was unable to afford a proper hat, and died the following Christmas, reportedly from the scarlet fever. 'Her head was so cold…' the doctor said.Jim was disowned by most of his family, because he pawned their heirloom watch, and although his brother took his side, at first, he soon tired of Jim's newfound drinking, and Jim was forced to find his own apartment. Jim bounced from job to job, well into his sixties, until a bookie named Kewlaide killed him for unknown reasons.No one EVER tells the end. Festive, yes?