Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

2009 Depth Chart Catcher Ryan Doumit 1st Base Adam LaRoche 2nd Base Freddy Sanchez/Luis Cruz/Brian Bixler 3rd Base Andy LaRoche SS Jack Wilson/Brian Bixler/Luis Cruz LF Nyjer Morgan/Steve Pearce/Brandon Moss CF Nate McLouth/Steve Pearce RF Brandon Moss/Steve Pearce Starting Rotation Paul Maholm (L) Zach Duke (L) Ian Snell ® Jeff Karstens ® Tom Gorzelanny (L) Relief Pitcher John Grabow (L) Tyler Yates ® Craig Hansen ® Sean Burnett (L) Phil Dumatrait (L) Closer Matt Capps ® Discuss

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God help them. Baseball was my sport growing up but it's just so screwed up now. Anytime you have a player (Arod - 28 mil) making more than a team (Marlins 21 mil) there's something wrong.But when you heading into you 17th straight year of losing you can't blame it on the $$$. The entire pirates organization has made some terrible terrible moves over more than half my life and I wonder how old I'll be when they win again.

2009 Depth Chart Catcher Ryan Doumit 1st Base Adam LaRoche 2nd Base Freddy Sanchez/Luis Cruz/Brian Bixler 3rd Base Andy LaRoche SS Jack Wilson/Brian Bixler/Luis Cruz LF Nyjer Morgan/Steve Pearce/Brandon Moss CF Nate McLouth/Steve Pearce RF Brandon Moss/Steve Pearce Starting Rotation Paul Maholm (L) Zach Duke (L) Ian Snell ® Jeff Karstens ® Tom Gorzelanny (L) Relief Pitcher John Grabow (L) Tyler Yates ® Craig Hansen ® Sean Burnett (L) Phil Dumatrait (L) Closer Matt Capps ® Discuss
Ugh. I'm trying to forget this team actually exists. I've never heard of any of the RF's or LF's, btw.
I've never heard of the players in bold, and that's not saying that I know the others, I just have heard of their names at some point at least.They certainly have a lotta southpaws.
I hear they're talking to Ken Caminiti's corpse, too.I'm one of the 2 or 3 biggest Pirates fans here, and I think they're gonna make a run at 110 losses. They have 2 guys that'll hit 20 HRs, 1 guy that'll hit over .300, and a bunch of guys that would be riding the bench for half of baseball's AAA team.
I hear they're talking to Ken Caminiti's corpse, too.I'm one of the 2 or 3 biggest Pirates fans here, and I think they're gonna make a run at 110 losses. They have 2 guys that'll hit 20 HRs, 1 guy that'll hit over .300, and a bunch of guys that would be riding the bench for half of baseball's AAA team.
I agree. I dont know why we cant win like Minnesota every year. We basically have the same payroll as them (maybe lower) but they still seem to be in contention every year. We need to start developing players through our farm system.
I agree. I dont know why we cant win like Minnesota every year. We basically have the same payroll as them (maybe lower) but they still seem to be in contention every year. We need to start developing players through our farm system.
pitching.
They won't be THAT bad..the offense should be somewhat respectable...some potential in there.
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy,138058Pittsburgh PiratesEnjoy the Super Bowl afterglow, Pittsburgh. The Pirates will slouch into spring training very soon, ending the official period of celebration.There are few reasons for optimism if you're a Bucs fan. Fantasy owners are interested in OF Nate McLouth (ADP 59.7), C Ryan Doumit (120.9), RP Matt Capps (149.4) and a pair of 22-year-old prospects, OF Andrew McCutchen and 3B Pedro Alvarez. But that's it, really. The rest of Pittsburgh's roster is just a sad collection of LaRoches, low-ceiling veterans and sketchy left-handers. None of the team's offseason acquisitions -- OF/1B Eric Hinske, 2B/SS/3B Ramon Vazquez, OF Craig Monroe, RHP Virgil Vasquez, LHP Donald Veal, C Jason Jaramillo -- will deserve serious consideration in mixed leagues. If things break just right for Hinske and Vazquez, maybe they'll play their way onto NL-only rosters. Let's not pretend that they're worth detailed discussion in a fantasy feature, though. You like the multi-position eligibility, but you can't possibly like the career rates. The 67-win Pirates seem to have spent the offseason treading water. They might be interested in Pedro Martinez, but not at his asking price, whatever it is. Honestly, it's tough to even identify a current player whose image might lure readers to this particular Hot Stove Helper. Perhaps you can be enticed by the Cobra. If you're at all enthusiastic about the 2009 Bucs, please comment …Ouch.....I will still draft some Buccos
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm glad they went back to sleeves. the sleeveless was and still is horrible. It's a good thing that they will only be worn on Sundays.
  • 5 weeks later...

Opening day roster (depth chart)Rotation1. P. Maholm (I predict 16 wins)2. I. Snell3. Z. Duke4. R. Ohlendorf5. J. KarstensBullpenBullpenM. Capps (CL) (I predict 29 saves)J. GrabowT. YatesS. BurnettC. HansenD. VealJ. Chavez1st base ~ Adam La Roche2nd base ~ Freddy SanchezShortstop ~ Jack Wilson3rd base ~ Andy La RocheLeft field ~ Nyjer MorganCenter field ~ Nate Mc ClouthRight field ~ Brandon MossCatcher ~ Ryan DoumitMonroe looks like the sleeper outfielder. He is having an awesome spring and could replace Morgan or Moss if they start slumping.