Early In Tourney Again

Absolute PokerNo Limit Holdem TournamentBlinds: t10/t209 playersConverterSuper Early in tourney, myself and villain are both at 1500.Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with :club::)2 folds, MP1 calls t20 (pot was t30), 3 folds, Hero raises to t80, 2 folds, MP1 calls t60 (pot was t130).Flop: :) :) :D (t190, 2 players)MP1 bets t20, Hero calls t20 (pot was t210).Turn: :D (t230, 2 players)MP1 checks, Hero bets t160, MP1 calls t160 (pot was t390).River: :D (t550, 2 players)MP1 checks, Hero checks.How I do? What does villain have?

Absolute PokerNo Limit Holdem TournamentBlinds: t10/t209 playersConverterSuper Early in tourney, myself and villain are both at 1500.Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with :club::)2 folds, MP1 calls t20 (pot was t30), 3 folds, Hero raises to t80, 2 folds, MP1 calls t60 (pot was t130).Flop: :) :) :D (t190, 2 players)MP1 bets t20, Hero calls t20 (pot was t210).Turn: :D (t230, 2 players)MP1 checks, Hero bets t160, MP1 calls t160 (pot was t390).River: :D (t550, 2 players)MP1 checks, Hero checks.How I do? What does villain have?
I would probably raise the flop, but calling isn't terrible either..Turn is fine w/ the flop play...I would value bet the river though..No draws filled up and I don't think a five is really in his range...I would probably bet 300 on the river
What does that do for me?
Gives you information about his hand...You can probably be pretty sure he has a Jack at least if he calls this raise..By calling we have no info and he could be donkbetting a made hand and we don't know..It also makes it look like you have an overpair and you mean business..Edit: Sheeeeeeeet I didn't even notice the hearts...I hate calling on the flop even more now..I wouldn't raise to 200 like Actuary said, more like 150 or so, but its pretty close to that amount

I'm really surprised at the responses...gives me a lot to think about.This is PURELY results oriented thinking, but I don't like raising on the flop because when the turn comes a K and gives me TPTK plus the second nut flush draw I can do the feeler bet to see what he has. When he calls I'm nervous about either a flush or the Ace of Hearts. My thinking behind calling the flop was that I wanted a free card to see what came, so calling a donkey minbet definitely worked for me. That seems to be frowned upon. No one thinks the minimum bet smells like a made hand?

Edit: Sheeeeeeeet I didn't even notice the hearts...I hate calling on the flop even more now..I wouldn't raise to 200 like Actuary said, more like 150 or so, but its pretty close to that amount
Indeed. I didn't notice the heart flop either. Raise the flop.
Indeed. I didn't notice the heart flop either. Raise the flop.
What is more likely: donk minbet with a made flush, donk minbet with a pair and no hearts, or donk minbet with a pair and the ace of hearts?I had a REAL strong feeling that that villain was representing strength here. Do I just get trapped more than most of you, or does someone think villain has at least the ace of hearts if not a made flush?
What is more likely: donk minbet with a made flush, donk minbet with a pair and no hearts, or donk minbet with a pair and the ace of hearts?I had a REAL strong feeling that that villain was representing strength here. Do I just get trapped more than most of you, or does someone think villain has at least the ace of hearts if not a made flush?
A min-bet of 20 chips into a 200 chip pot doesn't really tell me anything. I mean, it's 10% of the pot and completely irrelevent to my stack - so it doesn't say anything other than he's an idiot.If you raise and represent strength, then his call would be a signal for you to slow down. Odds are you'll usually take it down right then and there, which in the long term is +EV. I'd value bet the turn with the K, and see if he raises me (just as you did). And if he called the flop raise, called the turn, I'd check behind on the river and hope to win at a showdown.

I consider the min-bet the same thing as if he checked to me. I would fire a CB on that flop especially since you have the Kh.I bet the turn and bet the river as that 5 probably didn't help him.

I consider the min-bet the same thing as if he checked to me. I would fire a CB on that flop especially since you have the Kh.I bet the turn and bet the river as that 5 probably didn't help him.
This is where I thought you and IQ were wrong: he chose to min-bet rather than check. He's not a monkey randomly clicking buttons, he made the choice to min-bet deliberately. My thoughts at the time were either a) The min-bet was a really lame blocker bet with the Ace of Hearts, or B) a sign of obscene strength demonstrated weirdly.
you played it fine, wouldnt suggest betting the river like suggested ealier.....no reason to really bet the flop either, it smells of a trap and your 160 bet made him think he could check/r all in on river.
your play is weakget that stuff outta here."i'm bringing sexy back.those other posters don't know how to actThey think they can playBut there advice is whack"
your play is weakget that stuff outta here."i'm bringing sexy back.those other posters don't know how to actThey think they can playBut there advice is whack"
hahhahaa POTD

you would do well to heed my advice early in the tourney and not play so recklessly.the raise to 160 made the pot plenty large enough for the danger there, learn to accept a pot as being big enough and not ruin your chances on one hand.get on my level son :club:

Since, as we know, results are the only thing that matters, he had a flopped ace high flush.Holyfield was right, as was I. Although the consensus seems to be that I played it wrong. Thanks to everyone who gave me something to think about.

thanks for the validation spiderguard.....we sure owned them
cartoon.No.What you are less capable of than the more experienced posters on here is looking at a hand objectively. You advise like a little girl. We all suspect he lost; but are able to still look at the hand objectively.And if you are just goof'en, well, lol..shut up.**********************8
Holyfield was right, as was I.
fearing the monsters under the bed and being valdated by the results is not "being right" It's random chance.Raise that flop 100% of the time in that circumstanceMost of the time opponent does not have 2 hearts, but they have 1 way too much for you to just call.

im an experienced professional player and i know english, i think that qualifies my advice.you dont bluff at every single pot, and bet every single pot for information.....not to mention this is early in the tournament. its called a dangerous board for a reason.you dont have to win every hand by making the other guy fold , you will run into trouble with your reckless style. at least wait til its short handed for that. your style will just be handing away money to people who know how to make proper reads.as i said before, get on my level then we can talk

im an experienced professional player and i know english, i think that qualifies my advice.as i said before, get on my level then we can talk
regardless of your "professional" status, when you give bad advice, I will point it out. I hope you extend the same courtesy.