Stars Double Shootout, 9-handed Final Table

Absent of reads on player...PokerStars Game #4512444876: Tournament #22401729, Hold'em No Limit - Match Round II, Level IV (50/100) - 2006/04/03 - 21:10:04 (ET)Table '22401729 1' 10-max Seat #3 is the buttonSeat 1: Jimmy Lobo (2620 in chips) Seat 2: jjgoldy5 (1330 in chips) Seat 3: avictor (1030 in chips) Seat 4: harahan3 (2305 in chips) Seat 5: Moles_Knows (1370 in chips) Seat 6: cardsoup (1385 in chips) Seat 7: kierand (1700 in chips) Seat 8: Faraday (2070 in chips) Seat 9: xtreme2004 (1190 in chips) harahan3: posts small blind 50Moles_Knows: posts big blind 100*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to jjgoldy5 [Ts Th]cardsoup: folds kierand: folds Faraday: raises 200 to 300xtreme2004: folds Jimmy Lobo: folds Hero....?

Is this one of the 10-15 dollar double shootouts or one of the 160 dollar ones? If the former, push, if the latter, fold. I'm surprised at everyone saying push. You've got one of the better stacks raising from early-mid position, against a blind who is considerably shorter. I think that you have 0 fold equity since, with that many short stacks acting behind him, there's no way that villain is raising with a hand unless he's comfortable calling a push with it. I guess 88 or 99 are possible, but other than that its a coinflip or you're in a world of hurt against an overpair. If its a field of decent players (and the final table of a DS usually is decent) this becomes a pretty easy fold short of a read on villain.

I don't know the payout structure, but I don't think pushing here is a very good play. I don't think we have very much fold equity in this situation, nor do we have first-in vigorish. We still have a bit of room to play with here, so I would fold. :club:

Thanks all.I folded the hand... my line of thinking was AK/AQ and im flipping, AA-JJ im screwed, and I cant see him raising with anything else really from EP 9 handed.Of course I was completely card dead the rest of the tournament.

Thanks all.I folded the hand... my line of thinking was AK/AQ and im flipping, AA-JJ im screwed, and I cant see him raising with anything else really from EP 9 handed.Of course I was completely card dead the rest of the tournament.
You should be happy if you're on the good end of a coinflip at this point in the tournament with your stack. And you could be way ahead. You could also be way behind, but that's why it's called gambling, no?I'm glad you were card dead the rest of the tournament, because it should make you realize you should have stuck it in here.
You should be happy if you're on the good end of a coinflip at this point in the tournament with your stack. And you could be way ahead. You could also be way behind, but that's why it's called gambling, no?I'm glad you were card dead the rest of the tournament, because it should make you realize you should have stuck it in here.
This is the most retarded thing that I've read today. Congratulations!

I don't see what situation is going to come up better than this one. If you're flipping you're flipping, we need chips. Also, I don't think we have 0 fold equity.Villain will be left with these calculations after we move in assuming the button and blinds fold.1780 in the pot, 1030 to call, roughly 1.7:1 on his money. If Villain calls and loses this hand, he will be left with 740 in chips, he may pick a better spot if he has something like AJ or AQ.

I don't see what situation is going to come up better than this one. If you're flipping you're flipping, we need chips. Also, I don't think we have 0 fold equity.Villain will be left with these calculations after we move in assuming the button and blinds fold.1780 in the pot, 1030 to call, roughly 1.7:1 on his money. If Villain calls and loses this hand, he will be left with 740 in chips, he may pick a better spot if he has something like AJ or AQ.
Use your own argument for the villain in this hand, and you will see that he is not folding to our push. There IS 0 fold equity here. Constantly flipping coins near the end of a tournament is a terrible way to play IMO. A flip here or there is usually required, but this is neither the here, nor the there... :club:
Use your own argument for the villain in this hand, and you will see that he is not folding to our push. There IS 0 fold equity here. Constantly flipping coins near the end of a tournament is a terrible way to play IMO. A flip here or there is usually required, but this is neither the here, nor the there... :club:
Our fold equity isn't 0. It's on the low end, but it isn't 0.
Our fold equity isn't 0. It's on the low end, but it isn't 0.
I re-checked the stacks - I thought it was another short-stack from EP. Tis a larger stack at this table from EP, so we MAY have some fold equity...
I re-checked the stacks - I thought it was another short-stack from EP. Tis a larger stack at this table from EP, so we MAY have some fold equity...
hahah, insert foot into mouth, repeat.j/k

Fold to a 200 chip raise?!?! How about a smooth call and see what happens on the flop. Leaves plenty of margin to fold and, if you hit your set, you're laughing.

Smooth call a 300 chip bet and take a flop so we can commit 1/4 our chips, watch an overcard or 2 flop, and watch him continuation bet us out of the pot.Or hit a set 1 out of 7.5 times :club:
FYP, boy i've been spending too much time in general.

I realise hitting a set is 1:8, but it's called gambling. You never know when that set's going to come up. I hit two in a row the other day, consecutive hands. Other times, i won't hit one for what seems an eternity. It's not like you can tick off 7 hands and then count on the next hand to pop you a set.

I realise hitting a set is 1:8, but it's called gambling. You never know when that set's going to come up. I hit two in a row the other day, consecutive hands. Other times, i won't hit one for what seems an eternity. It's not like you can tick off 7 hands and then count on the next hand to pop you a set.
this is a raise or fold problem. calling here is by far the worst choice. gambling on this hand would be sticking it in pre-flop.

Heh...gotcha! I wasn't advocating the call, really. What I was saying was, Why hasn't anyone mentioned that as an option? Clearly, it's the greater of three evils: All-in, fold, call, in that order. Do you concur?

I think no one really mentioned it because everyone already knew it was the worst option.
I see...I'm looking forward to playing some of you guys, if only to see:a) What a rookie I am;B) If some of you play the game anywhere near as good as you talk it.