How To Play Vs A Super Aggressive Guy!

Going to play in a .5 - $1 cash game tonight (8 at the table). And these guys are good (better than me for the most part) I have a couple of guys pegged on how they play. The best buy at the table is tight...so that should be easy to play against. But I worried about the super aggressive guy. He will raise about 98% of the hands pre flop to $7 (no joke)That brings in a couple of questions.How do I play against that? And how much should I but in for?Any other help would be greatThanks in advance!!!

Buy in big ($200) and play small ball with him. What will happen, he will have a big hand (AA, KK) and you will have your 67 suited, flop it big and he will stack off to you. Basics, play position, see flops and out play him if you can. Let him trap himself. My guess, all he knows is aggression and cannot play post flop.Good luck

Buy in big ($200) and play small ball with him. What will happen, he will have a big hand (AA, KK) and you will have your 67 suited, flop it big and he will stack off to you. Basics, play position, see flops and out play him if you can. Let him trap himself. My guess, all he knows is aggression and cannot play post flop.Good luck
Hate to say it but this is probably totally backwards. If he's raising frequently you're going to be running into him with 67s with your big hands a lot. Assuming he is a competent player as OP stated, if he's raising 90%+ of his hands preflop he has to be good postflop to be competent.What you do is start opening your 3betting range in position against this guy, and don't be afraid to go for limp-raises when this guy is going to act behind you. Build the pots big early with him and don't be afraid to stack off lighter than you normally would since most of the pots you will be in with him will be 3 bet pots.

If the players in this game are really better than you, don't play.No SW. It's not worth the anguish if you don't KNOW you have an edge.

Hate to say it but this is probably totally backwards. If he's raising frequently you're going to be running into him with 67s with your big hands a lot. Assuming he is a competent player as OP stated, if he's raising 90%+ of his hands preflop he has to be good postflop to be competent.What you do is start opening your 3betting range in position against this guy, and don't be afraid to go for limp-raises when this guy is going to act behind you. Build the pots big early with him and don't be afraid to stack off lighter than you normally would since most of the pots you will be in with him will be 3 bet pots.
This. My 3-bet/shove range against this guy is going to be very wide. If he's raising 90% of his hands, I'm NOT limping into him with a whole lot with speculative hands -- and I'm pounding him back hard and prob not folding AT - 99+. Maybe much wider when I see some showdowns and get an idea what his range is (and 90% means ATC). Preflop is where you're going to be best against him though. Punish his aggression.

Thanks for the insight guys!!!Bought in for $100..left with $80. I was up $90 at one point. I played super tight... and really tried to have a really good read on the table (I think I did that) Didn't get any hands to be honest with you. but when I did... I played them right except for one A J suited...where I lost most of my money from my super aggressive guy. He raised to $7 (again) 4 other callers and then I re raised to $25 (playing my tight image I have worked hard to get). He calls (after going into the tank) Everyone else folds. Flop comes nothing (junk for my A J) Didn't know what to do..so I bet $40...and goes into the tank again....and calls!!!! :club: .... Now I give up...river comes up junk again...He goes all in..for $16.....Now I know odds tell me to call..but I know I have the worst hand!!! I"m 100% sure of that...so I don't like playing the correct odds and calling even tho I know I'm beat so..I fold...and everyone at the table screas "you can't fold that"!!! but I did...and he turned over A Q ....(he did have me beat)....So I lost a ton there....but..meh....But overall I thought I played well...I had a good read at the table and Played the hands that should of been played and played them well!Any comments would be greatfull!Thanks again!

lol that's what everyone said....I know 99% of the people would and I know why...but for a couple of right reason, and a lot of wrong reasons...I won't (If I think I"m beat) But a fact I failed to mention was that..at that point...I was getting down on my stack aswell...and the $16 was about 20% of my stack.....but I know what you mean. I should of even bet the flop...and I wouldn't of had this problem

Lol @ him raise/calling AQ, tankcalling like 70% of his stack on the flop and then accidentally value-shoving the river without making anything

He raised to $7 (again) 4 other callers and then I re raised to $25 (playing my tight image I have worked hard to get). He calls (after going into the tank) Everyone else folds. Flop comes nothing (junk for my A J) Didn't know what to do..so I bet $40...and goes into the tank again....and calls!!!! :club: .... Now I give up...river comes up junk again...He goes all in..for $16.....Now I know odds tell me to call..but I know I have the worst hand!!! I"m 100% sure of that...so I don't like playing the correct odds and calling even tho I know I'm beat so..I fold...and everyone at the table screas "you can't fold that"!!! but I did...and he turned over A Q ....(he did have me beat)....So I lost a ton there....but..meh....
1. What happened on the turn?2. I think 3-betting preflop larger is better if a raise to $7 and 4 tagalongs = $35 +your $7... make it $35 to $45ish, and with that much action, I'd muck AJss, anyone else?3. Bolded= flawed. It's not that you didn't know what to do, you were continuation betting, no?4. Try to remember the "junk" flop. It's important for reasons like this, a T94dd flop is junk but different than 852rainbow...5. Remember that we need to consider villains range and how it relates to the board and villains/our actions...

Why would you reraise with AJss there? You're turning your hand into a bluff. AJss plays pretty good in a multiway flop, you had the option to take the flop multiway but instead 3bet... for value? As a bluff? Your hand plays very tricky postflop out of position unless you bink a flush draw, J or A high flop. I would have rather you 3bet like K8ss there. But really I'd rather you just call in those spots with great odds. My guess is none of you guys are that great at poker and that people hit the call button a lot. This specific villain is probably more aggressive and the way that you guys adapt is by calling him a lot and then folding when he puts pressure on you which is the absolute worst adjustment to make against someone running the table over. You should prob just not ever 3bet as a bluff, call in position a lot and make him play post flop. Flop a pair and seriously just hit call/call/call and see wtf he's doing and get reads.

I reraised there as I thought I had a great tight table image, and had a chance to take the pot pre-flop. And your assumption of the table to be weak at poker is a little harsh. You maybe correct in the asssumption that I don't play many times a week but the rest of the table is quite seasoned and play many hours a week!! It also wasn't a calling machine table either. For the most part there was some good poker being played by all.But your right I shouldn't of reraised there. Thanks for you input (I think) :club:

On the turn he went all in for $16 (sorry in my original post i messed up, he went all in on the turn not the river)I should a just called preflop..but I thought I had a decent chance of taking it down right there.A good way of going after a super aggressive villian is playing right back at him.....but..I should of raised more than, if I truly had a chance of doing what I had in mind to do

I should a just called preflop..but I thought I had a decent chance of taking it down right there.
Yeah, and look at what tskillz said about AJss, with all those tagalongs, just call preflop; bolded=turning your hand into a bluffYou'll get an opportunity with JJ+ etc to pound the aggrotard, even if it's not that session. I always like to think about that playing live, in my weekly game. It's a marathon not a sprint, so sometimes you just have to wait wait wait wait

I would say that there are two great tactics that work great against an ultra-agressive opponent. Harrington had it right, I don't know if he came up with this or the mayfair club, but there are two great defenses1.Rope-a-dope2.The Hammer Ali is what I envision with the rope-a-dope. He would wait on the ropes and let his opponet take the best of him for a majority of the match then he would unleash the furry. Having wore out the oppenent while he had the best of it all the way he would eventually grind them out and end out on top because of their miscalculation of him. The hammer is where you would say, I've had enough and just push him back. Think of any good Eastwood movie. When he had enough, he wasn't afraid, just determined and sick of the shit. Would you draw as Eastwood has a piece at your head....i think not. Rope-a-dope works with drawish hand, but don't be playing that damn 6-7 suited and expect to be in there long. You have to keep jabbin. The hammer is effective when you don't care. When you have AA or KK and are willing to take your chances against his bullshit. Over the long haul, you win.

My thoughts:- Don't make a bet that leaves you or your opponent with a tiny stack. When determining how much to bet, assess the pot size and stack sizes. If the bet you have chosen is close to an all-in for one of you, just put the rest in there immediately. Allowing a few chips to remain just leads to awkwardness on later streets- like it did in your example.Point: always know how many chips are in all stacks.- When deciding to call an all-in on the river, huge pot odds outweigh everything else.Villain may have missed a draw, in which case your Ace high is best.Huge pot odds mean you only have to be right 1 time out of a bunch to make it the right play.And Ace high will win at least that often.So folding can't be an option.The only time you can fold to such a bet is if you can not beat a bluff.Which means you were bluffing yourself the whole way with something like 7 high.But in this case, his all-in bet was not even on the river!Which means that even if your read is correct and you are behind, you likely still have outs!Which means you can never ever ever fold this turn with those odds.Understand this quickly, else you will lose a lot of money.Point: Calling when you are sure you are behind is still right a lot of times.Because your sense of being "sure" is not as reliable as you think.--CM

How can calling be "correct" If I have the worst hand? I would rather keep my money. Why put my money in when I"m 2nd best?I know what your are saying about odds and I kinda agree with you. But I will always be happy folding a losing hand that in it's self is correct isn't

How can calling be "correct" If I have the worst hand? I
Because when the odds are huge, we have to be almost positive that we are behind.And no matter how brilliant we are, the simple fact is that it is not possible for us to be positive.And we must understand this.We all like to be proud of our reads.We love to be able to boast that we know exactly what he has.But we are kidding ourselves.Sure, we might be right.In fact, we probably are right.But we can't be positive.And this mean that folding against huge odds is always wrong.Exception: If we are ever sitting with 7 high and can't even beat a bluff, then we truly do know that we are behind and can fold against any odds. In this case, it's not our read that we have to be positive of. It's the undesputable fact that our cards are simply ahead of nothing.--cm