Hellmuth Hits a Four.Posted 18 minutes ago by MrCleverFox An under the gun player raised to 1,600. Phil Hellmuth called from under the gun + 2, and a player in middle position reraised over the top for 6,000. Action folded back to the under the gun raiser, who folded. Hellmuth quickly called the extra 4,400.Hellmuth was holding 44 and his opponent had .JJ It wasn't looking good for Hellmuth until the flop fell ."Diamond me," Hellmuth asked the dealer. And the dealer obliged with the on the turn.The river was a brick though, , and Hellmuth scooped the pot.Chip CountsPhil Hellmuth 30,000 16,000 Tags: Phil Hellmuth.Read more: http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/2012-world-series-of-poker/event-2-no-limit-hold-em/If this hand is accurate then I have no idea what in the world PH is thinking. Wow

• Like 1
What were the cards? Seems like they were excised when you copy pasted

An under the gun player raised to 1,600. Phil Hellmuth called from under the gun + 2, and a player in middle position reraised over the top for 6,000. Action folded back to the under the gun raiser, who folded. Hellmuth quickly called the extra 4,400.Hellmuth was holding

4s.gif4c.gif and his opponent had jd.gifjc.gif. It wasn't looking good for Hellmuth until the flop fell 8c.gif4d.gif5s.gif."Diamond me," Hellmuth asked the dealer. And the dealer obliged with the 7d.gif on the turn.The river was a brick though, qh.gif, and Hellmuth scooped the pot.Read more: http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/2012-world-series-of-poker/event-2-no-limit-hold-em/chips.25340.htm

Looks like typical Phil by calling for the trap ... but then the original raiser gives him the green light to 'hopefully' flip for 33% of his stack against a potential steal? I like the diamond call since the J of diamonds is already out ... might have confused a few tablemates as well for a sec. I would hope he would have some story about having a read on the 'stealer' and I don't really think he is in the hand anymore if the original raiser calls the all-in of 6000. Could be he was ready to chip up or chip out ... We will never know as he has had too much time to 'phil' in the blanks on this one. He is only behind 10 other hands at this point!! He is not priced into playing against an overpair by any means ... with calling 4400 into 10K. But he is flipping against any 2 unpaired cards so that price is 'right' ... if he is right about the steal. There might be some positive EV here if he thinks range of the other player is wide ... this could be the start of a very interesting WSOP.Looks like from his tweets that the table was just playing tons of hands ... Chad Brown, others. Doesn't seem too much like Phil, but in a 'small' $1500 tournament maybe he is approaching it differently. That hand was after the dinner break and he was trying to chip up ... looks like a lot of the pros were playing this 'loose' as well JM, VR, Elky ... certainly doesn't look 'standard' by any means ...

Daniel, Phil said he got lucky with that hand in his tweet. Also, we dont know if the player who had the Jacks was playing alot of hands and was getting crazy or not. Lets give the great(sarcasm) PH the benefit of the doubt here. Also, I have to agree with Anwser20, sounds like hes gambling and wants to have alot of chips and a chance to win or get ready for the next tournament. P.S. I am rooting for you Daniel, have a great 2012 WSOP!!!

Id like to know when the money went in.. but wow.. by the sounds of things phil called off more then half of his stack with a pair of 4s pre.Its got me abit confused, i understand calling to potentially take the villians entire stack if a 4 lands.. but calling off such a large chunk of your stack pre is abit questionable.. unless he had some live read of the villian having something like AK or a very wide range.of hands and was calling to out play on the flop.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont see how this is as terrible as you are saying. Allow me to reconstruct the hand to make sure I'm on the same page.Lets say blinds are 300/600 with a 75 ante. Assuming there are 9 players to begin the hand, the pot is ~1575.Utg opens to 1600, Phil calls 1600 utg2, and player In MP jams 6k total.Pot is now 10,775 and phil has to call just 4400 (he's getting 2.5 to 1) more so obviously this cannot be the terrible part in the hand.The only thing you can be referring to, in my estimate, is Phil's flat call of the original raise. Assuming phil gained 9175 chips in this hand (6k+1575+orig raisers 1600) Phil would have started the hand with ~21k (It appears as though Pokernews reported him as having 30k after the hand)Set mining on a stack <40 bbs from utg2 is generally going to be a slightly losing play although it can certainly be argued that it is profitable against weak opponents (who are generally quite rampant in these events).Therefore I can conclude (If my reconstruction of the hand is correct) that this is by no means awful, and in fact fairly standard.I would think that DN has no right to be bashing this type of play when your defends and flat calls on stacks of 30 bbs and less are renowned for being very marginal if not losing in the long run.

• Like 1