7-7 In A 45 Man Sng

Blinds 50-1009-handedViallian ~ 6000 (UTG) He is TAG, but c-bets every pot he plays. He is selective pre-flop, but will c-bet flop regardless.Hero ~ 3400 (OTB) I've played really tight so far, won a big pot early to get to 3000, and have chopped my way up 3400.Hero dealt 7 :club: -7 :D .UTG raises to 300, all fold to Hero OTB, Hero calls hoping to flop a set against a big stack.Flop: (Pot: 700)A :D -K :) -2 :D Villian checks, Hero checks.Turn: (Pot: 700)7 :D Villian checks, Hero bets 400, Villian calls. River: (Pot: 1500)9 :) Villian bets 400. Hero ___ ?Should we flat call or raise?

I hope you're kidding when you suggest flat calling. Do you have any interest in winning this thing? This is about the safest of all safe boards you could ever hope for with your set of 7's. What beats you? Do you really put him on AA, KK or 99? Push. Every day. All day. At LEAST throw a raise in. Calling is retarded.

Blinds 50-1009-handedViallian ~ 6000 (UTG) He is TAG, but c-bets every pot he plays. He is selective pre-flop, but will c-bet flop regardless.Hero ~ 3400 (OTB) I've played really tight so far, won a big pot early to get to 3000, and have chopped my way up 3400.Hero dealt 7 :club: -7 :D .UTG raises to 300, all fold to Hero OTB, Hero calls hoping to flop a set against a big stack.Flop: (Pot: 700)A :D -K :) -2 :D Villian checks, Hero checks.Turn: (Pot: 700)7 :D Villian checks, Hero bets 400, Villian calls. River: (Pot: 1500)9 :) Villian bets 400. Hero ___ ?Should we flat call or raise?
My thinking is your either WA or WB. Pop it.
Does anyone even wanna try to put Villian on a hand?
Not particularly. If he doesn't have AA, KK or 99, I don't really care what he has.Your own comment said you called, hoping to flop a set. Ok, so you didn't flop it, BUT you hit it on the turn for free. What are you questioning here? Get the money in.If this is a bad beat post.... you know the rest.........
If this is a bad beat post.... you know the rest.........
Its not.This guy c-bets EVERY flop, regardless. And all of the sudden he checks a flop that almost has to hit an UTG raising hand. Then he just flat calls the turn. And then bets a TINY little bet on the end. Are alarm bells going off in anyone else's head???
Do you have any interest in winning this thing?
On a side note, winning these types of tournaments is almost 75% FT play. If you can get to the FT with 10-15BBs, pick up some hands you can easily win one of these things... unlike a WPT (with its new structures) event the outer table stack building isn't super important as the blinds get so crazy at the FT.
Blinds 50-100Viallian ~ 6000 (UTG) He is TAG, but c-bets every pot he plays. He is selective pre-flop, but will c-bet flop regardless.
If he really is a TAG, not betting that flop or turn screams AK+, KK+...against that range you are a 55/45 favorite and I'd be inclined to call the river.For this of you who say pop it, how do you respond to a push?
Isn't a call for set value a little thin with your stack size?
Pure set value yes, but there is more to it than that. You can win without having a set. It's an ok call IMO. Folding isn't bad either.
This is either stupid, or it's stupidly brilliant. Either way, I like it.
I thought the "Pop it" on the end was almost self-explanatory. "All you can eat baby!"------------------If you're worried about AA or KK, so be it. My thing is that you said that you were calling in hopes of hitting a set...Heeeellllloooo!! Ding-ding!! Ding-ding!! We have a winner!!------------------Sorry for the joking, but you hit your hand, why be afraid now?
I thought the "Pop it" on the end was almost self-explanatory. "All you can eat baby!"
It was the idea that on the river you are WA/WB that I found funny. As in, you're guaranteed to be either 100% or 0%.

This whole thread is dumb. If he had AA or KK, bbfidts. You called with 77, you hit your set. Put money in the middle. If you're going to flat call or have "alarm bells" going off, FOLD PREFLOP. You can't hit quads every time. (unless I'm the one with AA here and we're playing on Stars - then the riv deffo would have been the 4th 7)

This whole thread is dumb. If he had AA or KK, bbfidts. You called with 77, you hit your set. Put money in the middle. If you're going to flat call or have "alarm bells" going off, FOLD PREFLOP. You can't hit quads every time. (unless I'm the one with AA here and we're playing on Stars - then the riv deffo would have been the 4th 7)
I want him to have AA/KK pre flop. Thats the whole reason for calling with mid-pairs. Do U C Y?The thread isn't dumb, it proves that despite giving away a lot of information about his hand by playing it differently than he usually does, you'd still ship it in a spot where you're either against AA/KK/AK, you can only beat 1 of those...

If I play 77 when short(er) stacked and hit a third 7, unless there are 4 straight cards or 4 flush cards on the board, I'm all in 98% of the time.it's a 45-man sn'g, you're not playing a 10million buyin with ivey et al.

I want him to have AA/KK pre flop. Thats the whole reason for calling with mid-pairs. Do U C Y?
If you had a stack 5x the size that you do, then yes, I could "C Y", but with stacks what they are, you're not getting nearly a good enough price to get as cute as you're trying to (imo)
If I play 77 when short(er) stacked and hit a third 7, unless there are 4 straight cards or 4 flush cards on the board, I'm all in 98% of the time.it's a 45-man sn'g, you're not playing a 10million buyin with ivey et al.
I was at the table with him for 10 levels... he c-bet every flop. If he had QQ, JJ, AQ, TT, AJ he was betting this flop 100% of the time.Does anyone else find his check on the flop, check on the turn, smooth call on the turn, and tiny bet on the end just the LEAST bit suspcious???

If this is AA or KK, i hate how villain played it. I def. c/r the turn w/ either of those hands, probably AK too. I'd put villain on an Ax, x 10+... not necessarily AK. His bet of 400 on the river looks to be a blocker bet w/ an above avg but marginal A. Or maybe he got a little loose w/ KQhh and wants to go to showdown cheaply.Either way, I think smooth calling on the river is pretty weak. He bet <1/3 of the pot... I suppose he could play AA/KK this way, and it would have been a very passively played set. Waiting to see the board brick, and then value betting the river... Most players play that turn more aggressively w/ AA or KK imo.Think about this though: He checked to you twice, feigning weakness. He may think that you were trying to steal the pot on the turn after being checked to twice, he has no reason to think that 7 hit you, most people would simply bet here after being checked to twice. I raise the river, probably 95% of the time. I'd need a relatively rock solid read to smooth-call.

I want him to have AA/KK pre flop. Thats the whole reason for calling with mid-pairs. Do U C Y?The thread isn't dumb, it proves that despite giving away a lot of information about his hand by playing it differently than he usually does, you'd still ship it in a spot where you're either against AA/KK/AK, you can only beat 1 of those...
The way he also bet it could mean that he is holding an underpair like QQ or JJ and really didn't like the flop here. Given that it's late in the tourney he probably doesn't want to spew chips. By you checking behind he probably doesn't think you have an A or K. You bet out on the turn and he's totally unaware that you just hit big.. River he puts another minimum bet, you shove, he probably reluctantly calls with QQ or JJ.Either way, you hit your set and you can't be worried if he also has a set.
If this is AA or KK, i hate how villain played it. I def. c/r the turn w/ either of those hands, probably AK too. I'd put villain on an Ax, x 10+... not necessarily AK. His bet of 400 on the river looks to be a blocker bet w/ an above avg but marginal A. Or maybe he got a little loose w/ KQhh and wants to go to showdown cheaply.Either way, I think smooth calling on the river is pretty weak. He bet <1/3 of the pot... I suppose he could play AA/KK this way, and it would have been a very passively played set. Waiting to see the board brick, and then value betting the river... Most players play that turn more aggressively w/ AA or KK imo.Think about this though: He checked to you twice, feigning weakness. He may think that you were trying to steal the pot on the turn after being checked to twice, he has no reason to think that 7 hit you, most people would simply bet here after being checked to twice. I raise the river, probably 95% of the time. I'd need a relatively rock solid read to smooth-call.
To note, the Villian had yet to make any blocker bets or anything resembling one. I have not only played with him prior to this tournament, but the entire time this tournament, I feel like I have a really solid read on the Villian. Based on his play and my read from playing with him on multiple occasions, he had to have AA/KK the way the hand was played. I just flat called on the end fully expecting to see AA/KK.
Let me guess - hero called and villain showed KK
Good guess...This pot dropped me to 2300 which I turned into 67,500 by the end of the tourney./bragI liked my smooth call in THIS situation vs THIS player, thats not to say I don't raise someone else in the same spot in another tourney.Flame on...