Correct Multitable Tourney Strategy...

Let me preface this by saying that I could be considered a tournament (NL) vet and have read numerous books on the subject. However, lately I am confused about what is the optimal Multitable tournament strategy. Some say, play conservative and small pots when the blinds are small, and do not take many calculated risks. Others say this is when you take those chances to try and build your stack up. I prefer to try and build my stack slowly each round, until the blinds go up extensively. I know that David Pham is considered to be a tight player, and knowing such, it appears as though the conservative style seems to work best in multitables (as shown by his current POY status). Yet on the other hand Daniel plays more hands and is also near the top. JJ is considered a more conservative player as well, and is also in the top 3. To me, I think with the current status of poker, the more conservative style of play (almost ABC poker) seems to be the best style. Too many bad players entering tourney's these days, to try the more advanced plays or bluffs. Do you agree?

While, I am still trying to firm up my approach, it seems many players are playing way too loose in the early rounds. You really need to use caution when entering any pots before the big blind is 1/10th the opening chip count (usually T100). At this point, you can play your normal game.In the early rounds I only play big PPs ultra agressively. It is important to use position to your advantage when trying to build your stack in the early rounds. In LP, the value of suited connectors and small PPs go way up. Not hands you want to limp in with early and face potential raises but, if you can call the BB on the button, you may be able to trap somebody that was slow playing a monster pre-flop, if you hit on the flop. If you miss, they are easy to lay down.When the BB approaches T100, play tends to tighten up, considerable. Some selective agression can payoff, if you have established yourself to be a rock. More difficult if you were recently moved to a new table.

I am also re-examing my style of play lately mainly because of a bad run I've had. I hate to think my style doesn't work just because I'm not winning as much right now, but I think it's worth looking at.I think the answer to you question is really about how to play at what stage in the tournament. How should I play early, middle, and late?I've asked Hoyt Corkins this question before and his answer was that he plays very tight early and tries to build a stack with a monster hand. As the tournament moves on, he's more willing to gamble. Late in the tournament, he earns his nickname "Mr. All-In." I think this is a pretty solid approach that can lead to more wins, but less money finishes. I think most people have a hard time figuring out when to gamble. My problem lately is trying to make plays on people early in the tournemant, thus blowing off to much of my starting stack. Then, when I make to 2 tables, I have a little to much gamble in me. I hate limping into the final table with a short stack, so I usually like to gamble to try to get a bigger stack. When it works, I'm in position to win. When it doesn't, I think about quiting poker because I made some idiotic play (Like getting call all-in with 10-4 on the botton buy the BB how had me covered :evil: ). I wasn't wanting to "gamble" there, I was just trying to steal and got caught, which pisses me off. Don't think I consider that a gamble, that was just stupid.I think what it comes down to is the true skill in tournament poker is in the middle to late stages. If you can just get there and give yourself a chance, you will make playing poker tournaments profitable.

I agree, the time to gamble is mid-tourney. You want to have a decent stack when you make the final tables. You also have to be aware of the bubble. You want to be aggressive as you approach the money but, do not want to bust out just outside the money either. Take advantage of those that are trying to fold their way into the money. This is an ideal time to build your stack. Also, as the blinds increase, desperation plays are abundant. Avoid the big stacks, pressure the short stacks.Tight early, taking advantage of the loose/weak play of others when you hit your monsters. Loosenup as the blinds begin to threaten the short stacks - beware the big stacks. You must be able to lay down big hands in the middle of the tournament if you are challenged. You must be careful when committing large amounts of your chips. This has been the hardest part for me. Mid tourney, I get caught up in the desparation plays and end up calling a smaller stack's all-in. I'll have him dominated pre-flop, then he'll river his flush and cripple me. This is but one leak in my tourney game. When I can remember this, I can get to the $. But, still find myself ignoring this concept, too often.You do have to get lucky on occasion to win these, but it is almost always better to push your chips in, rather than call them off.Great topic, looking forward to others' posts. Maybe Daniel would care to add his 2ยข.

I like to build my stack early with some aggressive play if I have the cards. People are more likely to gamble with you at these stages and you can jump out to a nice chip lead.During the middle stages I tend to tighten up and play solid. I keep my aggressiveness but try to stay out of risk situations with multiple raisers pre-flop.In the final stages everyone tends to tighten up except for the chip leaders. I like to steal lots of pots in these situations particularly when things get down to placing in the money. People are like rocks here, so stealing is alot easier.If I'm a large stack, or at least above average, I like to take advantage of the obvious late in a tournament since everyone is trying to last a bit longer. If I'm short stacked I play solid but do not letup in my aggressiveness as I can still win alot of pots this way, including stealing when necessary. This works best when a large stack is out of the hand and you have a couple of short stacks to act behind you, give them a raise or two and see what they do. Eventually they'll realize what you are doing, if not immediately, so play accordingly.

I like to build my stack early with some aggressive play if I have the cards. ย 
The key being "if I have the cards". If you do not get the cards, I think you need to play tight. Players will gamble with you in the early rounds, that is why you need to be extremely selective.

I've played small NLHE events [just won one last Friday, 40 entrants], and I'm super-uber tight in the opening of the tournament. Blinds go up every 10 minutes which makes it a little more difficult, but I'm pretty selective and take on rock form in the opening hands, once 10 or 15 are eliminated, I switch gears completely and get aggressive, because that's the time to start moving up the chip ladder.That's how I do it, anyway.

You must be careful when committing large amounts of your chips. ย This has been the hardest part for me. ย Mid tourney, I get caught up in the desparation plays and end up calling a smaller stack's all-in. ย I'll have him dominated pre-flop, then he'll river his flush and cripple me. ย  This is but one leak in my tourney game. ย When I can remember this, I can get to the $. ย But, still find myself ignoring this concept, too often.
I don't see any problem with this. Just Bad Beats to me. If you get your money in there and you're leading the hand what else can you ask for?
I don't see any problem with this. Just Bad Beats to me. If you get your money in there and you're leading the hand what else can you ask for?
In a MTT tourney, it is about surviving, not always getting your money in when you have the best of it. Unless the blinds are killing me, I do not like to commit my whole stack pre-flop. Suckouts happen all the time. In trying to make the money, you have to make some big lay downs, even if you may be ahead.

My strategy: uber-tight play early on. I throw absolutely everything away unless it's a group 1 hand. I stay this way until the blinds are about 1/10 the starting stack. At this point I start to include group 2 and 3 hands, but only playing them from late or mid/late position.And in the early going, if I don't flop trips (even with a hand as good as JJ or QQ, I'm looking for a reason to fold. In most online tournaments, the blinds increase so quickly that it's quite likely that if you stay in a hand long enough to showdown, you'll probably be in for at least half your stack, maybe all of it. You have to be aware of that. Don't get too deep with a marginal hand. I've finished in the money or close to the money very consistently with this strategy and sometimes I play less than 10 hands the whole tournament! Not the most fun, but playing good poker usually isn't.

In a MTT tourney, it is about surviving, not always getting your money in when you have the best of it. Unless the blinds are killing me, I do not like to commit my whole stack pre-flop. Suckouts happen all the time. In trying to make the money, you have to make some big lay downs, even if you may be ahead.
Not to go Mike Matsow here but, "I play to win baby." If you're playing to win .80% of the prize pool then thats cool. My experience has been that the aggressive players make the final table. which is what im concerned about. I don't know the level buy ins everyone plays here but in a lets say 5-30 dollar buy in you really only double your money if you dont make the final table. My favorite spot to be in is right on the money line and then I'm playing just about every hand. All of a sudden I go from middle position chip cout to the top 10. So if you're playing 3-4 hours to make 2-1 on your buy in then thats fine. I dont see the value in that.That part of your post that disapoints me is that you won't play a hand because you dont want to get rivered? How are you going to win if you live in fear of runner runner?I know you all have done well using the strategies you use. So don't come back at me in a rage saying I'm teling you your play is bad. I'm not at all. I used to play like that and it worked but I hate wasting 3 hours to win one BB in a 5-10 game.

The game plan is generally uber tight early, loosening as the blinds increase. As I approach the $, super agression usually pushes me beyond the bubble and onward. I agree, barely in the money is no were near the paypouts at the final table.I find that there are just too many players willing to call with marginal hands ealry on. Depending on the stucture of the toourney and the buy-in, this does vary, some.

What worries me most about the early rounds of tournaments is that I am not familiar with my opponents yet. Understanding your opponents' tendencies is a huge part of the game. And with this lack of information at the start of the tournament, every bet becomes more of a gamble. For this reason it is important to start off tight and be very observant. I take frequent notes regarding the playing styles of my opponents during this period and record what types of cards they are betting with.As we have all noticed, there are many players that will play with anything early on because the blinds are small. While this means that it is harder to win a pot (more opponents playing for it), it also means that there is a lot of loose money out there. So it is important that when you do have strong cards, you need to be aggressive and take as much of this money as you can.

And in the early going, if I don't flop trips (even with a hand as good as JJ or QQ, I'm looking for a reason to fold.
I don't agree with this philosohphy. In my opinion, there is a big difference between playing prudent and playing scared. Because we will not be dealt Aces or Kings every hand, we must learn how to maximize our profits from hands such as Jacks or Queens.Early in tournaments with lots of people seeing flops, you have to be on the look out for the two-pair and small sets that people will draw on you. But when you are dealt cards that put you in a favorable position, you need to use this opportunity to build your stack so you are prepared to face the later rounds.
...I've finished in the money or close to the money very consistently with this strategy and sometimes I play less than 10 hands the whole tournament!
There have been many books written about the difference between making the final table and winning it. It is common knowledge that the tight player who only bets a few hands will advance far, possibly even to the final table. However, he will rarely have many chips once he gets there. So his chances of winning the tournament are highly unlikely.If your goal is to squeak past the bubble and make a couple dollars, then this stragey may be correct. However, the real money resides in the top few positions. And the only way to reach this mark is to have a sizable stack once you do make it to the final table. And one of the best ways to do this is by taking some of that loose money that is out there in the dangerous early rounds.Point: With the blinds so cheap at the beginning, many players will bet with marginal hands. But these loose opponents deserve to be punished! So when the cards present themselves, don't be afraid to take all of their money and teach them a lesson.--cnm