****official Oakland A's Thread****

So, even though i think King_Tanner and I are the only A's fans on FCP, i still think that Oakland deserves a Thread....So, even if it is just you and me Tanner, I hope the season comes along great!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always takes me half the season to get used to the new players because they have a completely different lineup every year lol. I don't think I like Giambi being back. I really enjoyed booing him at the A's Yankees games in Oakland.

It always takes me half the season to get used to the new players because they have a completely different lineup every year lol. I don't think I like Giambi being back. I really enjoyed booing him at the A's Yankees games in Oakland.
why did you boo? he played well for us... it was our managment that got rid of him
why did you boo? he played well for us... it was our managment that got rid of him
From Mark Purdy's article in the SJ Merc recently:Throughout the past decade, followers of the A's have been trained to watch their best players leave town for free agency. But in their minds, Giambi sparks the worst possible memories. He's the one who began the whole cycle-of-loss and insulted his East Bay fans in the process. After the 2001 season, Giambi rejected an A's contract proposal of six years and $91 million the richest deal ever offered by the team to that point — and accepted the Yankees' bid of $120 million over seven years. But that was only the start. "It wasn't the money," Giambi said at his introductory New York media conference. "It was the things about playing in New York — the fans, the city, the chance to win, the manager, the front office and an owner that wants to win."Those remarks infuriated then-A's owner Steve Schott, who pointed out that in the previous two seasons, the A's had accumulated more victories than the Yankees. But insulting an owner is one thing. Insulting the entire A's electorate is another. And over the following weeks, Giambi kept dissing his former address. For example, Giambi told the New York Post: "The West Coast differs profoundly from the traditions of the East Coast. I want to experience the incredible people and the lifestyle."Worst of all, he went on the David Letterman show and read off a Top 10 list of reasons he signed with the Yankees. One of the reasons: "Have you ever been to Oakland?"
"It wasn't the money," Giambi said at his introductory New York media conference. "It was the things about playing in New York — the fans, the city, the chance to win, the manager, the front office and an owner that wants to win."
He was on a pretty damn good team at the time too that definitely had a chance to win. Hudson, Mulder, Zito, Tejada.... etc. The teams he were on were awesome in the regular season, but kind of choked in the playoffs. That had to do with injuries, choking, his brother Jeremy (all Oakland fans remember the Jeter play) etc. This happened a lot with the Yankees team for a few years. So it was more of the same in New York, I'm glad he didn't get any championships.I might hoot or holler if he hits a lot of home runs or something, but even if he has a All-Star season, you won't hear "Jason Giambi is da man!" ever from me. A lot of the other guys had to leave though because the A's wouldn't offer them shit. I'm still a big Zito fan even though he kind of stunk it up last year.

be a fan of his work... but he is a D!CK head.... got his auto outside of McAfee, AND he threw me a ball after he was done warming up before a game.... every time ive ever seen someone talk to him.... he has been a total ass ****. so i ended up wearing the hat... still have the ball though, got it auto'ed by someone else though.... Swisher i think

be a fan of his work... but he is a D!CK head.... got his auto outside of McAfee, AND he threw me a ball after he was done warming up before a game.... every time ive ever seen someone talk to him.... he has been a total ass ****. so i ended up wearing the hat... still have the ball though, got it auto'ed by someone else though.... Swisher i think
Swisher is one guy I wish they would of kept. He wasn't great, doesn't cost a lot, the fans liked him. Same with Eric Byrnes.
I guess I should have added an lol or a :ts; as a Dodgers fan, my admiration of Zito is not really because of his success. :club:
he is a D!CK head.... got his auto outside of McAfee, AND he threw me a ball after he was done warming up before a game....
You're right, what a dick.
I guess I should have added an lol or a :ts; as a Dodgers fan, my admiration of Zito is not really because of his success. :club:
haha, i didnt put the pieces together until afterwards..... you as a dodgers fan should LOVE Zito.... I dont "like" the Giants, but then again, i just dont give a **** about them either...... but they should have know that the A's didn't want him for a reason..... (juice) imo...... I wish they kept Byrnes and Swish too...... I still think that the organization found out about swish being on the juice and released him beofre it cost them, he didnt do much last year.....
haha, i didnt put the pieces together until afterwards..... you as a dodgers fan should LOVE Zito.... I dont "like" the Giants, but then again, i just dont give a **** about them either...... but they should have know that the A's didn't want him for a reason..... (juice) imo...... I wish they kept Byrnes and Swish too...... I still think that the organization found out about swish being on the juice and released him beofre it cost them, he didnt do much last year.....
Are you saying that the A's didn't want Zito because he was taking steroids? They didn't want him because they couldn't afford him.Swisher was on the A's when they were doing heavy steroid testing. Did he test positive on the White Sox? What u talkin bout?
Are you saying that the A's didn't want Zito because he was taking steroids? They didn't want him because they couldn't afford him.Swisher was on the A's when they were doing heavy steroid testing. Did he test positive on the White Sox? What u talkin bout?
This is what i am saying.... when players test positive for substances for the first time, NO ONE has to know that you tested positive. so if and when the A's did the testing, and found that Swish goes positive, the fine him, and do not have to make it public.... Mind you this is all my speculation, but reasonable none the less. Do you remeber him jumping 50 pounds in the offseason, before his last year in oakland.... then he goes to Chicago and loses all of this power with his bat... he siad he gained the 50lbs doing lumber jack work with his cousin....Zito, i dont know.... they could have afforded him, they had dumped mulder and hundson to keep him... i dont see why they would not have..... it is hard to bbelieve that just because he plays accross the bay he plays SOOO much worse. He lost heat last season too you know...
  • 2 weeks later...

ESPN is finally getting on the A train!oakland got its first special today on SC

I <3 the MLB channel thus far....The other night they had an hour long special on the 2001 season, where the A's took the first two in NY then lost the next 3. I'm not the biggest Jeter fan really, but man was that play to get Jeremy Giambi at the plate special.

I'm not the biggest Jeter fan really, but man was that play to get Jeremy Giambi at the plate special.
We don't discuss such things in this thread. Mods please delete.
  • 4 weeks later...

Nomar coming to Oakland? Do you wan him? What would you pay for him?

I think if you can sign him for 2.5 mill or less you want him. Then just use him to play for Chavez, Giambi, Cust, or Barton against lefties and give him some starts at short when the A's have a flyball pitcher on the mound to give them a little punch on offence instead of Crosby without hurting the defence too much. Besides that hes not a terrible backup.Id still continue to look at Cabrera though.