40 minutes into the $1k event. As you can imagine, w/the blinds at 25/25 and a starting stack of 3k, play is very tight. I was picking up pots every few hands simply because I could. I am on the button and I get dealt KK. Guy in middle position leads out with a bet of 225. I am thinking about repopping big and at the last second I decide to simply call. Everyone else folds. Flop comes J42 rainbow. Villain leads out w/a bet of 400 and I repop it another 600 to 1k. Villain reraises all in and doesnt look the least bit concerned. I think it over for about 3 minutes and decide to.......What woud you guys do here?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have to call. By not reraising preflop, there is zero chance he is putting you on a hand this strong. He would probably feel comfortable with any broadway jack, qq. Even if he has a pair tt or less, he may figure you aren't going to go broke early in a $1k with a jack unless it is AJ. Also, since you only raised 1.5x of his flop bet, he could easily think you are just testing to see if he has AK/AQ. I'd say the fact that you under represented your actual strength and there are only 4 hands that beat you, you have to call... If he has you beat god bless him.

I generally agree with RJF. You're underrepped here and only AA or a set really beats you here. I think you have to call. Flatting the PF bet just makes it seems like you're holding ATB and a raggedy rainbow flop eliminates flush and str8 issues.I'm not crazy about your betting (I would 3 bet PF and maybe just flat the flop bet), but it's certainly keeping the villain interested in the hand. I honestly think this guy could have anything, even 53s, for example. He could easily be making his PF bet with ATC based on table tightness.Anyway, what do I know...I may never play one of these, so I could easily be talking out of my ass.

did you post because you called and lost? i think considering the read i bet it's close. i actually bet you're behind here a decent percentage of the time. not sure how you can dump kings here as played, tho. sometimes you just have to lose.

This is soo obviously AA, I would fold this hand face up while laughing in his face after he drags the pot, maybe muttering, "soul read" a couple of times just to rub it in.

There are two hands you lose to: JJ and AA. There's about a 1% chance he has 2s or 4s. You beat: AJ, KJ, QJ, QQ, and chop with KK. The way you played the hand, I believe he would def play AJ and QQ this way with the very smaller possibility of KJ and QJ.You flat called to trap opponent and/or to see a non A flop right? You accomplished both and I think you need to call. If you're going to fold here, there is no point in flat calling preflop.

I was curious to see what answers I would get from internet players. When I reraised to 1K, he instantly pushed all in and I could see that he wasn't the least bit concerned that he was behind. He raised 10x the bb pre, and reraised a reraise on the flop, do you really thing that would do that w/AJ? In a low $ tourney w/20 minute blinds I probably call, but in the WSOP format its hard to imagine he would have anything other than AA. Based on the preflop action I didn't think JJ was hardly even a consideration.I verbalized that I had KK before folding and he didn't even flinch. I folded my KK face up and pleaded for him to show me the AA which he did. Hour long blinds, tight table, and my read on him was that I was definitely behind. Unfotunately I busted out about 11 hours later just a few spots from the money when I read a guy for a big ace and missing against my pocket sixes on a board of 842 rainbow. He actually had a huge kicker, another ace, and that was it for me.

I was curious to see what answers I would get from internet players. When I reraised to 1K, he instantly pushed all in and I could see that he wasn't the least bit concerned that he was behind. He raised 10x the bb pre, and reraised a reraise on the flop, do you really thing that would do that w/AJ? In a low $ tourney w/20 minute blinds I probably call, but in the WSOP format its hard to imagine he would have anything other than AA. Based on the preflop action I didn't think JJ was hardly even a consideration.I verbalized that I had KK before folding and he didn't even flinch. I folded my KK face up and pleaded for him to show me the AA which he did. Hour long blinds, tight table, and my read on him was that I was definitely behind. Unfotunately I busted out about 11 hours later just a few spots from the money when I read a guy for a big ace and missing against my pocket sixes on a board of 842 rainbow. He actually had a huge kicker, another ace, and that was it for me.
Yeah, you still played this hand bad regardless of results.In the 1k WSOP events, the blinds are still fast even though they're not "20 minutes". Realistically there's no excuse for you not getting this in preflop. I realize that in THIS case you'd be crushed, but 1k WSOP events are the lowest buyins and people are going to get it in against you with QQ, JJ, AK, even at the first level or two.But nice brag about a lucky fold I guess.
Yeah, you still played this hand bad regardless of results.In the 1k WSOP events, the blinds are still fast even though they're not "20 minutes". Realistically there's no excuse for you not getting this in preflop. I realize that in THIS case you'd be crushed, but 1k WSOP events are the lowest buyins and people are going to get it in against you with QQ, JJ, AK, even at the first level or two.But nice brag about a lucky fold I guess.
Are you serious? The blinds are still fast???? Have you played in the WSOP? There is almost zero, and I mean zero pressure from the blinds. I was gonna shove pre, but I figured he had a couple of hands and AA seemed the most likely to me. Textbook play says repop big preflop but you have to consider the circumstances as well as my read. The entire table is playing extremely tight and then a guy opens up for 10x the bb? You don't think there is any chance he has aces? C'mon man. The worst hand he had was AK and I figured if I am going to get it all in eventually, lets see a flop and see if the ace hits. Once he snap shoves my reraise on a J high board I thought it looked like aces. Most importantly though, its 40 minutes into a tournament that could last 3 days. Do I really want to go broke when my gut is telling me he has aces.
Are you serious? The blinds are still fast???? Have you played in the WSOP? There is almost zero, and I mean zero pressure from the blinds. I was gonna shove pre, but I figured he had a couple of hands and AA seemed the most likely to me. Textbook play says repop big preflop but you have to consider the circumstances as well as my read. The entire table is playing extremely tight and then a guy opens up for 10x the bb? You don't think there is any chance he has aces? C'mon man. The worst hand he had was AK and I figured if I am going to get it all in eventually, lets see a flop and see if the ace hits. Once he snap shoves my reraise on a J high board I thought it looked like aces. Most importantly though, its 40 minutes into a tournament that could last 3 days. Do I really want to go broke when my gut is telling me he has aces.
The 1k event is a fast structure whether you want to believe it or not. It's posted here:WSOP 1k structure3k starting stack, 60 minute levels, and the first 5 levels are:25-2525-5050-10075-150100-200This is fast *FOR A WSOP EVENT*.But, in any event, your read was "Oh he raised 10x, he must have aces". That's pretty exploitable.
The 1k event is a fast structure whether you want to believe it or not. It's posted here:WSOP 1k structure3k starting stack, 60 minute levels, and the first 5 levels are:25-2525-5050-10075-150100-200This is fast *FOR A WSOP EVENT*.But, in any event, your read was "Oh he raised 10x, he must have aces". That's pretty exploitable.
No my read was, he raised 10x pre after folding almost every hand for 40 minutes, then he snap shoves my reraise on the flop. This looks like aces. You've been on here for a while so I am sure you have played a ton of live poker. Do you ever just get reads off the players themselves? This guy was either the best actor ever or he was COMPLETELY relaxed and didn't show any concern when I told him what I had. I figured I could be wrong but think he has it and I can still recover even if im wrong. It was a tough laydown and I think it could go either way, especially since I smoothed called him PF, but being 40 minutes into the tournament was a huge part of the equation. To me the blinds really seem almost too slow in the WSOP but I guess that is a matter of opinion.
No my read was, he raised 10x pre after folding almost every hand for 40 minutes, then he snap shoves my reraise on the flop. This looks like aces. You've been on here for a while so I am sure you have played a ton of live poker. Do you ever just get reads off the players themselves? This guy was either the best actor ever or he was COMPLETELY relaxed and didn't show any concern when I told him what I had. I figured I could be wrong but think he has it and I can still recover even if im wrong. It was a tough laydown and I think it could go either way, especially since I smoothed called him PF, but being 40 minutes into the tournament was a huge part of the equation. To me the blinds really seem almost too slow in the WSOP but I guess that is a matter of opinion.
But you don't think he could have done the exact same thing with QQ? I your post-flop read was reasonable, but in your last reply you said your pre-flop read was AA. Obviously it's in his range, but I don't think you can just automatically give him credit here.Yes, I've played live poker a lot over the last 5+ years, and sure sometimes the 10x raise is a monster, but everyone's definition of a monster is different. If you reraise here pre with KK, and he 4-bet shoves, are you folding?
But you don't think he could have done the exact same thing with QQ? I your post-flop read was reasonable, but in your last reply you said your pre-flop read was AA. Obviously it's in his range, but I don't think you can just automatically give him credit here.Yes, I've played live poker a lot over the last 5+ years, and sure sometimes the 10x raise is a monster, but everyone's definition of a monster is different. If you reraise here pre with KK, and he 4-bet shoves, are you folding?
No, if he shoves pre I'm coming along for the ride. I got lucky by not repopping him there (as I will do about 98% of the time w/KK) because I can't get away from it before the flop.
lol at how bad you played this hand...sick setmine with KK[/quotWhat's the manual say I should do here and I will make sure I ALWAYS play KK that way from this day forward without variation.

thats what the cashman always does....he posts and argues at any and all advice given. His post are just completely stupid and arrogant. Please never post again

thats what the cashman always does....he posts and argues at any and all advice given. His post are just completely stupid and arrogant. Please never post again
Sounds good. Sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks for the input too. You always give such great advice. You ridicule and don't explain why I played it so horribly. Take care.

ty...dude 10x'ed which means he probably will get it in...his range IS NOT just AA...he can have 9s+, AJs+. These tournaments are going to be getting shallow after the first few levels. We need to be getting this in and not turning KK into a bluff.

He might think KJ is the ultra nuts here. People were fairly dire at any type of handreading in those tournaments and did plenty of weird preflop stuff. Heck he might think 99 is good enough to jam and feel good about it. Raise folding like the 5th best hand you can have given how much money you put in out of your stack so early in the hand is pretty bad.There is actually not a single hand I'd raise fold here. I'd probably rather flat the flop than do anything else as played pre.The 1ks were pretty fast (I liked this). I think once you get to 75/150 or 100/200 ish it's probably faster than most non turbo online tournaments.

ty...dude 10x'ed which means he probably will get it in...his range IS NOT just AA...he can have 9s+, AJs+. These tournaments are going to be getting shallow after the first few levels. We need to be getting this in and not turning KK into a bluff.
I really didn't think I was bluffing when I raised to $1k. I figured I was ahead and reraised him. When he insta shoved on me with all of that information is when I thought maybe he actually did have the aces. Seemed to me like nothing other than a set of Js or AA, with AA being the more likely of the two. I could have been wrong but I still have half my stack if he flips over QQ. I have seen your stats and I know you're a hell of an online player so I respect your opinion. I am not trying to argue, simply debate a little bit.