Official 2008 Presidential Election Thread

We all know what the polls like and we all know what the attitude had been for over a month now. As far back as early October, people were calling this one for Obama. He had a lead that it seemed was unsurmountable. Yet McCain remained publicly optimistic and on several occasions has promised a win. As much as Democrats would like to believe that it's already put away, secretly they all know that nobody can ever 100% predict what people are going to do in the voting booths. Has there been some sort of systematic in all the current polls, and is McCain ready to mount one of the greatest political upsets in political history? Unless something totally drastic happens, we'll know by later tonight. So, let's see if we can try to make sense of the exits polls and calling of states that's going to dominate the news today.I said this in another thread, but I think the key state is Pennselvania. According to 538, Obama had an average lead there of 6-8 points, which is a pretty substantial lead. This is the one that if McCain can win will really make every liberal in the country quake in his boots. If Obama drops this one, we have a race on our hands, no only because of the electoral math, but because of what it would mean for the greater election. If Obama can lose a state where he's been consistently ahead in the polls for weeks, then really none of the polls can be trusted and everything's up in the air.McCain doesn't need Penn to win, but if he doesn't get it, he's going to have to come up with Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, and Colorado. If Obama wins Penn, it's not over, but it's extremely difficult. If Obama wins either Ohio or Flordia, it's 100% pack up your bags thanks for playing let's see what he gets as a parting gift over. Those are the nails in the coffin.I had trouble sleeping last night and woke up naturally at 6 this morning in anticipation for the excitement of today. I'm usually sickened by the game of politics, but for one day every four years, it's fun to just embrace it. I woke up and cast my vote for "that one" and it felt good.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got up at 7am to vote at my local fire station. Line was not so bad; it took me about 35 minutes total to get in and out. All three of my classes were canceled today so I am bumming around the house with nothing to do all day. Rough life of a student.Go "that one".

It took me about an hour to vote. The line just to get into the building was around the block, and then I had to wait in a smaller, subdivided line when I got inside. I of course had my moment of panic right before I entered the booth. I feared that I'd be unable to figure the whole thing out and I'd end up voting for Buchanan. Fortunately, that didn't happen. I had 2 Obamas and about 5 McCain's on the ballot under different parties, so that was odd. But I think I flipped the right switch and pulled the right lever.

On the way in to the polls (in a lillywhite area), standing on the closest corner, there were three dancing Negro women waving Obama signs.
Did you engage them to have what I'm sure would have been a thoughtful conversation about Obama's fiscal policies?
I had trouble sleeping last night and woke up naturally at 6 this morning in anticipation for the excitement of today. I'm usually sickened by the game of politics, but for one day every four years, it's fun to just embrace it. I woke up and cast my vote for "that one" and it felt good.
this. SO excited for today. (you can tell because i capitalized it)

My Mothers in Pennsylvania volunteering for the Obama Camp, they picked up her and her American friend at 4am last night to drive from New York. In Israel, need to be awake for work so wont get to watch. I love election days though

I honestly hope they both lose. Both are pretty bad candidates and it won't look good for America for the next 4 years. Neither one knows what it's like to be a real American.

I honestly hope they both lose. Both are pretty bad candidates and it won't look good for America for the next 4 years. Neither one knows what it's like to be a real American.
people say this as a sort of knee jerk response out of a disillusion of politics, but really, I think they are the two best candidates we've had since at least Clinton/Dole, and maybe as far back as Ike/Stevenson.

So glad I voted nearly 2 weeks ago. 10 minutes round trip from parking lot. They showed somewhere in Ohio last night said people were waiting 4 hours. Fuckkkkkk that.

So glad I voted nearly 2 weeks ago. 10 minutes round trip from parking lot. They showed somewhere in Ohio last night said people were waiting 4 hours. Fuckkkkkk that.
they werent waiting to vote, that was just their normal park bench address.If its close and Virginia matters and is also close, could be a while before the results are known. 10s of thousands of military ballots were sent later than required by law and it could be 10 days before they are received. The courts will have fun with that one.
they werent waiting to vote, that was just their normal park bench address.If its close and Virginia matters and is also close, could be a while before the results are known. 10s of thousands of military ballots were sent later than required by law and it could be 10 days before they are received. The courts will have fun with that one.
Well then they can throw those votes out.Just like they threw them out in Florida in 2000and by they, I mean the democrats who are very happy to disenfranchise voters if they lean republicanGoing to be hard to say you support the troops after you vote against their funding, and then throw away their votes, and yet I don't see any problem with the Obama camp doing just that
Well then they can throw those votes out.Just like they threw them out in Florida in 2000and by they, I mean the democrats who are very happy to disenfranchise voters if they lean republicanGoing to be hard to say you support the troops after you vote against their funding, and then throw away their votes, and yet I don't see any problem with the Obama camp doing just that
actually wasnt the Fl court decision that those votes had to be counted, but it turned out it didnt matter because of the recounts?
actually wasnt the Fl court decision that those votes had to be counted, but it turned out it didnt matter because of the recounts?
:club: Like I care about facts when I'm making a point that mocks the left :ts

Last night on the news they interviewed a black lady who had been waiting five hours to vote. They asked her why she was willing to wait so long, and she gave an answer that began with an explanation of how a circle goes all the way around. I could barely understand her, and her teeth made me want to vomit.

Last night on the news they interviewed a black lady who had been waiting five hours to vote. They asked her why she was willing to wait so long, and she gave an answer that began with an explanation of how a circle goes all the way around. I could barely understand her, and her teeth made me want to vomit.
It's not about race(is it?)