Sunday Million First Hand

This is a hand one of my friends played very first hand in the Sunday Million, so it's 10k stacks and 25/50 blinds.Hero is SB with J :club: J :5c Folds the hero, hero raises to 200, BB raises to 600, hero calls.Flop(2 players): 6 :ts 4 :D 4 :D (pot:1200)Hero checks, BB bets 950, hero calls 950.Turn: 6 :D 4 :3h 4 :4h A :D (pot:3100)Hero checks, BB bets 950, hero folds.How do you play this hand? How would you play it on different turns?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get myself in a lot of trouble with JJ. I think I lead the flop. The BB could be defending????? Then our check makes it look like we were drawing. I don't know, probably get myself in a lot of trouble here. Probably lead for between 1/2 and 3/4 the pot. If he calls then I might consider giving up on that turn the same. But I like leading the continuation bet.

First, I probably only raise to 150 here. Raising over standard will probably be perceived as weak (which is a good thing here until overs hit).Second, like Poker Addict said, I lead for about 2/3. If he calls, this turn card might get me in trouble because I'll want to represent that A. This one is tricky.

Does anyone 4 bet this preflop in a blind battle, w/ the intention of folding to a shove? I think you have to C/R the flop to 2.5K if you take the line you did preflop..As played, fold turn

Does anyone 4 bet this preflop in a blind battle, w/ the intention of folding to a shove? I think you have to C/R the flop to 2.5K if you take the line you did preflop..As played, fold turn
I think it's cheaper to call, lead out, and you'll still have the same idea of where you are after the flop. Plus, you get to see the flop. It's still pretty early and I don't want to get crazy with JJ.

I don't hate the 4 bet. It is early, but we should be well ahead of his range. The problem is we don't know how crazy he will get with AK. Later on in the tourny I think it's a great spot for a 4 bet with some history. But I think right here I call and lead. Check Fold turn.

this is horrible in the mil where ppl are dying to spew their stack first hour.i would 4-bet pre and if villain raises again i would db/opr him and be willing to get it in against most players.as played would c/r flop and be willing to get it in. as played, i would call uber weak turn bet and hope to get to showdown.

I just call flop bet.. and check/ fold the turn A.. if Turn is blank I keep the pot small by check/ calling. if river is blank im probably calling his river bet.. hopefully he keeps it small... his Turn bet looks weak so he may have QQ or KK.. 10s slow down I would think.. Your goal isnt to get in sticky spots early in these things:). preserve those chippies!

I am not a fan of raising more than 150 PF, since if BB wants to re-raise, we want to make it unattractive to raise by too much, plus against a re-popable hand, JJ can get dominated rather easily on the flop. I am not a fan of c/c'ing the flop either, because it tells us little and wastes our chips if we don't get a convincing turn and river to put us ahead. Controlling the pot size BvB in the 1st hand is a much better idea.Lead the flop, too. If this guy has a better overpair, let him show you by going over the top. I don't think I waste any more chips than that on this hand. In fact, BvB, I can even see limping and calling a BB raise. JJ to me isn't much better than 99, so playing it like the nuts is ill advised in most situations.

I am not a fan of raising more than 150 PF, since if BB wants to re-raise, we want to make it unattractive to raise by too much, plus against a re-popable hand, JJ can get dominated rather easily on the flop. I am not a fan of c/c'ing the flop either, because it tells us little and wastes our chips if we don't get a convincing turn and river to put us ahead. Controlling the pot size BvB in the 1st hand is a much better idea.Lead the flop, too. If this guy has a better overpair, let him show you by going over the top. I don't think I waste any more chips than that on this hand. In fact, BvB, I can even see limping and calling a BB raise. JJ to me isn't much better than 99, so playing it like the nuts is ill advised in most situations.
JJ IS better than 99, and it is better than any two cards as well. Playing this passively preflop like you mentioned is a leak. I can see playing this post flop passively, but if you raise to 150, villain reraises, you call, I lead out with this flop 100% of the time....if he calls my flop bet, NOW you can play this passively. Remember, we have 10k stacks here. If we are waiting for hands better than JJ, you may be waiting a long time.edited because i forgot about the 3 bet.

Definitely lead the flop. Checking invites a bluff or lets overcards see the turn for free. His bet doesnt give you nearly as much information as calling your bet does.The Ace shuts me out of the rest of the hand.

Definitely lead the flop. Checking invites a bluff or lets overcards see the turn for free. His bet doesnt give you nearly as much information as calling your bet does.The Ace shuts me out of the rest of the hand.

i'd say checking the flop was a mistake. it leaves too many opportunities for a BB hand to either bluff or draw for free overs.lead the flop for 2/3on the turn you prolly should respect the ace it was a bad card. and it's the first hand. you have NO IDEA HOW HE PLAYS while he may just be calling with a BB hand....he could also be the kind of player who never re raises without a monster. you have no history on him. it's a tough hand but chances are later on youre gonna find a hand where you know where your at and that the pot is ures barring some miracle 3 outer.

If I was playing it I would have called the 600 then bet about half the pot on the flop. If he reraised me I would fold. Is this too passive or do I want to see the turn that bad. To me it looks like he has AA-QQ already since his high overbetting. Am I not seeing a weekness here?

I forgot to comment on the 4 bet pre suggestions. The minimum 4 bet is to 2200-2500, as much as 25% of your stack, and youre OOP. Equity to the river is probably very close to 50/50 and there isnt enough dead money in the pot to overcome the positional disadvantage. Pushing 9800 to win 600 chips is obviously a spew. I still like the PF call.

The minimum 4 bet is to 2200-2500
That would be a massive reraise. $2500 would be waaaaaay too much. Even reraising full pot is only $1800. If I 4-bet here, I'd make it $1600 or maybe $1800. I don't really see why you would want/need to raise any more than that. Certainly never more than $2k.
That would be a massive reraise. $2500 would be waaaaaay too much. Even reraising full pot is only $1800. If I 4-bet here, I'd make it $1600 or maybe $1800. I don't really see why you would want/need to raise any more than that. Certainly never more than $2k.
OOP I prefer to overraise with a made hand and make him pay for his position. Even at 1800 if the flop gets you top pair youre pot committed. The overbet can also make him much more cautious the rest of the hand if he doesnt flop top pair and save you money in the long run.

Actually, I read his weak turn bet as a made hand. I see this way too often online. Super agressive until their hand is made...then slow down because they don't want to scare you away.And lead that flop...everytime.

This is a hand one of my friends played very first hand in the Sunday Million, so it's 10k stacks and 25/50 blinds.Hero is SB with J :club: J :5c Folds the hero, hero raises to 200, BB raises to 600, hero calls.Flop(2 players): 6 :ts 4 :D 4 :D (pot:1200)Hero checks, BB bets 950, hero calls 950.Turn: 6 :D 4 :3h 4 :4h A :D (pot:3100)Hero checks, BB bets 950, hero folds.How do you play this hand? How would you play it on different turns?
There are some great post responses.There are just tooooo many possibilities with the BB. He could had A4 or 66 or anything. I think there are 2 possibilites here..1. Take absolute control pre-flop by re-re-raising him (but this is VERY dangerous) and not worth it to me 1st hand.I don't like the flop play AT ALL. If you are puttin him on an ace then make him pay c/r'ing the flop. If he calls then that will give you some info. I don't mind the fold on the turn but then again that makes the flop play that much worse and he should have never seen the turn.But no matter.. if the fold was a mistake it was a small one because he is still in the tourny.2. c/c and lose the min. if you are actually beat. Very tough because there is no read on this player and you get no information this way.
I don't like the flop play AT ALL. If you are puttin him on an ace then make him pay c/r'ing the flop. If he calls then that will give you some info.
I don't think you can count on him to bet the flop to c/r him. Once he knows you have a real hand from your call of the PF raise a continuation bet isnt automatic because its so easy for you to put him on two overs that he has to suspect a c/r from an overpair.
I don't think you can count on him to bet the flop to c/r him. Once he knows you have a real hand from your call of the PF raise a continuation bet isnt automatic because its so easy for you to put him on two overs that he has to suspect a c/r from an overpair.
true.. you can't count on it but he did bet. I think c\c is the worse possible play in this position (If you truly put him on an ace). However, if you put him on an ace and the board blanks then you can assume that he missed and take the pot down. You have to go with your gut on this one and if he was right then he saved some chips and he tournament life as well.

Pretty sick spot. I think a raise to 2.2k pre-flop isn't a bad idea, and then probs fold to a shove (Even after PokerDBing him, there's very few types of players I can call against. If he has anyway good results, its obviosuly a fold. If his results are good but it is evident this is his first SM, I still fold I think [how likely is he gonna push first hand of the biggest tourney of his life?]. If he has like 3 results, I'd probs sharkscope him aswell, but rly, there's very few players I can call here against - that was quite a long explantion).If he flat calls the 2.2k pre-flop, I lead flop for 2.8k. If he calls, I check turn. Now, if he bets, I fold. If he had AK, I'm obv behind. If he has 77-TT or QQ/KK he will usually check the ace. Then depending on river, I probs put in a blocker/small value bet of 1.5k or something, or maybe I check. If he pushes in either case (on the river), I think I have to fold, not much your beating. If he pushes on flop I think I have to call. If he has AA, KK, QQ, 66 or some random 4, good luck to him. If he only has AK or AQ, I say gg as I expect to see an ace on the turn!As played, I don't mind the check-call on the flop. Keeping control of pot size. The trouble I see with leading is, there is a very good chance he will raise you with 77-TT, I can even see AK or AQ raising you in this spot. In fact, I can see ATC raising you in this spot. Alot of players thinking will go "Ok, I reraised pre flop, and now he's leading this small flop. He must put me on high cards and be trying to steal. But since I 3-bet I can raise and represent an overpair." or "I have pocket 7s, there's nothing higher than a 7 there, I'm obv raising and looking to get it all in here".So after the check call on the flop, I like the check-fold on the turn. If he has 77-TT or QQ/KK, I think he checks there. The only hand thats bet there are an ace or some bluff. Either way, he has an ace alot mroe often than nothing, so I like the fold.

true.. you can't count on it but he did bet. I think c\c is the worse possible play in this position (If you truly put him on an ace). However, if you put him on an ace and the board blanks then you can assume that he missed and take the pot down. You have to go with your gut on this one and if he was right then he saved some chips and he tournament life as well.
"but he did bet"...results oriented thinking! I agree, c/c is a spew. Not leading the flop is rolling over and playing dead.