Official 2010 Off Season Free Agent And Trade Thread

I figure it's not too early to start the off season thread.So it seems that LeBron wants to bring along his own Coach in Calipari to whatever team he goes to. Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do since Coach Cal was a total joke in his first go around in the NBA.This article from Yahoo reminded me of what a loon Calipari is.http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A...iparinets052110

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure it's not too early to start the off season thread.So it seems that LeBron wants to bring along his own Coach in Calipari to whatever team he goes to. Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do since Coach Cal was a total joke in his first go around in the NBA.This article from Yahoo reminded me of what a loon Calipari is.http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A...iparinets052110
this is a rumor that makes no sense. Lebron barely knows Calipari and Caliprai was AWFUL in the NBA. This is just one of a billion stupid rumors we will here (with Worldwide Wes at the epicenter).Lebron being a question mark is great news for Miami.

Yeah, Calipari was a pretty awful NBA head coach. Mike Brown was just fired, so Cleveland is available.I think Lebron's people are going to turn this into a giant clustercuss. He's going to end up in a less than ideal situation with a bad coach and he's going to waste three years of his prime.I'm still rooting for this:

Lebron in a sign-and-trade.
Um, that's less clear when it's not in the Dallas Mavericks thread.I wouldn't mind seeing him team up with Amare somewhere, just so they can try to one up each other at who can dunk it the hardest.I think besides Lebron, the most interesting situation is Miami. They can sign Wade plus another max guy plus a $10m guy. Could Miami bring in a couple big men like Amare and Boozer?
I think besides Lebron, the most interesting situation is Miami. They can sign Wade plus another max guy plus a $10m guy. Could Miami bring in a couple big men like Amare and Boozer?
The only way that Miami could two guys like that would be in a sign and trade since they're both going to want and get over $10 million from somebody and Miami really doesn't have any assets with much value other than Wade. In order to get that much cap space they're going to be left with Wade plus Beasley and Daequan Cook plus they'll pick up the team option on Chalmers at $847,000.I'm not sure what team is going to want to take on Beasley. He's nuts, can't defend any position and doesn't really have a position on offense.That being said nothing this off season is going to surprise me.I figure this is as good a place to post it as anywhere and I know that most of you already know about it but the Hoopshype salary pages are a great resourse to use to figure out what each team's situation is.http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
The only way that Miami could two guys like that would be in a sign and trade since they're both going to want and get over $10 million from somebody and Miami really doesn't have any assets with much value other than Wade. In order to get that much cap space they're going to be left with Wade plus Beasley and Daequan Cook plus they'll pick up the team option on Chalmers at $847,000.
I underestimated how much Boozer makes. What type of player does $10m get you these days?
lol @ McGrady being the highest paid player in the league and even bigger lol @ Jermaine O'Neal being 3rd.According to that site, Brandon Roy isn't signed for next year. Is that right?
I underestimated how much Boozer makes. What type of player does $10m get you these days?
Hedo Turkoglu and Jose CalderonOh my head.
According to that site, Brandon Roy isn't signed for next year. Is that right?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4379864Because they've agreed to pay him max money the exact amount that will be isn't known until next year's salary cap number comes out in a few weeks so I guesshoopshype is waiting for the exact number.
I could definitely see him in Miami.
Just because Miami would like him doesn't mean he's going there. Nothing really indicates that he's going to leave Dallas. It just makes financial sense for him to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent and then sign with Dallas as opposed to doing an extension of his current contract.
It just makes financial sense for him to opt out and become an unrestricted free agent and then sign with Dallas as opposed to doing an extension of his current contract.
Yeah, by opting out he gets more money and a no trade clause. I don't think this has anything to do with him leaving Dallas. Anybody think Phil Jackson will be coaching another team next year? Apparently the Lakers want him to take a pay cut from $12m to $5m. If I was Lebron or Wade, I would tell all the potential suitors, get Phil and I'll sign with you. Gut feeling, I don't think he leaves.
I know nobody cares, but anyone have any idea what the Kings will do besides hopefully draft Cousins or Johnson?
They have a lot of cap space to work with so they will be in the free agent hunt along with a lot of other teams. I don't see any of the most prominent ones wanting to go there but I'm sure they'll have a shot at overpaying somebody like David Lee.Here's a link to their salary situation.http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htmThey also might be in a position to trade for a player from a team that is looking to get rid of salary.

Let's play everyone's favorite game!Match the Tampering with Lebron Quote with the NBA Fine Imposed!1. "Come July 1st, yeah, of course, anybody would be interested in LeBron James. And if he leaves via free agency, then it's going to be tough. If he does like I'm guessing, hoping he will, which is say, 'I'm not going to leave the Cavs high and dry,' if he decides to leave -- there's still a better chance he stays -- then he'll try to force a sign-and-trade and that gives us a chance."2. "If somebody came to us tomorrow and said you can have LeBron for max money and it puts you in the luxury tax, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But am I going to do that for Ilgauskas? Am I going to do it for Jermaine O'Neal? I don't think so."3. "About five-and-half million, I think he'll take it. Don't you think?"A. $25,000B. $10,000C. $100,000

They have a lot of cap space to work with so they will be in the free agent hunt along with a lot of other teams. I don't see any of the most prominent ones wanting to go there but I'm sure they'll have a shot at overpaying somebody like David Lee.Here's a link to their salary situation.http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htmThey also might be in a position to trade for a player from a team that is looking to get rid of salary.
I really want them to get Bosh and draft Johnson, but I doubt that will happen.
Let's play everyone's favorite game!Match the Tampering with Lebron Quote with the NBA Fine Imposed!1. "Come July 1st, yeah, of course, anybody would be interested in LeBron James. And if he leaves via free agency, then it's going to be tough. If he does like I'm guessing, hoping he will, which is say, 'I'm not going to leave the Cavs high and dry,' if he decides to leave -- there's still a better chance he stays -- then he'll try to force a sign-and-trade and that gives us a chance."2. "If somebody came to us tomorrow and said you can have LeBron for max money and it puts you in the luxury tax, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But am I going to do that for Ilgauskas? Am I going to do it for Jermaine O'Neal? I don't think so."3. "About five-and-half million, I think he'll take it. Don't you think?"A. $25,000B. $10,000C. $100,000
2-A1-C3-BHow did I do ?
2-A1-C3-BHow did I do ?
Yeah, that's right. I'm sure that if a different owner said what Cuban said, the fine wouldn't have been $100,000.

Personally, I think it would be cool if say Lebron, Dwayne, Joe Johnson, Dirk and Chris Bosch held out together and negotiated with the league to start their own franchise that they would each own 20% of

Yeah, by opting out he gets more money and a no trade clause. I don't think this has anything to do with him leaving Dallas. Anybody think Phil Jackson will be coaching another team next year? Apparently the Lakers want him to take a pay cut from $12m to $5m. If I was Lebron or Wade, I would tell all the potential suitors, get Phil and I'll sign with you. Gut feeling, I don't think he leaves.
I think he either stays or retires. My biggest clue was when Jeanie Buss said this: ""I know Phil will be coaching next year, somewhere. Whether it's here or someplace else I don't know," Buss said. "There's going to be a lot of good jobs that come up this summer." [...]"I think if they win, it's like a no-brainer he'll come back because he'll want to win three in a row," Jeanie Buss said. "But [if they don't win], if there isn't that connection, he would understand."The first part sounds to me like she is angling for contract leverage given the rumors of him being asked to take less. The second part seems definitely true to me; if they win, he comes back to try for 3.
Personally, I think it would be cool if say Lebron, Dwayne, Joe Johnson, Dirk and Chris Bosch held out together and negotiated with the league to start their own franchise that they would each own 20% of
I think this would be awful. You want a league to have a bunch of great teams not one Dream Team.

Plus, it doesn't even make any sense.I liked the story about Wade saying that he, Lebron, and Johnson are going to get together to discuss their free agency and then Bosh trying to work his way into the meeting. I think Bosh desperately wants to play with either Lebron or Wade and will end up in whichever place they go to that can still give him max money.

Funny jab at Lebron on twitter from Adrian WojnarowskiWojYahooNBA No, Dwyane Wade is the ringleader -- with one. RT @PDcavsinsider: LeBron on the free agent crop: "I am the ringleader."

There isn't enough ball (or money) to make that team work. With the exception of Dirk, nobody on that list is as desperate as KG and Allen were when they went to Boston.

This is what I would like to see:Lebron and Bosh go to NY. Wade stays in Miami and Amare joins him.Dirk goes to Phoenix to reunite with Nash.Joe Johnson goes to Chicago.I don't really care where Boozer or David Lee go.

This is what I would like to see:Lebron and Bosh go to NY. Wade stays in Miami and Amare joins him.Dirk goes to Phoenix to reunite with Nash.Joe Johnson goes to Chicago.I don't really care where Boozer or David Lee go.
One of these things is not like the others.