Official Obama/mccain Debate Thread

I think we'll see a different McCain tonight if recent weeks are any indication. He's going to get scrappy I think and be much more aggressive in attacking Obama. He needs to be careful not to lose his temper, something he is certainly prone to doing, as when he takes this approach he actually loses ground with independent voters. I think the McCain campaign should focus their energy on winning over independents even if that means upsetting the base a little bit. I think the McCain base is solid- none of them will vote for Obama. The only risk with the base is that they don't vote at all. Obama will have a tough task tonight if the conversation becomes centered around his associations: Ayers, Wrignt, Rezko. I'm not even sure how he will handle it, aside from simply using tag line like, "This is the politics of the past. With the economy in crisis, the American people don't want to hear about pigs and lipstick, they want to know how they are going to pay the rent." Obama's goal on a personal level is to make the McCain campaign look erratic and paint McCain as a hot tempered loose cannon. He shouldn't go too far with that, though, because he is in the lead and his success is coming from sticking to the issues. He needs to hammer home the tax issue. He needs to let the majority of Americans know that he will be lowering their taxes, not raising them. For McCain to win over independents, he really needs to explain his plan and why it will work. They want to hear about solutions and that puts McCain at a crossroads: attack Obama hard or stick to the issues? He's tried the latter a little bit, and it hasn't worked. Therefore I expect tough attacks on Obama's character. For McCain this debate is the point where the hail Mary comes into play, he needs a major game breaker and momentum changer. He needs to scare American voters away from voting for Obama and if he's unsuccessful in doing that, then Obama should win.HOW TO SCORE THIS DEBATE: In my opinion, the keys to victory for both:Obama-protect the lead and don't do anything stupid-stick to the economy and the issues-link McCain to Bush policiesMcCain-attack Obama without alienating independents-scare people away from voting for an "unknown" candidate with a shady cast of friends-explain his plan and offer solutions The candidate that can do those three things will be declared the winner, IMO.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not watching, Ill have it on tivo...if McCain doesnt ask about ayers after obama challenges him to say it to his face.. I will be very very dissapointed

I plan on voting for Tipper Gore
I plan on watching it on the "Hack the Debate" channel. That was and is the funniest and least boring channel ever to watch it on. On channel 196 on DISH in my area. Don't know if you all get it but if you do then watch it for sure. People get to text in their opinions while the debate is going on and and the text appears on the screen and then kind of blows away for the next text. It was hysterical during the Biden Palin debate. Best entertainment value there is.
I think we'll see a different McCain tonight if recent weeks are any indication. He's going to get scrappy I think and be much more aggressive in attacking Obama. He needs to be careful not to lose his temper, something he is certainly prone to doing, as when he takes this approach he actually loses ground with independent voters. I think the McCain campaign should focus their energy on winning over independents even if that means upsetting the base a little bit. I think the McCain base is solid- none of them will vote for Obama. The only risk with the base is that they don't vote at all. Obama will have a tough task tonight if the conversation becomes centered around his associations: Ayers, Wrignt, Rezko. I'm not even sure how he will handle it, aside from simply using tag line like, "This is the politics of the past. With the economy in crisis, the American people don't want to hear about pigs and lipstick, they want to know how they are going to pay the rent." Obama's goal on a personal level is to make the McCain campaign look erratic and paint McCain as a hot tempered loose cannon. He shouldn't go too far with that, though, because he is in the lead and his success is coming from sticking to the issues. He needs to hammer home the tax issue. He needs to let the majority of Americans know that he will be lowering their taxes, not raising them. For McCain to win over independents, he really needs to explain his plan and why it will work. They want to hear about solutions and that puts McCain at a crossroads: attack Obama hard or stick to the issues? He's tried the latter a little bit, and it hasn't worked. Therefore I expect tough attacks on Obama's character. For McCain this debate is the point where the hail Mary comes into play, he needs a major game breaker and momentum changer. He needs to scare American voters away from voting for Obama and if he's unsuccessful in doing that, then Obama should win.HOW TO SCORE THIS DEBATE: In my opinion, the keys to victory for both:Obama-protect the lead and don't do anything stupid-stick to the economy and the issues-link McCain to Bush policiesMcCain-attack Obama without alienating independents-scare people away from voting for an "unknown" candidate with a shady cast of friends-explain his plan and offer solutions The candidate that can do those three things will be declared the winner, IMO.
Can't argue much of this.With the race getting so close, Obama clearly is leading but McCain has made up a little ground. the polls showing LIKELY voters is closer than I thought it would be.McCain needs to show grit and toughness without looking pissy and show us why he should be president, and not why Obama shouldn't. It's getting old.I said I would not watch this debate but I've decided to give it a look anyway. I should be obvious within the first five minutes if It will be worth watching the whole way.If it is nothing the same old broken rhetoric record, well....then it will have been another opportunity lost. And a virtual death nail for Mc Inc.:not too excited about it face:
What spread do you get it at ? I got Obama -185 at bodog.
lol!The only thing getting spread right now is McCain.Obama is throttling him , and frankly, looks more measured and Presidential.McCain just went back to the same ol rhetoric ...man.....ack.The moderator is asking very good questions and is handling the debate well.This has been the more interesting debate so far.

Obama wanted to have vigorous debates about issues? Then why didn't he agree to do it? McCain is coming at him with a shotgun, kind of scattered. Throw enough shit and some of it will stick. It's working, too. Watch Obamas facial expressions. Really funny.

Obama wanted to have vigorous debates about issues? Then why didn't he agree to do it? McCain is coming at him with a shotgun, kind of scattered. Throw enough shit and some of it will stick. It's working, too. Watch Obamas facial expressions. Really funny.
That last part was good for McCain. Obama has been on the defensive for most of this debate.
McCain is stammering a bit, for sure. I think he looks pissed and a bit confused, frustrated, like he just can't get his thoughts out just right or the way he wants to. Definitely has gotten Obama to react, but I think he looks a little desperate...
His facial expressions express disappointment. The throw enough shit gambit may appease the base but it wont help him win this election. He looks desperate and that is contrasted by Obama's incredibly calm demeanor.
Obama is anti drill and anti Nuclear.There is no way in hell we get out of this mess without those two things happening.McCain winning this part imo..........
Again, he is only "winning" because you agree with him. not to mention, Obama has already stated he would be open to more drilling if it was part of a comprehensive policy with some concessions from conservatives. Of course, the GOP thinks compromise is a bad word so.....
His facial expressions express disappointment. The throw enough shit gambit may appease the base but it wont help him win this election. He looks desperate and that is contrasted by Obama's incredibly calm demeanor.
On a day when the Dow dropped 700+ points, I'll take my President with a little fire under his ass. j/s

Yup called him out on his choice of words, that was great.I still wish he would throw back Exxon stuff in his face. He could just say the Exxon employees 106,000 Americans and it would shut him up.