This Week's High Stakes Poker

Seriously. The first 20 minutes of the show dedicated to one hand? Get this guy off the show. I wish Farha would've pulled the trigger on the river and busted him. It was bad enough that Jamie took 20 minutes to talk his way into checking the hand down, but another 15 minutes after the hand was too much. I almost turned the show off, and I LOVE HSP.How do the rest of you feel about this?

Farha shares some of the blame on this hand, and probably cost himself money by playing the word games with Jamie. There has been way too much mugging for TV time this season, and far less good poker than previous seasons. Maybe the editing crew is more to blame than any of the players, though.

Yea, Doyle was cracking me up. Just that first hand killed the entire episode. Just like Gabe said, Jamie pretty much told Sammy that he had Kings. If they get Jamie Gold off of there, I think the show would be so much better.I didn't mind Jamie at the end of last season, in fact he surprised me a few times. He made an excellent lay down against Hellmuth with AK against AK suited on a flush draw. But, that's neither here nor there and I've strayed from my original topic.Also, what's with all of the new faces with the $500k buy in? Do most of the pros not want to risk that much money?

Seriously. The first 20 minutes of the show dedicated to one hand? Get this guy off the show. I wish Farha would've pulled the trigger on the river and busted him. It was bad enough that Jamie took 20 minutes to talk his way into checking the hand down, but another 15 minutes after the hand was too much. I almost turned the show off, and I LOVE HSP.How do the rest of you feel about this?
It was kind of annoying that the hand lasted so long, but it was an interesting hand for a lot of money.

The first 5, maybe 10 minutes I was really interested. They were raising in the dark, and it was just full out gambling. That was really cool to watch. But after Jamie talking his way out of being bet on for 10 minutes or so, I just lost interest. By the end of it I was literally talking to the tv. Telling Sammy to fire away. I know it's prerecorded, but I didn't care. I wanted Jamie Gold off the show after this hand.

I found the first 15 min very entertaining, mainly because it was funny...but if your looking for poker content the editors are starting to do a bad job. Its turning into more of a sitcom. They must have only played like 7-8 hands the entire show, if that. If you got back and watch an episode from season one its the complete opposite, table talk that is shown is kept to a minimum and there are a ton of hands shown. Personally, I would like a happy medium between the two. There are enough other poker resources out there where you dont need to watch high stakes poker to try and learn how to play, but...theres also a reason why these guys dont have their own sit coms...and thats because they are only funny in small doses. cough::jamie::cough

I like how they have Jamie Gold on the Show. He makes the pros play faster and bigger pots. It's nice to have an amateur or non pro in the game because he makes the game a lot better.
I'll agree with that. But they could easily do that with Sammy and Eli Elezra. Watch Season 2 and 3, they get 'em stirred up pretty often.I don't know if the "watching HSP to learn how to play" was directed towards me or not. But, I certainly don't watch it to learn how to play, although the way some of the hands are played gives me a different perspective at times. I have no examples in mind, but I'm sure you all know what I mean by it.They definitely need to show more hands and less chit chat.

But Eli and Sammy know when to stop firing. Gold doesnt. He wont care if you havent played at hand in 2 hrs, he'll bluff you anyway. He's gonna bluff you because he "wants to become the best bluffer in the world". This is why he is better for the game than Sammy or Eli.

But Eli and Sammy know when to stop firing. Gold doesnt. He wont care if you havent played at hand in 2 hrs, he'll bluff you anyway. He's gonna bluff you because he "wants to become the best bluffer in the world". This is why he is better for the game than Sammy or Eli.

I loved it when DN walked into the room at the end of the show. can't wait for Monday. How come nobody has tapped into Doyle as a spokesperson for various products? He's like everbody's grandfather, I think he would be great for lots of ads.

I loved it when DN walked into the room at the end of the show. can't wait for Monday. How come nobody has tapped into Doyle as a spokesperson for various products? He's like everbody's grandfather, I think he would be great for lots of ads.
I was excited also, but I love watching Jamie in this game. It would be better if Antonio left (I love him, but he has not played enough).

I'm glad I watch in online so I can skip all the Jamie Gold talk and watch those obscene hands in fast forward. I enjoy HSP but Gold drives me batshit crazy, I can't stand him.Tom.

I was excited also, but I love watching Jamie in this game. It would be better if Antonio left (I love him, but he has not played enough).
I think he's probably been a bit card dead, and he's playing a tight game waiting for the right hand in one of these huge pots. Now that Gold is gone, Sammy will probably quiet down a little (not much) and the flow of the game will be a little more even, so we'll probably start seeing everyone in a few more pots. I'd imagine that it's tough to want to limp in or call a small raise when someone is going to reraise to 20k every other hand.

what new faces? there is antonius, benyamine, greenstein, who are perhaps the highest stakes gambles in the world and the rest are very well known pros except guy who is just really rich and still plays all the time, and jamie gold who is not a pro (in the sense of the word)

I enjoy HSP but Gold drives me batshit crazy, I can't stand him.
He's okay in tiny doses, but his talking turns into really annoying whining pretty quickly when he begs people pathetically not to raise. I kept getting the feeling that Doyle was going to reach over and smack him starting from when Gold managed to successfully convince Farha not to bet his last $180,000 with those aces.
The first 5, maybe 10 minutes I was really interested. They were raising in the dark, and it was just full out gambling. That was really cool to watch. But after Jamie talking his way out of being bet on for 10 minutes or so, I just lost interest. By the end of it I was literally talking to the tv. Telling Sammy to fire away. I know it's prerecorded, but I didn't care. I wanted Jamie Gold off the show after this hand.
LOLRight, yelling at the television is totally effective if it's live.
LOLRight, yelling at the television is totally effective if it's live.
It's not?! Oh man! Where have you been my whole life to tell me these things?! Telekinesis is a helluva thing. C'mon man, it's like watching a football game. You're gonna root for who you want to win. Cut me some slack.I was happy to see Gold leave. Happy to see DN walk in. Unhappy to hardly see him play a hand.Anyone happen to watch Ace In The House? It was interesting. I wasn't sure what to expect. It was kind of funny to see Matusow win $10k and a small trophy for whooping up on amateurs. Kind of degrading to the guy, in my opinion.
  • 2 weeks later...
I think he's probably been a bit card dead, and he's playing a tight game waiting for the right hand in one of these huge pots. Now that Gold is gone, Sammy will probably quiet down a little (not much) and the flow of the game will be a little more even, so we'll probably start seeing everyone in a few more pots. I'd imagine that it's tough to want to limp in or call a small raise when someone is going to reraise to 20k every other hand.
I think the problem with Antonio, is that he is playing above his head. It seems to me that 500k is way above what he can afford to play with-especailly compared to some of the other guys at the table.