example of how not to play a set in stud

I just sat down at this table, which I had been watching for a few minutes. This is my first hand....Table Table 13836 (Real Money)Seat 0 is the buttonTotal number of players : 8 Seat 2: nickyb1947 ( $240 )Seat 3: krotter18 ( $285.5 )Seat 4: xman123 ( $69.5 )Seat 5: bacon0 ( $111.5 )Seat 6: greaceboy ( $181.5 )Seat 7: samurai_tony ( $75.5 )Seat 8: Jollyjokerxx ( $128.5 )Seat 1: CrosRoads ( $100 )CrosRoads posts ante [$0.5].nickyb1947 posts ante [$0.5].krotter18 posts ante [$0.5].xman123 posts ante [$0.5].bacon0 posts ante [$0.5].greaceboy posts ante [$0.5].samurai_tony posts ante [$0.5].Jollyjokerxx posts ante [$0.5].** Dealing **Dealt to CrosRoads [ Td 9h 8s ]nickyb1947 opens.nickyb1947 bring-ins [$1].krotter18 folds.xman123 calls [$1].bacon0 folds.greaceboy folds.samurai_tony folds.Jollyjokerxx folds.CrosRoads calls [$1].** Dealing Fourth street **Dealt to CrosRoads [ Jh ]xman123 opens.xman123 bets [$3].CrosRoads calls [$3].nickyb1947 folds.** Dealing Fifth street **Dealt to CrosRoads [ Js ]CrosRoads opens.CrosRoads bets [$6].xman123 calls [$6].** Dealing Sixth street **Dealt to CrosRoads [ 2h ]CrosRoads opens.CrosRoads bets [$6].xman123 calls [$6].** Dealing River **Dealt to CrosRoads [ Qc ]CrosRoads opens.CrosRoads bets [$6].xman123 calls [$6].CrosRoads shows [ Td, 9h, 8s, Jh, Js, 2h, Qc ] a straight, eight to queen.xman123 doesn't show [ Ts, 9d, 9c, 9s, 7h, 2s, 5h ] three of a kind, nines.CrosRoads wins $47 from the main pot with a straight, eight to queen.The guy started with [10,9]9, and when he spiked his pair of nines on the board, I made my open ends. When I paired my jack I bet into him, and from then on, he just called my bets. Instead of being aggresive and raising to let me know he had a set, he just called. I would have slowed down, and possibly even folded, had he shown aggression. You cannot slowplay a set in stud. Even if you fear you may be up against a larger set, raise to see where you stand. I will post more hands later.

I'd see it the other way, you aren't going to fold an open-ender, period. Hell you were BETTING INTO HIM with an open ender, you aren't going to fold it.He was minimizing his losses in case he didn't hit his boat, and YOU got lucky that he didn't, because he would have raised you on the river and you'd be out another few bucks.

He had no way to know I was on a draw. An 8 was my up card, and I paired the jacks on 4th and 5th streets. Doubtful I was on a draw here. Switched around, Me being him, I would have assumed The other player had jacks up. I would have raised with my set to see where I stood. This gets more money in the pot if the player with jacks up doesnt' fill up, or if they are a draw, they are forced to call if they have two pair or a pair higher than nines due to pot odds.I feel I played the hand right, but read his hand wrong. I figured him for the pair of nines with either a straight or flush draw, or high live kickers with his pair of nines. He confirmed this when I paired my jacks and bet into him and he just called. Either (1) he was slow playing me, or (2) he thought i had a set of jacks. Either way I feel a raise is in order for him to see where he is at. If I don't spike that queen on the river and check to him, He has already gotten those extra bets in on 5th, 6th street, and I will call with the jacks due to pot odds. Thanks for the response, keep posting. I enjoy discussing hands.Lets try to get this forum rolling.

Guest XXEddie
He had no way to know I was on a draw. An 8 was my up card, and I paired the jacks on 4th and 5th streets. Doubtful I was on a draw here. Switched around, Me being him, I would have assumed The other player had jacks up. I would have raised with my set to see where I stood. This gets more money in the pot if the player with jacks up doesnt' fill up, or if they are a draw, they are forced to call if they have two pair or a pair higher than nines due to pot odds.I feel I played the hand right, but read his hand wrong. I figured him for the pair of nines with either a straight or flush draw, or high live kickers with his pair of nines. He confirmed this when I paired my jacks and bet into him and he just called. Either (1) he was slow playing me, or (2) he thought i had a set of jacks. Either way I feel a raise is in order for him to see where he is at. If I don't spike that queen on the river and check to him, He has already gotten those extra bets in on 5th, 6th street, and I will call with the jacks due to pot odds. Thanks for the response, keep posting. I enjoy discussing hands.Lets try to get this forum rolling.
You had two jacks showing!!! Still wondering why he didnt raise
  • 1 month later...

You did have two jacks showing so it's possible he was afraid of a higher set. Most likely, though, he should have been thinking you had 2 pair. Regardless, he should have attempted to try to figure out what you had by raising instead of just calling to "minimize losses" as someone said.If I were him, I would not have just called your bet on 5th street. He played it fine until then. One raise there would have made you probably fold (knowing nothing about you). As we all know, 5th street is when we want to get people out of the pot when holding a pair or a low set. One simple raise would have done that.