#7361 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:59 PM

View PostScrim, on 28 September 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

I guess that's the thinking.

I'm not sure Alvarez should be a dog, however slight. But I do think it's a tossup.

I give Alvarez the edge because he might just be able to wrestle-fuck Connor for 5 rounds. But, I don't know, I kind of agree with, I think it was Kavanagh, in that McGregor's speed and power down below 170 is insane for the first round and a half, and that Diaz's godlike chin allowed him to survive both of those fights early rounds, and that anyone else taking those shots would have fallen.

I think if Alvarez doesn't wrestle-fuck (without catching one) for the first 2 rounds he might get put down. His chin is not anything like Diaz, or even Aldo who got one-shot.

I'm kind of rambling, but I agree that I'd give odds to Alvarez, but I don't see him as a big favorite.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#7362 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:07 AM

That's sort of like saying "... if only Demian Maia doesn't get a submission, the fight will go some other way".

Diaz has a chin, but it's not Roy Nelson'esque. Kavanaugh deploys shitty logic in transposing McGregor's obvious performance against dwarves at 45 to him against Diaz at 170 and thinking "well, see, if it were anyone BUT Nate Diaz, those shots would've slept them because obviously, look at what he did at 145!" which is not a valid premise. If anything, McGregor's performance against Diaz at WW was evidence that his power absolutely doesn't translate once he gets away from his 1980's Ethiopian weight cut.

So, we now put him against Eddie Alvarez, champion of the world in what is probably the most stacked division.

I'd say that Alvarez has a more solid chin than Diaz, with the added dimension of takedowns and everything on the floor, where McGregor is weakest. McGregor is utterly untested at 55 save for two freakshow fights against one where they very deliberately put him against a guy who they knew would stand and bang.... and he lost one to a RNC.

This, at a minimum, should be a 3-1 fight. Maybe more.
“Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions,”

#7363 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:56 AM

Yeah, so, about all that.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#7364 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

If its any consolation, I lost a shitton of money on that fight... My only hedge was having a lot on Khabib.

Now, lets talk about McGregor holding that 155 strap against either Ferguson or Nurmagomedov.
Answer: he does not.
How many squash matches can Dana White give him before it gets too disgusting for anyone to stand?

Discuss.
“Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions,”

#7365 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 32,836 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

Michael Johnson stunned Khabib in the first. Maybe Conor can as well

Conor can beat Ferguson because Ferguson will stand and bang
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#7366 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Also, recall the Lando Vannata fight where Ferguson, fighting against a much smaller man making his octagon debut, pretty much almost got beat by straight counter-punching. IMO that was Round of the Year.

I'm not touching McGregor against Ferguson, but I will make every dime I lost back on him v Khabib.

Regrettably, this is how it will probably go.

The UFC, not wanting to kill the golden goose, will stretch his title at 55 a long as possible. This means Khabib fighting Ferguson. Figure McGregor works in a title defense at 45 - plus his very openly making significant demands against the UFC for equity, etc meaning that 'contract dispute' is another reason for delaying- we won't see McGregor defend at 155 until the ass end of 2017.

#7367 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

View PostScrim, on 13 November 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

Now, lets talk about McGregor holding that 155 strap against either Ferguson or Nurmagomedov.
Answer: he does not.

Discuss.

I don't know what it is about McGregor that people just lose their senses in regards to how dangerous he is - but, yeah, no.

It is nowhere near that simple. Yes, Khabib is a straight monster on the ground, and in getting it to the ground. For this reason alone I would absolutely have him as a favorite. But the whole unequivocal "no" thing is absurd, at this point. Like Ron pointed out, Khabib got stunned badly by MJ.

MJ couldn't stun Diaz. He outboxed him until Diaz got in his head, but he never hurt him. McGregor put Diaz on his ass again and again and again.

To not see this translates into a very dangerous situation for Khabib is crazy to me.

Sure, I'd lay down 60/40 on Khabib, probably. But not thinking McGregor could reasonably knock him cold is silly, imo.

#7368 Spademan

Spademan

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

Since Dana is talking about going into Russia, some people are looking for Khabib vs Conor possibility because people like to jump the gun and get hyped for shit that probably won't happen. However, it has given me a couple of highlight videos that have made me change my mind.

I wouldn't take 60/40 with Khabib as favorite, it's more 50/50 for me now. Looking at a bunch of clips of Khabib striking with his wild abandon, ducking his head the same way every single time as he swings, I have him in real, real trouble on the feet vs Conor. Particularly to uppercuts.

Regardless, I'd want to see the fight, obviously, because somebody is getting smashed one way or another.

#7369 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:22 PM

There really is no denying McGregor's striking at this point and Khabib looked weak'ish during R1 against MJ, but we're looking at 2 years of ring rust there and in the end, he still completely smoked him.

I hope I can get Khabib at pick'em price.

Lets not forget that Connor McGregor couldn't decisively beat Nate Diaz.
The flip side to that is that Khabib hasn't faced anything like McGregor's striking.

Still, buying Khabib and I will win.

#7370 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

Garbrandt @ +195
Rousey @ -130
Dillishaw by Decision @ +110
Thatch @ -145

#7371 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 32,836 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

2 outta 4 ain't bad

I was on Nunes, Cody, Thatch and TJ, but that was just dfs. Felt strong about all

#7372 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 32,836 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:12 AM

Fights

#7373 Scrim

Scrim

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

10 years since this thread was started, talking about Couture v Silvia.

Tonights card is meh. I'm jamming money into Khabib right now, including a future bout with McGregor.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users